How does everyone like there Megasquirt?

Hi All,

I was wondering if the users of Megasquirt where happy with it.

Is this the best bang for the buck or is there some thing better for the same money?

What is every one else using and how do you like it?

Been looking at a lot of different ones and not sure what I want to get, but am thinking about the Megasquirt.

Any and all info will be helpful.

Thanks

I'm glad to see theres at least one other person here that wants more opinions on this.

I really thought there would be more input on this.

I've been running it for quite a while (around two years) and I love it. Some pros:

1. Cheapest EMS you'll find

2. Best support I've ever seen

3. You will know a LOT about how your system works

4. Free software upgrades

5. Cheap hardware upgrades

Some Cons:

1. It's DIY. Even if you get it prebuilt you may have to do a tiny bit of tweeking(esp the tach input)

2. It's DIY so there's no warranty (if it breaks you probably broke it)

3. It's DIY so you don't have the bragging rights of having spent $1-3K on your EMS :lol:

4. Some features like knock sensing require that you DIY some of the additional hardware, etc. (nothing too major)

5. No sequential injection (for 99% of us not a con at all)

Today is the second day my car is on the road, with my MPI and M'squirt. I LOVE the MS. I think it's the best bang for the buck! It controls some many things...

There are pro's and con's of all setups. One thing I love though is the DIY factor! Anyone can bolt on parts, but not everyone can tackle a project like building/installing a MS even on a already injected setup.

All in all, I"m very impressed.

"No sequential injection" isn't a problem really. Alot of FI engines these days aren't. It's only help economy I've heard. Some of the old FI, MPI, V8's fired 4 times per RPM. So they squirted 1 bank 2 times per RPM.

I'm excited to MS my motorcycle this coming winter!

Shawn

Quite a few nice squirted 2.6s poppin' up lately.

MS always appeaed to me but looks like there is a serious learing curve and you better make the time to understand it.. and thats only to get it operational. Tuning is the other half, that you'll need to learn no matter what system you choose. For all these projects I have, kinda thinkin' MS be worth the extra effort... starting off with a preassembled unit.

I'll run the $640 SDS fuel only for the first mpi conversion (I'm surrounded by guys who get them up and sorted in minutes, literally).

I've seen good performing 2.3 turbo fords online that run the ~$700 Holley 950 commander or the $750 EMS. Both do fuel and timing... ran very well and produced fast ETs. Tuned by the owners too. Not bad options imo

Well I know I don't get on here near as much as I used to but I can tell you about what i've been working on. My objective is to be able to tell other questers how to use MS on a stock setup doing NO wire hacking. I've got my 87 quest running it's not 100% yet because I don't have my WideBand o2 complete as of yet. But one of the coolest things the MS will do that some ppl might not know about yet is Dual Table. That way you can configure MS to work like stock. Working from the primary inj at low rpms then have it run the sec inj when it sees boost and/or higher rpms. Using Dual Table is just as it sounds a table for each inj, originally concepted for water injection and nitrous... the possiblities are endless!!! There are people who have used MS to control boost, Sparking, gez you name it. Some of the things require an additional hardware here n there but nothing major and all are low cost... far lower than prebuilt stamped stuff. I'm doing it like that to make my 87 run to as close to stock as possible. Yes I do have a MPI intake waiting in the wings but I wanted to take the time and disconnect the computer and make it work on a stone stock car. Once I get it all done i'll upload it to msefi.com if you havn't been there and looked around it's a MUST!!! As was already stated the amount of help on this is uncomparable to a company. MS flat out RULES. Plus if you do take the time and built it and do it all yourself you have the ability to say ok something isn't working right with the temp reading and that is working through said resistor... but then again there are those who could careless about electronics and just play with the tuning via PC or PDA for that matter. And if thats the case get it prebuilt and have fun :D .

L8r

Zero

The megasquirt is very cool.

You'll find out much more about at MSEFI.com and the tech forums.

I lurk in those forums frequently from time to time as well.

I love it so far. I need to get my clutch in, do some brake and front end work and then I'll be able to start tuning it and get it inspected and back on the road.

Im running MS with a Magna modified intake, Ford EDIS ignition.

I still have to upgrade my fuel pump and some lines, but Im very happy with it so far.

It sounds really mean. I can't wait to get it on the road.

