What do YOU think

IntercooledFlatty

I know the 12a on my MPI car is sitting at 15 and spikes to 18 read directly from the Megasquirt MAP sensor, and (knocks wood) has been fine for 3 years that way. I literally can't regulate it any lower....I've tried single and 3 port actuators. I'd love to keep it lower....but just ain't happening. Oh well, it's a hoot to drive though, although traction impaired.
  • Like 1

People think these engines are fragile, I think quite the opposite. They can actually stand up to a lot of abuse (>10 on a stock system) and keep on keeping on. Then when they do go people say things like "I ran it that way for (months, years) and it never had a problem and all of a sudden.......".

I think they are very stout. I've beat the snot out of some And they continue on letting me do that with zero issues. I put a 19c/tdo5 turbo 1g mad and hard pipes on a 128*** mile auto 88 that was 5 speed swapped ran 25 psi daily drifting, racing, burnouts, and my favorite thing wasrolling backwards 20+mph on a hill then dumping 2nd at 6000 rpm and it lasted for near 7 months of that before cracking a ringland. Others I have turned the 12a up to 15psi and got a blown hg in return

People think these engines are fragile, I think quite the opposite. They can actually stand up to a lot of abuse (>10 on a stock system) and keep on keeping on. Then when they do go people say things like "I ran it that way for (months, years) and it never had a problem and all of a sudden.......".

while this is true, OP is asking about max efficient boost on a 12a...

yes i got a good run out of a tbi on hx35, 18psi afr was "goo" at 11.8, but broke ringlands on 1 and 4, since 1/4 are leaner than 2/3, and you are getting the combined afr

once on mpi, i was running 25psi on my hx40, never broke anything on a stock bottom end, even when on a hx35 on mpi when my wastegate came unhooked and spiked 35-40psi and exploded my BOV (was before my 40 upgrade)

Edited by Skullzaflare

i need to do another TPS / ISC reset, sat night it started to surge :unsure: then i'll see what he does @ 10, then 12 and maybe 14 :D but THAT'S IT :lol: new head in the near future so if 14 pops the HG so be it... needs some love anyway @ 119xxx miles. over 2k miles so far and he is flawless

FLATTY LOVE :wub:

i need to do another TPS / ISC reset, sat night it started to surge :unsure: then i'll see what he does @ 10, then 12 and maybe 14 :D but THAT'S IT :lol: new head in the near future so if 14 pops the HG so be it... needs some love anyway @ 119xxx miles. over 2k miles so far and he is flawless

FLATTY LOVE :wub:

if your fuel is good, the turbo will explode before a 12a will pop the gasket

unless your head is warped

I think 14-15 psi on a 12A is maxed out. After that it becomes just a hot air pump.

A rough guesstimate, at 15 PSI a 12a is spinning around 170k rpm at around 55-60% efficiency and sitting on the surge line of the compressor map. This is based off a td04 13g compressor map. A 12a will produce less air than the 13g.

on the left 2.0 is 15 psi and on the bottom around 0.16 is close to what a 2.6 should be flowing at that pressure.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/seansean26/td04-13g.gif

Plug those same #s into a small 16g and you get way more efficiency.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/seansean26/td05-16gsmall.gif

I was running 16 with the stock intercooler before any notable intake temp rise. I would say 14 or so to stay on the max efficiency island of the compressor. I am running 20 now with the t3/to4b 60 trim STILL with tbi like a boss but Risky!!!