So, who sells Delphi injectors? Only Trilogy Turbos????

BandY

Simple question. Online, it suggested that Advance Auto sells Delphi, yet nothing comes up for my 1986 TSi.

I need to get some new injectors like YESTERDAY. Is there a better brand I can turn to?

THANK YOU

Nothing will come up because they aren't a drop in replacement. They are physically taller and need the top hat (fuel rail) spaced out. Half an inch, I just measured one.

Yeah, they have an auction on eBay that ends tomorrow, and it's for the 85/86 ones. Exactly what I need. I have their number, so I'll call em.

Thanks for your input. I've heard good and bad about using these new ones on our old cars. The spray is different, but Trilogy says they've changed the spray pattern. Who knows how true it is, of course.

I got my first set from these guys several years back. http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/

They can machine the top to fit into our top hats. Otherwise you have to drill out the top hat for a stock delphi to fit.

BC_99

Is the issue going from 14mm to 12mm?

All you need is the Delphi part # and you can buy them for a lot cheaper. Some of the similar Delphi ones sell for as low as $30 each.

I'll look in the garage, I still have the boxes with the Delphi part #'s on them someplace. You'll need longer bolts for the top hat and some kind of spacer that's about a half inch to sit between the top hat and throttle body. No mods to the top hat or TB were needed at all. It's an easy mod.

Others sell them as well:

EBAY listing from Fuel injector Clinic

Edited by Fuze

Finally got the injectors today and put em in. The car runs like complete garbage. Won't even idle, and the only way it'll stay rooming is if i keep feathering the accelerator. This blows.

Yeah, they have an auction on eBay that ends tomorrow, and it's for the 85/86 ones. Exactly what I need. I have their number, so I'll call em.

Thanks for your input. I've heard good and bad about using these new ones on our old cars. The spray is different, but Trilogy says they've changed the spray pattern. Who knows how true it is, of course.

I'm just assuming that they sent me two 850 cc injectors, as the auction labeled them. Nobody mentioned that i would need different injector management after the ecu. All i was aware of was that my clips would need to be plugged in upside down. I don't even have another three hundred bucks to throw into this upgrade. Dang

Edited by BandY

If you got FIC injectors the size will be marked on the side.

You don't need a peak hold box or anything else to run aftermarket injectors. They will work but the spray pattern is different. Stock ones sprayed a 45 deg cone. Aftermarkets spray a 15 deg cone. MPI pattern) The narrow pattern doesn't work as well in TBI but it does work. Easiest way to say this is they are about 90-95% as good as stock. But there are no other options so it's what you have to live with.

A select few cars don't respond well at all to aftermarket injectors. That may be due to wrong size, impedance or another engine related issue.

I knew of the different spray pattern, but some people claim that they'll still run fine, just like you mentioned, ucw458. An interesting thing that i should point out is that with the original J injectors, i frequently found that the engine would run much better on just the driver's side injector. As soon asi would plug in the clip on the passenger side J injector, it would run terrible. So, i just aimed that one or both of those injectors were questionable on performance. Well now if i unplug either injector, i can just barely keep it running. Keeping it running with both injectors plugged in is already difficult to do. The idle seems as though it's set at 1 revolution per minute. It simply will not idle, and is completely impossible to hold it at any specific rpm. Try to hold it at 1500 and it just dies. Try to hold it at 2500 rpms and it just dies. I have to keep revving it and revving it and revving it just to keep it from dying. Edited by BandY

some times a bad TPS will cause the second injector to fire at idle or wrong times.

or it will cause problems like you describe. do a sweep test on your TPS

with an analog meeter. make sure it sweeps nice and smooth from end

to end.

Well, that's the first time I've ever heard that the '86 TPS is different than the '87s and newer. Are you sure about that?

I have two TPSs that both came off of both of my '86 cars. The one TPS has a much better sweep than the other, but the one with the cleaner sweep will NOT show me the .50 volts, unless I depress the throttle linkage about 1/4 of the way down. So, I took the steel inserts from the bolts holes, and snipped off some of the black plastic, so I could turn the TPS far enough to get .50 volts, without using the idle screw. So, anyhow, after I had it set to .50 volts, the car wouldn't even start. So, obviously, turning the TPS that far screwed up one of the other levels that the ECU is looking for. So, now I am back to the other TPS, which I can get .50 volts on, but the sweep is not as clean. The thing still will not idle. Won't even come close to idling. I've moved the distributor a few times, but that didn't change anything, as far as idling goes.

I untaped most of the wiring that is at and around the throttle body. One thing that still has me confused is that I've read someone's instructions on TPS/ISC setting (they're from Ridgecrest, CA) and whoever it is was saying that there's a three wire MPS plug, and that on two of the wires, I should be able to get .9 volts. Well, on my car, the MPS plug is a four wire, and none of them show anything similar to .9 volts. Most show battery voltage. So, once again, are the '86 cars different? Am I doing something wrong? I really thought these Trilogy injectors were going to be the answer to most of my problems. BTW, I had to get a ride here to post that. Not good.

we're assuming timing is good then ?

Do you know if its rich or lean ? Have u looked at the spark plugs ?

Fuel pressure regulator may be the culprit. Any fuel in the vacuum line to the FPR ?

IF FPT is good, u can put a piece of cloth in a pliers and try squeezing the return line, then the supply line

Should hive u an idea if u need more or less fuel

Your pump and filters r ok ?

what good is an auto save funtion if it does not work :wacko:

1 hic up and entire replv is gone

Bandy this is the 3'd time have had to type this out ?)

to start with your using the wrong procedure for your yr model ,, the .9volt is the MPS

voltage signal used on87/89 systems not on an 86 year model with an mps

nor does the 86 system have an ISC sensor motor

and all sensors may have a 4 wire connector but they only use 3 wires

Okay, thanks for the replies. Been waiting. lol

Rich or lean? I'm leaning towards rich, although no, I have not had the plugs out in a few days. As for timing, my darn bulb quit working in my light, and my mechanic neighbor was going to bring one home from work, but he forgot it. Hopefully tomorrow. I swapped out the rubber disc in the FPR a few months ago. No, there is not fuel in the vacuum line. I keep looking, and there never is. Fuel pump is replaced, and the delivery seems more than adequate. Not sure of the pressure, but the volume is way more than specs.

Thanks, Shelby, for the .9 volts clarity. That crap had me going in circles. Are the '86 TPSs different than newer ones? I wish I had the conversion kit that used to be for sale on eBay. Allowed to use a much newer TPS with our old cars Wow, I coulda had a V-8.

Oh, and one more thing... There's a vacuum component attached to the firewall right by the boost sensor (I think). It has one vacuum from the throttle body, and then it splits into two vacuums, and one electronics plug that has two male spade connectors that fit one plug. Perpendicular, of course. I could post a picture, but would need to know how to first, Anyhow, about every two to three minutes, with the key on, that thing makes a clicking noise. I haven't actually timed it yet, but it happens religiously. One of the secondary vacuum lines goes to the boost sensor, and the other goes to the air filter canister. Anyway, is it normal for this to click like it does? I've swapped it with another one, and no change, so....

Okay, Google showed me that it's an emission purge solenoid.

Edited by BandY