For the price its the best standalone money can buy. Its also a great learning expirence.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a squirted '86

All stock sensors except coolant temp.

Gm style screwed in the t-stat housing

86 air temp sensor b "ovc pipe" works perfect

I cut a stock harness out of my old parts car.

Used the Inj/tps/air temp wires to make my M/S harness

Factory ecu and harness remains intact.

Both ecu's will run the car, just swap plugs.

Built the harness, installed and had it drivable in one weekend.

Very cost effective system. runs better than ever.

I highly recommend a W/B O2. So easy to tune with.

The biggest con as to why I did not go with MS on my car is, it is fuel only. Richie-Rich mentioned the Ultra-MS that will be able to control ignition as well. Yes you can get a MPI running really quick using a fuel only EMS, but the ignition map is where you make your hp. My Haltech was all the DIY I could handle.

The biggest con as to why I did not go with MS on my car is, it is fuel only.

Actully MS Ultra or whatever was fased out. MegaSquirt MSnS controls spark, eeaston, questpa and some otherr are running it with the Ford EDIS, and I will be soo too. The MSnS controls spark, and has many other features built into it.....like rev limiter, launch control, traction control, water injection, knock control and the list goes on. All you have to do is download the lastest firmwear and flash your box. Then you have fuel and spark control.

Shawn

All you have to do is download the lastest firmwear and flash your box. Then you have fuel and spark control.

Shawn

Holy sh$%! Are you serious?!?!?!?!?! So, all i'd need after that is that Ford EDIS(coil packs and such??), and find out how to mount a CAS? That'll get rid of the stock dizzy right?

Man, all you MS guys need to move to Az. :D

I have mine with the FIP TB kit, but haven't tuned anything yet.. I don't even have the program for it yet. Admittedly, it's a bit intimidating. :oops: :?

All you have to do is download the lastest firmwear and flash your box. Then you have fuel and spark control.

Shawn

Holy sh$%! Are you serious?!?!?!?!?! So, all i'd need after that is that Ford EDIS(coil packs and such??), and find out how to mount a CAS? That'll get rid of the stock dizzy right?

I have mine with the FIP TB kit, but haven't tuned anything yet.. I don't even have the program for it yet. Admittedly, it's a bit intimidating. :oops: :?

Yes indeed! Check out this page.

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/index.html

Shawn

Shawn

JustPaus_88TSi,

Please keep in mind that our FC-1S ECU is not a megasquirt. The FC-1S was designed by us. It has a four layer printed circuit board( for better resistance to eletrical noise) and is smaller (3"X5") than the MS. The connector is a 25 pin and the pinout is different than the MS. We designed it to be compatable with the Megatune- tuning software while we finish writing our FuelinjectionPro/ IgnitionPro software. We offer our IgnitionPro1 programable timing controller for use with a stock distubutor that has the vaccum advance and fly wt's removed and a CD ignition. Also we will have a setup for the EDIS soon. Also you get a warranty with our systems, person to person support everday(10am to 10pm est), and tuning help should you need it ( over 95% of our kits are running just the way we shiiped them!) almost 70 on Conquest's alone.

The MegaSquirt MSnS firmware may run on the FC-1S, but the connections would be different and we have not tried it. If you want to try, let us know, will'l help.

ED

Also you get a warranty with our systems, person to person support everday(10am to 10pm est), and tuning help should you need it ( over 95% of our kits are running just the way we shiiped them!) almost 70 on Conquest's

ED

the best part is this. any trouble i've had Ed or Scott has called me on the phone to help me out.

hopefully we can get this ignition working tomorrow when you call

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have made my mind up...

I'm going with the Megasquirt 2 V3.0

Thanks everyone for all the good info.

I still can't deceide between Megasquirt 2 with the v3.0 PCB or FIP. All depends on the specs i find out from Ed.

Ed want to chime in with your Processor specs you use as that is what is keeping me from buying your setup. I need to know the speed of the Processor used, Ram amount on the Processor, etc.

Call me ASAP cause Megasquirt 2 is looking good with its 16 bit, 24mhz, 32kbytes Ram Motorola Processor. If your system matches this or is better then i will be definately going Fc-1 and Ign-1 Computers all day long!

Jared Seymour

(859) 224-9551