Time for a new toy

AndyW

ok, time for a new toy. Im looking for around the 4 to 6 thousand range.

I think I have narrowed it down to 3

90-93 Ford supercoupe 5 speed

Stealth twin turbo any year

99ish Trans Am

Or any other toys? Im about all conquested out

Opinions? pros cons?

I've owned a 3000gt vr4 and while they are fun cars they are a bear to work on due to how the engine bay is packaged. If that doesn't deter you I say go for it. Otherwise one thing I'd love to build and learn about is rotary motors so I think at some point I may pick up a 1st gen mazda rx7, add an imsa body kit, and modify the crap out of it. Edited by speedyquest

I have had an itch to go forced induction again but those Trans ams have always caught my eye, what year did the LS1 start?

http://pittsburgh.cr...5006275157.html

I only plan on keeping it a few years then get something else, so its not the end of the world either way

I have had a couple decent bites on my roadrunner so a few weeks time i hope to be in something a bit more latemodel that I can shift again :)

I see no love for the Thunderbird tho ehe?

Edited by AndyW

The super coupe was nothing to mess with back in the early 90's, for a stock car

you just don't see much of them around. Nice sleeper cars though.

The trans am is a better looking car, make sure you get a nice clean one.

Edited by lionbull

Hate to say it but I'd pick the TA. Not very fond of the looks but the ls1 engine is great.

Not sure what the price is down to now but I'd love to have one of those earlier caddy cts-v

For a more reliable beater than the turbo cars I'd consider a later model eclipse gt with the 3.7 v6. They are enjoyable to drive. Again not sure if they have dropped down to that price bracket yet.

Haven't been too focused on cars lately. Would love to add another fun to drive beater since I sold my dd conquest away a year or so ago but have been spending my time and money on tractors and other things to work on this new home and property. I'm jealous haha.

Kevin

I know I'll get flamed, but I really like,my GT mustang.

I don't understand why almost everyone on here hates them so much?

I got my 2000 GT in stick for half your estimated budget.

You aren't the only one that loves them. I was a mustang guy long before I was a SQ guy.

The problem with the mustangs is the same problem the honduh crowd has. There are some legit cars out there, and they can be fun cars in stock trim, but it is all of the posers who just throw a cold air intake pipe and loud muffler on it, cut the springs to lower it, and think they have the fastest race car on wheels. And they usually drive like complete ehhhhh-holes. I am also noticing it more and more with the crowd that drives those lil mini cooper things around my area. They have become the new civic type ricer idiots, in my opinion, based on the way they drive around here.

Of the three cars listed...I would probably go for the stealth/3Kgt. T/A's and Camaros are like bellybuttons, everyone has one, they have also usually lived pretty hard lives and seen some hard miles. The T-bird S/Cs can be problematic, because of hard miles and years of abuse also, from what I have heard. But being an SQ owner...you should be used to that.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been currently shopping for a daily driver/beater car....I have mostly been looking at early 2000's civic 2 door, 5spd cars. They are hard to find without 200k plus miles or completely being riced out. I am hoping to pick one up tomorrow, that I found on Craigslist. Great gas mileage and will run forever if they aren't abused and maintenance is kept up.

BC_99

I want to stick with RWD or AWD and a 5 speed with sunroof, t-top or targa . I also have a love affair to the late 80s BMW 635 but its hard to find one without a gazilion miles. plus maintenance can break a budget pretty quick on such an odd car. I also love the 90 supra turbo targa. Im tired of working on them more than driving them, I have a fun old tractor i like to work on more any way these days. If i were to find a Trans AM i would look hard for a WS-6 and not just your run of the mill V-8 firebird.

Reliability wise i would imagine the Trans AM or the Supra would be the best bet. I need something with a back seat, although the kids are young so being small is not a problem.

I'm one of the mustang haters... sorry lol. dunno, they just are just too popular. i know the trans ams are too but they have a better feel to me.

Edited by AndyW

I guess it's an NYC thing... Mustangs aren't common. There are two vintage sl Benz just on my block. Three e30 bmw around the block. In my 1 single square mile neighborhood with 40 thousand people packed in, I have counted over a dozen vintage land cruisers, yet only five older Mustangs. Two sn95, two new edge, and one Fox. Mine and the Fox are the only v8 ones. So that's only 1 in 20,000 people with a pre s197 GT. Goes to show how regions differ. Edited by Malykaii

So I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you, but the modular v8 mustang is indestructible. Mine is high miles and beaten on by 6 owners, and its,never had a breakdown in 4 years.

I dig the trans am idea.

Also, if you like bmw, maybe an e30, e32, or e34? All fairly reliable and available in stick.

Saab 900t? Fwd, though.

man you could get a nice Audi S4 V8 AWD.

thats something different.

but out of Your 3 listed.

id go for the T/A WS6 Ram air

honorable mention for me.

RX7 LS swapped with Wide Body Kit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Miguel-Newera/DSC_1041.jpg

or the extra wide body kit. looks like a porsche 928.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/francogt1/157.jpg

Kind of a CONVETTE type

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo223/regamast7/rrr.jpg

Trans Am or Camaro, if you want to go v8 with a manual trans. Reliable, more than all those are cars you mentioned and certainly way more reliable than any rotary.

Too bad the Mustang Cobras are out of your price range, that would be my preferred choice.

Audi S4 V8 AWD

I think he said reliable and budget of 6k,lol

I worked at an indie VW/Audi shop. Those getrag manual trans fail. Those v8 timing chains are a joke. That whole car may cost 6k, but once you start driving it you'll hit the 10k mark with ease.

I kind of figured that you weren't a mustang fan being that it wasn't on your list but a t/a was. I've always wanted a fox body mustang. Preferably a mid 80s gt convertible or a late 80s-early 90s lx 5.0 convertible. But every time it considered buying one, I ended up with another conquest lol.

Kevin

Guess hater was pretty harsh, I honestly dont hate mustangs. I love the new body style actually... In highschool a buddy had an 83 Capri 5.0 and his dad had an 86. So I spent alot of time in them and drove quit a few times. It just didnt do anything for me.

Dont know what I will end up with. If i dont like it ill just sell it and get something else. lol

I have had a couple decent bites on my roadrunner so a few weeks time i hope to be in something a bit more latemodel that I can shift again :)

You've got a Plymouth Roadrunner for sale?

Is it a '60's muscle car vintage?

If so, PM me some pictures, it's history and specs.

I may be interested in buying it.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Wow you guys were right on the cts v. It's holding its value well.

I had a 2006 mazdaspeed6. They are awd and manual and are close to your price range now with higher mileage. I loved that car. Unfortunately I totaled it due to a torrential downpour driving home next to a canal. As quick and versatile as they are, they don't function too well as a boat. Haha

Capri 5.0.... I forgot about those. There are so many cars I'd love to own and most are fairly affordable.

The cts-v value is almost ridiculous. A nice 12 year old one with about 80k fetches $20k. But if I have that kind of cash for a car, I can get a 5 year old supercharged model with under 80k for $28... wt....

Volvo 240 Wagon or Sedan. Put an LSx in it and put it on a air bag suspension. You will be the envy of hipster every where you go.

Toyota Cressida Sedan X30 (76 - 80) - Drop a 1/2jzgte in it. Old people will show you respect for being sensible until you do burn outs

Toyota Celica GT Liftback (76 + 77) - take all the toyota emblems off and take it to Ford meets.

Toyota Van (LeVan, LiteAce, Etc) - simply because you can