Exhaust Opinions

MTQuest

So, the project is nearing completion.... Fresh rebuild. Nothing to substantial right now. Only mods are emissions deleted, NJV head, heavy duty valve springs, TEP mild street cam, BS delete.

So just wanted to ask around here and see what trials and tribulations people had to offer on a clean, deep sounding exhaust system.

I live in MT so there are no emissions, and really no sound violations up here, but lets not piss off the geriatrics neighborhood.

I plan on a 2.5" straight pipe. Has any one used a resonator to reduce rasp before the muffler? likes dislikes on the matter? Secondly what is every one running for a muffler? I personally lean towards Magnaflow from past builds...though Ive heard some really crappy Magnaflow cans too lol

i have a bullet muffler from summitracing on my car. about 18 inches long. mounted right behind the cat.

i also have a WLK-17223 muffler from summit as well. all 3 inch.

18 inch muffler killed the drone sound. made the car nice quiet.

http://www.summitrac...24219/overview/

I plan on a 2.5" straight pipe. Has any one used a resonator to reduce rasp before the muffler? likes dislikes on the matter? Secondly what is every one running for a muffler? I personally lean towards Magnaflow from past builds...though Ive heard some really crappy Magnaflow cans too lol

i have ran resonator to change the tone. worked just fine but ive never really liked the tone of our cars any which way ive ever done the exhaust.

i agree, go for the 3". before i went big turbo and mpi, i ran a 3" straightpipe witha big 16g. really made the turbo spool nicely and wasnt nearly as loud as you would have thought. not quiet, but not that loud.i say try it as a straightipe with no muffler and if you dont like it you can always come back and change it.

In all honesty I really like the sound of it with its cats, and stock pipe to just after the axle. The muffler rattle off the day after I bought her and have been running that way ever since. But its so danm restrictive!

Ill be going MPI down the road its just that there are no tuning shops any where near me. Were talking like a thousand miles... Just seems like 3" would be overkill and hollow sounding but these cars do have there own distinct sound that cant be compared to most any other 4 banger.

the sound of the exh is because of the turbo breaking down the exh so it's more even then an na exh with the explosions not being mixed togather ,, so live with it

now saying that when the exh on my truck was new the exh was just on the verge of that nice v8 sound

esp when going under an over pass . under boost it really had a nice rumble to it , you'd sware it was a v8 if you didn't know better

If deep is what you want go 3in, 2.5 keeps a lot of the stock tractor power noises. When I tested my exhaust(3in) with no muffler is was very tractor power but both my old apexi fartcannon and my new cherry bomb vortex changed that alot. I need a resonator now though, the vortex drones to the point I dont want to downshift for ears sake. Edited by tankbob

standard universal 20inch overall 2.5 inlet aprox 2.75 inch interior straight thru , but location was

diferent I placed it in front of the rear axle giving it a real tail pipe , that is where the noise

actualy had a chance to be created , impossible to get a rumble created in the last 8 inches of a pipe , no reason it could not be used in place of the rear cat , it basicly acted like a glass back on a

std exh ,, no cats at all , cats kill any chance of rumble

The old 2.5" vs 3" argument that Top End Performance used to make, they said that 3" was too big. Mainly becaue they only sold a 2.5" system. James at CNM (for those that remember) sold a 3" system way back in the mid 90's and dyno'd everything he made. The 3" system on a stock car made more power than a 2.5 " system and spooled faster. CNM also always used Walker mufflers. I thought that argument was settled a long time ago.

I'd run a 3" turbo back with flex pipe near the downpipe to keep things from cracking or coming loose. Run a resonator where the cat goes and a straight thru muffler of your choice. Use stainless parts or at least a stainless muffler so it will stay looking decent. Depending on the combination of resonator and muffler the tone will change, it's hard to know what brands you'll like best until you hear it but that's the best recipe I've found.

Edited by Fuze

impossible to get a rumble created in the last 8 inches of a pipe , no cats at all , cats kill any chance of rumble

i disagree, i have a muffler in the stock location and it rumbles just fine :P

and what problem do you have with cats, mine rumble frequently

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/aiche_photos/Our%20Children/loldia_zpse2fd7e58.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I just got a hooker competition aero chamber muffler 21505...anyone used one of these before? What you guys think of it?

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

Plan for the future if going for more power, 3" hooker aero chamber muffler FTMFW

nice deep rumble, sets off parked car alarms on decel :P

I have a 3 inch with a high flow cat and a mugen? can muffler at the back. The cat keeps it quiet, but the size of the pipe makes it resonate and will rattle windows when idling next to the house. Makes your voice sound funny too. Once on the road its very quiet with no drone. Im not a fan of cats but it makes a huge difference in sound.