best motor internals for the g54

Turbo Cary

So I have been looking to build my spare block and when I do I want to go to the max with it. What's the best parts/setup for it? I know there are aftermarket parts like weisco pistons, pauter rods, etc but what is y'alls opinions as to the best combo? How about the head and springs etc. I don't want a race only motor but something I can drive on the street but if need be crank the boost up and have fun.

What's the price tag involved? Longevity? I've been running a good standard rebuild motor with some mods for a while now no issues but I see some of the builds on here and I want to be on that level. I take care of my car, never redline it or come close (I know the power is basically gone at 5500 and its better to go up a gear than to try and squeeze out the rest)

Edited by Turbo Cary

Or how much money do you have to spend?

When I read "drive on the street", my build thoughts trend to over bore for more displacement, higher compression (9.5 or 10:1) for off boost performance and turbo response, a turbo sized right for quick spool and a broad power band/torque curve, ported Marnal head with stock sized valves, some lightening to the internals not to affect driveability, flex fuel capable, and MPI.

And let's all be honest with each other, who actually turns the boost down once they've turned it up?

Edited by KT
  • Like 1

Good machining is probably more important than parts, stock parts in the lower end are plenty strong. I do think the static compression ratio is way too low but you can bump that easily enough with aftermarket pistons. If you're happy with a 5500 redline count yourself lucky as you've just saved a lot of money.

Or how much money do you have to spend?

When I read "drive on the street", my build thoughts trend to over bore for more displacement, higher compression (9.5 or 10:1) for off boost performance and turbo response, a turbo sized right for quick spool and a broad power band/torque curve, ported Marnal head with stock sized valves, some lightening to the internals not to affect driveability, flex fuel capable, and MPI.

And let's all be honest with each other, who actually turns the boost down once they've turned it up?

10:1!?! What have I missed about the G54B? I went with stock compression ratio to retain max booooooostability. Laggy, yes. Fun in boost and durable, yes and yes.

Not sure Id go 10:1 unless going high oct but 9:1 I can totally dig. I love 8.5. Great off boost response and I have no issues making power. If you have to run a lot of boost to make your desired power, your not using the right turbo.
  • Like 1

What are your goals?

Answer to that dictates turbo. MPI now, or at some point?

Answer to all dictates internals. Lots of variables.

I don't have a goal. Goals lead to disappointment if you dont make what you expected. Like I said I want a bullet proof engine with all around capability. I have a magna plenum I need to modify, plan on going MS and possibly duel pump setup for e85 as well (there's a few places around me with it) and the turbo... Well I want to have a few for different things. Maybe one smaller one for daily driving and then have a large turbo for all out power/racing.

In terms of motor build I had this in mind,

Weisco pistons at 8:1 or 8.5:1

Debated between race prepped stock rods or aftermarket

Lightened crank

Buy another non jet head but unsure whether to port it or not (heard mixed things on porting it)

Can't decide the best springs to use. I want to be able to really rev the engine quick and hard but not sacrifice drivability

What's the best head gasket to use? Are they available on the regular?

Best camshaft for all out power and best for drivability on the street?

Thanks for the help as I am trying to get an idea of which direction to take my motor.

I don't have a goal. Goals lead to disappointment if you dont make what you expected. Like I said I want a bullet proof engine with all around capability. I have a magna plenum I need to modify, plan on going MS and possibly duel pump setup for e85 as well (there's a few places around me with it) and the turbo... Well I want to have a few for different things. Maybe one smaller one for daily driving and then have a large turbo for all out power/racing.

In terms of motor build I had this in mind,

Weisco pistons at 8:1 or 8.5:1

Debated between race prepped stock rods or aftermarket

Lightened crank

Buy another non jet head but unsure whether to port it or not (heard mixed things on porting it)

Can't decide the best springs to use. I want to be able to really rev the engine quick and hard but not sacrifice drivability

What's the best head gasket to use? Are they available on the regular?

Best camshaft for all out power and best for drivability on the street?

Thanks for the help as I am trying to get an idea of which direction to take my motor.

