****update ***Rotating the throttle body w/pix

flames4life

Im putting the starion engine in my mighty max and decided to get rid of the ovcp and run the pipe down the driver side. I didnt like the sharp bend that i have seen so i decided to make an adapter plate and rotate the whole tb. Couldnt find much info on the subject so anyone who has done this or sees anything wrong feel free to chime in. Thanks.

post-3940-0-77514600-1419443857_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-99361900-1419443867_thumb.jpg

Edited by flames4life

Because of the orientation of the injectors, its possible the two cylinders closer to the idle injector would get less fuel from the main injector.

But maybe it won't make a big difference, with tb injectors it would be like turning a carburetor sideways?

I think i'd prefer to keep the injectors where they are and cut the inlet before the injectors and weld on a smooth bend towards the front of the car to get the same intercooler pipe routing

Not an issue with the injector orientation, just use alternating firing order and 4 squirts per revolution. It might be an issue with staging them but you aren't. I assume they are two stock Mitsu high flow injectors? The ones I've flowed typically flow closer to 900-950 cc/min @ 38 PSI.

I have one of these burning a hole in the garage. ...

can you post a picture of it? if it works out i would possibly sell them. how would a 180 make it easier? i dont see and issue with the sensors. they are just wires. throttle cable maybe but i dont see it.

I remember a few years back I was looking into this same possibility. I did a lot of searching here on the board I think Indiana had done something similar and had pictures of a 180 flip. The only things I really remember being issues during my reading was hood clearance with the adapter plate bolted on, hooking up the throttle cable, and making sure the coolant passages running through the TB were sufficiently blocked up.

Looks awesome. Good luck with it and keep us posted on the progress. I'm also not a big fan of the OVCP (which is why I was looking into it myself in the first place).

• 8 months later...

Ok so the truck is running with the rotated throttle body. Driving it today it leans out on accel. without even getting into boost. My question is could rotating the throttle body have changed how the vac. ports work? The map sensor is on the far right in the row of 3. The bosch fuel regulator is on the port at the inlet of the throttle body. (original location). Dizzy is on the far left on the row of 3. And boost gauge and bov are on the single port on the bottom of the manifold. btw i am running a fip setup with the new fuel rail and injectors.

Map sensor should not be on the TB. It should have it's own larger port in the intake. Put the boost gauge and map sensor on the port below the TB and run the BOV off the port on the #4 intake runner. The map sensor line and port should be larger for faster response. I run 1/4" hose to mine.