Racetep - TEP - Top End Performance ???

PK_89Quest

Racetep - Top End Performance - Real or Junk  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• This Company is the real deal - I work with them
    • This Company is total Crap - Low Grade Junk

I voted positively only because of their offerings. I have called them a few times inquiring about parts but it's like they don't care what you have to say. I can understand if they are busy but if you ask me, they need some serious work on their coustomer service.

I've talked with Randy on the phone and 101propose and Mr. Dahman through email or PM. All three were very patient and helpful even if i had some tupid questions. TEP could take note of this.

I've only had 2 TEP things on my car. OVCP which is good and 2.5" DP which couldn't use the heat shields because the O2 bung was in the wrong place.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I just bought a set of pauter rods from them and they shipped them right out with the cheapest price of anyone else i checked with. I would say it depends on what your buying from them, definitely alot of there stuff seems overpriced but shop it around.

My only question whit the guy who's motor blew is did he take propper care of it and let it brake in properly... Cause the best person out there can build a motor and it will still blow if you treat it wrong... I've delt with tep a few times... mainly cause at the time they were the only vendor i could find that had stuff for my car. ya they can be a bit short at times... but they also seem to deal with a fairly big work load... witch i would take as a good sign... cause if your good you end up with the work... so ya, if your looking for nice a friendly searvices then they are not for you... but aside from that the only bad thing I've had happen was they told me the cam gear was included in the silent shaft deleat kit (it wasn't)... i found it for $14 by it's self on google shopping... but i still needed everything in the kit... having worked for a parts store before simple mistakes like that are not always the fault of the vendor..

When I started my motor build in 1999 as as far as I knew TEP was the only one doing anything with these vehicles so I naturally bought my stuff from them....19c/head/pistons/aic system/cam/bov/tokikos front/rear/slotted rotors/ss/lines/intercooler some machine work amongst many other things..Im sure if I were more computer savy back then I may have found alot of stuff cheaper elsewhere but there website made it so easy to just get from tep.....I probably spent 6grand with them. I am one that asks alot of questions when im layin down my loot especially when dealing in thousands and no matter how many times I called I always spoke with steve and he always answered my questions without an attitude As a matter of fact I had some questions about some t/b work they did for me 10yrs ago and he gave me all the info I needed right away like I just had it done yesterday .Did I pay too much...perhaps....but I must say that my dealings have been fine with steve/tep...heck he even threw me a free tep t-shirt....

Just my 2.6cents

gig out

I wonder how many people commenting in this thread have actually been to TEP in person like I have.

living on the east coast i have never been there and maybe i would change my tune if i did go to the shop---but how many times have you gone into the kitchen at your favorite resturant?If you did perhaps you would not go there anymore---

gig out

ALRIGHT NOW I want a motor built with no problems WHO do i go to----straight up

Dad or TEP?

Adding my 2 cents. When I got into the Starquest game, TEP seemed to have a lot of parts and performance packages all in one place (one stop shopping). I got a complete brake package, rotors, pads and SS lines and later all the HP and BOV set; no issues, order was confirmed via e-mail with tracking no and things arrived on time. I had questions about TEP's MPI/TB conversion with stock intake and spoke directly with Steve. He wasn't rude, just matter of fact and to the point. With all that said, now that I've been in this game for a few years, there are a lot of other options and much better pricing, TEP is relatively $$$. If you are serious about getting a good engine build, use DAD. I just finished my engine build, got Wisecos and all engine components from DAD, great guy to work with, answers any e-mail questions and well established reputation on this and other forums. He has all the parts you will need and I'm sure you'll be happier with the results. Good luck with your project.

Like i said i bought my rods from tep only because of the price, but what i didn't say was i have dad building my engine. I have been to his shop and talked to him, he has a nice shop and knows alot about these engines and i trust him 100%, I'd go with dad!