Actually you do have a goal and a high one at that just try to meet it, otherwise you have wasted tons time and tons of money

MPI

e85

pauter rods(if i have those in my car 600whp would be my goal)

big turbo

r154 tranny

injectors

tuning

all this mean high goals, IMHO 500whp +

otherwise(save your money) just build a good block with stock replacement pistons and still make 400+ guaranteed.

"The strongest motor" (did you notice the quotes?) will blow on a bad tune. There are no adamantium pistons

A good tuner is what you really need to be honest. Without him/her you are building a bomb with the timer directly bolted to your accelerator.

U want all that huh? LS swap. You not going to do that with 4 cylinders.

No swaps. In terms of tuning I am more than capable of that. I have been through a good automotive school and did a few months of tuning there and I have tuned many of my cars with no problems.

You may say my "goals" are high but I think they are definitely achievable. In terms of the cost I'm looking for a reasonable estimate on the engine internals and machining only.

When I refer to "bullet proof" I'm talking about having a strong motor that I not think twice about running it hard. Hell I'm sure at some point all of us have run our boost/fuel close to its max capacity and you think "will it do it? Is it gonna die?"

In terms of tuning I am more than capable of that. I have been through a good automotive school and did a few months of tuning there and I have tuned many of my cars with no problems.

When I refer to "bullet proof" I'm talking about having a strong motor that I not think twice about running it hard.

OK so you tune then.

the cars you tuned are they making a name in the streets or the track?

9,10,11 sec cars

A properly assembled g54b is not something you think twice about running hard, forged or not.

OK so you tune then.

the cars you tuned are they making a name in the streets or the track?

9,10,11 sec cars

A properly assembled g54b is not something you think twice about running hard, forged or not.

The cars I have tuned are my own and without issues. I have used software ranging from hondata to nistune to AEM systems. My cars have run well and my quest runs great now for even being tuned with its simple maf t. I have tuned friends cars and fixed issues in their tunes that some shops couldn't narrow down.

Instead of coming off like a jerk let's keep the discussion to the internals of a g54. I asked what are the best pistons, parts and setups normally run yet all of you haven't quite answered that. I understand engines are built for each purpose of the car and driver but this is supposed to be a discussion of the parts and setups overall.

The cars I have tuned are my own and without issues. I have used software ranging from hondata to nistune to AEM systems. My cars have run well and my quest runs great now for even being tuned with its simple maf t. I have tuned friends cars and fixed issues in their tunes that some shops couldn't narrow down.

Instead of coming off like a jerk let's keep the discussion to the internals of a g54. I asked what are the best pistons, parts and setups normally run yet all of you haven't quite answered that. I understand engines are built for each purpose of the car and driver but this is supposed to be a discussion of the parts and setups overall.

you are sensitive because of what now??

please tell me how i came off like a jerk when i asked you a simple question, that anyone would ask a tuner that says "I am more than capable"

you are actually coming off like a moron. how do you not have a goal and then in the same breath mention mpi e85, forged internals etc?

this is why one of the first questions people asked you is what are your goals?. This is the first thing you must determine, even when calculating turbo efficiency you have to start with a power goal.

You don't know what you want yet and that is fine but stop coming off like a moron and and a jerk.

Good luck

Edited by lionbull

How am I coming off as a moron or a jerk? I'm asking opinions as to the best internals, best bang for your buck parts for the quest. What are the best setups you have seen or put together for the g54?

I wasn't being sensitive but reading your post for what it is came off as you calling me out on my ability to tune a car or even work on them. I know what I know but I do not know what you know and will never call you out on your knowledge etc. So what gives you the right to come off that way to me? We have never met in person nor at this point would I ever care to meet or discuss stuff with you if that's how you come off.

There's lots of stuff I'd like to do to my quest. Does it mean I'm going to do all of it? No. People's builds change on a regular basis. You can build a car for one thing then find out it does 10x better at something else. The past 5 years I have spent getting my quest to a solid daily driven platform and am now ready to really get it built. Which is why I came on here to ask questions. Get opinions as to what has worked best for people.

