Finally got a computer upgrade

ucw458

But I'm not sure how much I want to use it.

The computer I've been using for the past 8 years is an old dell dimension 2400. Single core pentium 4, 2.6 gig with 2 gig of ram, 10 gig and 120 gig IDE HDs, no add on graphics card and win XP. Kinda slow but gets the job done. I got my hands on a dell inspiron touchscreen laptop. AMD A6 quad core 1.8 gig with 8 gig ram and 1 terabite drive. Arguably a better machine but not fast enough to play all the cool new games. Thinking of hooking it to my bigger monitor and using it like a desktop.

The only drawback so far is windows 8.1. WTH? Why is 8.1 so different? Where did the start button go? What is all this random crap on the desktop? It's gonna take awhile just to figure out how to use the new operating system. So for now I'm still using the old computer. The light at the end of the tunnel is on the first boot it said I can reserve a free upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out in july. Win 10 has a start button and should be easier than win 8.1. I may delay using this laptop until I get the win 10 upgrade.

One word. Startisback. 3 dollars for a start button that basically rids you of the Windows Metro screen. Original control panel and everything.

http://startisback.com/

The fact that people took the time to make that program shows that microsoft screwed up by deleting the start button. I've used PCs since I was a kid and nothing has thrown me a curve ball like windows 8. Took me awhile just to find the control panel so I could turn off the touchpad mouse.

The fact that people took the time to make that program shows that microsoft screwed up by deleting the start button. I've used PCs since I was a kid and nothing has thrown me a curve ball like windows 8. Took me awhile just to find the control panel so I could turn off the touchpad mouse.

Same here. I built a hardcore gaming setup and I was not about to stand for the Metro BS. I am quite excited about the Windows 10 start button though.

I hate Windows 8. To me the best Windows software was when it was simple like XP or 2000. I dont need my computer to act like a tablet. Makes it too hard to organize stuff or find anything.

Not to mention I like to play games and would prefer if the OS system itself wasnt using so much of the RAM or graphics card just trying to operate.

My brother just brought my computer back to me which he set up for gaming. ucw you should definitley get GTA V if you wanna see some great graphics. I cant even max it out on my computer and it looks awesome. Plus some of the mods for the PC version are cool. Like a hack that lets you shoot cars from your gun. Or a riot/rampage mod that makes all the citizens have guns and go crazy.

I have people bring me brand new computers and downgrade to windows 7 cause win 8 SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ( classic shell 8 puts it back to a windows 7 feel )

I have my win8 set up to boot to desktop and then use the metro screen as the start menu. Love it.

Most people never organized their start menus so they were a mess anyway. Heck a lot of people still have program icons on their desktop, Win 3.0 style. Take some time to figure 8 out, it is better.

No need for a start button, jut right click in the lower left corner. ;) If you hate Win8, (like I do), do the free Windows 10 upgrade and you'll lose the tile screen and go straight to the desktop instead.

I hate Windows 8. To me the best Windows software was when it was simple like XP or 2000. I dont need my computer to act like a tablet. Makes it too hard to organize stuff or find anything.

Not to mention I like to play games and would prefer if the OS system itself wasnt using so much of the RAM or graphics card just trying to operate.

My brother just brought my computer back to me which he set up for gaming. ucw you should definitley get GTA V if you wanna see some great graphics. I cant even max it out on my computer and it looks awesome. Plus some of the mods for the PC version are cool. Like a hack that lets you shoot cars from your gun. Or a riot/rampage mod that makes all the citizens have guns and go crazy.

Oh man, if there were a 64-bit XP I'd be all over that

The theory behind Win8 was to make a universal OS that was seemless between tablets, smart phones, and desktop/laptops. They continue to push this concept and there is much effort out there to get android apps to run on PCs but so far there has been no solid "universal operating system" that crosses platforms successfully.

I think there is way more ppl that dislike windows 8 than like it

I think it was a rushed pos os myself widows 10 aint bad but windows 7 beats them all with windows xp coming in close to win 7

8? 10? You speaking alien to me. Still rocking 5! :lol:

Jeff is about time. Your computer looked like the ones you see in those early 80's Sci-fi tech movies! With the giant spools of tape!

Hey, I've got flat screen monitors if you need one. That 100 lb brick you got has to go.

I'm going to Ventura next week, I'll toss it in the tow truck on the way back drop it off.

It is also a free upgrades to your windowsill 8 when fully released

I have been reading it is a free upgrade for just about anything other than Windows RT or Windows XP/older. That said, it's only a free upgrade for 1 year and after that you would have to pay 120 or 200 bucks for home or pro versions. Release date July 29th.

I have been reading it is a free upgrade for just about anything other than Windows RT or Windows XP/older. That said, it's only a free upgrade for 1 year and after that you would have to pay 120 or 200 bucks for home or pro versions. Release date July 29th.

From what I've read, most windows 7-8 users can get the free for life upgrade. With a few exclusions like win 7-8 enterprize edition. Windows vista, XP and pirated copies of any windows can get a free windows 10 beta version upgrade but will have to pay for it once the final version is released.

It looks like most windows 7-8 users can get a free for life upgrade as long as they do it within one year of the windows 10 release.

What I wonder is how long will windows 7 be supported? I'm betting microsoft doesn't want to be shackled to it like they were with XP. Windows 7 was a good upgrade from XP. A few things were different but a bunch of stuff was better. I'm hoping windows 10 is the same way.

From what I've read, most windows 7-8 users can get the free for life upgrade. With a few exclusions like win 7-8 enterprize edition. Windows vista, XP and pirated copies of any windows can get a free windows 10 beta version upgrade but will have to pay for it once the final version is released.

It looks like most windows 7-8 users can get a free for life upgrade as long as they do it within one year of the windows 10 release.

What I wonder is how long will windows 7 be supported? I'm betting microsoft doesn't want to be shackled to it like they were with XP. Windows 7 was a good upgrade from XP. A few things were different but a bunch of stuff was better. I'm hoping windows 10 is the same way.

probably not long, since the 10 is the plan of migrating phones/tablets/computers together, and it works damn well!

XP has been fading out since 7 was released, and with 10 running better on low end systems than 7, and some cases XP sp3!

sp3 seemed to have hurt XP alot

From what I understand even people with illegal copies of windows 7 are going to be able to upgrade to 10 for free, no strings attached (Although running it in an 'unofficial' version wont change the status. It will work but still nag your using an unlicensed copy.

But yeah - the upgrade is for win 7/8 users. No XP.

From what I understand even people with illegal copies of windows 7 are going to be able to upgrade to 10 for free, no strings attached (Although running it in an 'unofficial' version wont change the status. It will work but still nag your using an unlicensed copy.

But yeah - the upgrade is for win 7/8 users. No XP.

that is my understanding as well, HOWEVER they DID specify it would be a special version. so probably a stripped or missing features, or work like a trial

their goal is to get everyone on the new system