Overpriced and there customer service is terrible, bought parts from them years ago and one of the things I had ordered was a braided oil line for the turbo and when I received it had a crimp in the line and we hadn't noticed it and installed it, it leaked, so when I call them back they basically told me I'm s.o.l and that even though it was a defective part they would not return it. That was 10 years ago and I still hold the grudge. I wouldn't buy a part from them unless they were the only people who had it, and even then I would try and find a way out of doing businesse with them. There are much better options available now days for these cars than there was back then.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding my 2 cents. When I got into the Starquest game, TEP seemed to have a lot of parts and performance packages all in one place (one stop shopping). I got a complete brake package, rotors, pads and SS lines and later all the HP and BOV set; no issues, order was confirmed via e-mail with tracking no and things arrived on time. I had questions about TEP's MPI/TB conversion with stock intake and spoke directly with Steve. He wasn't rude, just matter of fact and to the point. With all that said, now that I've been in this game for a few years, there are a lot of other options and much better pricing, TEP is relatively $$$. If you are serious about getting a good engine build, use DAD. I just finished my engine build, got Wisecos and all engine components from DAD, great guy to work with, answers any e-mail questions and well established reputation on this and other forums. He has all the parts you will need and I'm sure you'll be happier with the results. Good luck with your project.

Speaking from experience, TEP rebuilt my starion engine and they didn't do a good job. The engine kept smoking and once he's got your money you can forget getting service. Basically you're guilty until proven guilty or until you leave and never come back. That guy Steve sends the engine to his machine shop and someone else assembles the engine parts.

The one thing I noticed about the G54B short block is it is solid. What I mean is it doesn't require rebuilding, I know because I rebuilt it myself and saw first hand the internals. People who don't know to much about this engine just rebuild the engine because it's got over 100k miles but typically if it's smoking it's because of bad valve stem seals or turbo rings are bad or blown head gasket.

So I don't recommend Tep to rebuild your engine. If you can't do it yourself than send it to DAD instead.

Edited by Juggary
  • Like 1

TEP is pricey!!!

I see their products on eBay all the time. They do have a good quality td05 to a t3 turbo mount flange adapter but its $200 after shipping. Turbochargers.com has all sorts of Starion turbos that mount like stock up to a 20g. I plan on a big evo 3 td05H-16g in the future with fuelinjectionpros.com injector/ecu set-up. Its will definitely push the stock engine to the max. If it blows... F-it.

Edited by 1989STAR-ESIR

• 3 months later...
I just had my 89 quest at Top End Performance and had a great experience. Everyone was very helpful. Steve the owner was very informative and knowledgeable. They did a great job on the installation and got everything back in a timely manner. Omar walked me thru everything that he did to the car. My old parts that I wanted to keep were returned and organized. The car was clean and tight. This is my second starion/conquest and was not aware of Top End when I owned my first one. I am glad to know that they are still keeping the dream alive for these underrated cars. You have a customer for life!

• 1 month later...

I've had TEP's street prepped head (TEP charges $1300+ btw) which I got secondhand with a long block. It's been okay I guess, although I now have a couple bad valve guides. Okay that happens, but the TEP 272/274 cam wore through the lobes. Talking to Tim C (resident cam expert) he's heard directly about 5 of 10 of these cams having the same happen = poor quality castings.

What's worse was in the past I bought their b-pipe to complete my 2.5" catback exhaust. Unfortunately what I got was this piece...which has a restriction welded inside so that it could mate up with a smaller stock exhaust. I already had their TEP downpipe which replaces the stock primary cat convertor with a straight 2.5" pipe. That downpipe was a good piece, but didn't match up to their own TEP b-pipe! Even if it did, the restriction to less than 2.0" ID makes this part pointless! They were very dismissive when I tried to call about this and would not accept a return without restock fee & me paying return ship - even with the visible damage to the end upon the eventual (late) shipping. Whatta crock.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10168/TEP%20Crap2.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10168/TEP%20Crap.jpg