You not going to do that with 4 cylinders

Your probably right, but I dislike LS swaps or 2J swaps because of how common they are. If I wanted an LS motor I'd have bought a Chevy. I have thought of going with a 4G63 but the money spent in that or a swap can be money spent in my G54

How am I coming off as a moron or a jerk? I'm asking opinions as to the best internals, best bang for your buck parts for the quest. What are the best setups you have seen or put together for the g54?

I wasn't being sensitive but reading your post for what it is came off as you calling me out on my ability to tune a car or even work on them. I know what I know but I do not know what you know and will never call you out on your knowledge etc. So what gives you the right to come off that way to me? We have never met in person nor at this point would I ever care to meet or discuss stuff with you if that's how you come off.

There's lots of stuff I'd like to do to my quest. Does it mean I'm going to do all of it? No. People's builds change on a regular basis. You can build a car for one thing then find out it does 10x better at something else. The past 5 years I have spent getting my quest to a solid daily driven platform and am now ready to really get it built. Which is why I came on here to ask questions. Get opinions as to what has worked best for people.

I guess I should have privately asked you if you have 9, 10, 11 sec cars under your belt then? I was not trying to call you out but truth be told you don't have to ask anyone that if they have a rep already and nobody knows you. I simply wanted to KNOW. Tuning is where all that work comes together or poof goes up in smoke so if you are a capable tuner you better be prepared to answer a question like that. There is a swap in your future

Edited by lionbull

I've gone down the route you are looking for. My build consists of Wiseco's, Dad's race prepped rods, and ARP bolts on a .040 bored block. Up top I added a mildly ported Magna head and intake setup with o/s valves and a Tim C mech cam good for 7000 rpms. I use a TE61 turbo @ 20 psi with 788 cc injectors and a 75 mm tb. This build is good for 400+ he at the wheels. I hope this helps with your question.

I've gone down the route you are looking for. My build consists of Wiseco's, Dad's race prepped rods, and ARP bolts on a .040 bored block. Up top I added a mildly ported Magna head and intake setup with o/s valves and a Tim C mech cam good for 7000 rpms. I use a TE61 turbo @ 20 psi with 788 cc injectors and a 75 mm tb. This build is good for 400+ he at the wheels. I hope this helps with your question.

Yes that's what I'm looking for is people to post their build and results. In terms of high end rpm range does it really fall off or does it want more? How is cold idle and warm idle running? How about gas mileage? Are you at the maximum amount of fuel or boost you can run?

I live in south Carolina and the weather here can be a little off. Today its pouring down rain and 60+ degrees but two days ago it was low 50s and sunny. I've noticed in the season changing I need to adjust the maf t to compensate. Any of that with your build?

The problem with the MAF-T is that is is hard coded for 78 degree. that is why you need to seasonal tune it.

or tune when big weather temp changes happen.

you should contact DAD on here or EngineMachineService.com. he has built many G54B's.

i have a G54B 20 over and it is running modified 52mm intake tbody.

ported exhaust manifold to turbine housing. opened up the holes. much better flow and keeps on pulling past 6000 RPM.

that made the biggest difference.

i ran a TD06 18G. i honestly loved the power it made. i could spin tires in 3rd when stomping the gas pedal.

i feel the MAFT is holding the car back. i will be for sure purchasing a MegaSquirt from Scott.

My philosophy is to build your motor to maximum strength and durability "in case" you decide or have the funds down the road to make a big power car. My plans are to fully max out the capabilities of the tbi setup using everything possible and see where I'm at. If I'm happy (which I probably will be), them I'm satisfied. If not then I've got the setup for a MPI monster block.

Pauter rods, get an MPI system from Scott, rest is depending on your preferences, example 4 cyl fury does not prefer a fidenza flywheel, Too light, however it's up to you on how you want the car to perform. want low comp pistons and high boost? want higher comp pistons and lower boost/ Thats where you have to have a plan, a goal, how do you want it to perform? Unfortunately you cannot have peak HP and torque from 500 rpm-6000 rpm. you need to find a happy center that you prefer.

dad

Wierdo's. You cant tune out a bad build. Put a flat or dished piston in it, balance the rotating assembly and let it eat. Good for 500whp+

You want it to run really well, thats in the time you put towards the little details.

Edited by Funky Phil