The imaginary windshield shortage

chiplee

I have three OEM ones that I personally pulled from junkyards. I've got them stashed in my garage attic. Feeling pretty secure. Edited by nomad

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not an imaginary issue. It took me several weeks to get a windshield. The one I finally found was Chinese and what a piece of crap that was. It cracked in a week. PPG is now PWG which is also a Chinese company making the worst products on the planet. These windshields do not fit and are very wavey, I know this from experience in the last 4 months and from "actual" installers across the United States. I had to go used I was lucky drove all the way to Chicago and found two which they just recently discovered on their shelf tucked away in a corner. One of them has Mitsubishi symbol still on the glass. So If your not finding a NOS or possible some AUSSIE brand, I think the outlook does not look good.

Happy Hunting

Cheers,

SLim Jim

Not sure then, but the one I just got is clear and smooth and beautiful. Not seeing any waves at all. Really made the whole car look cleaner and newer. Here's the lettering on the windshield.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/chipleeiii/car/64FF8F55-53F5-41BD-880B-C111996A4279_zpsugfvevxy.jpg

I'm finding a bunch of complaints about XYG Chinese glass but they're all from like 2010. I'll be sure to follow up if this windshield becomes a problem, but I'm happy with it so far. The other one was cracked from top to bottom so there wasn't much I could do about it.

Not sure then, but the one I just got is clear and smooth and beautiful. Not seeing any waves at all. Really made the whole car look cleaner and newer. Here's the lettering on the windshield.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/chipleeiii/car/64FF8F55-53F5-41BD-880B-C111996A4279_zpsugfvevxy.jpg

I got the same glass. Looks very good. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Did the one scotty sold you look like the one chiplee bought meaning the tinting

on the windshield?

My car is in the shop getting paint re-touches on some replacement parts so I cant double check in person, but here is a good sized pic from a track day a couple weeks ago that suggests it is not the same windshield as the one Chip got:

http://i.imgur.com/NviZNvk.jpg (not empbedding as pic size is 15mb I think...)

I have three OEM ones that I personally pulled from junkyards. I've got them stashed in my garage attic. Feeling pretty secure.

Good Job! I have one I just installed and I have a like new OEM in my bedroom as well safely stored and wrapped in thick blankets.

Cheers,

SLim Jim

I got the same glass. Looks very good. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Hey Chip maybe you got a good one. The one I got was just horrible and the Glass installers I talked to just told me about some installation jobs they in which they described the waves and imperfections to me. It does look better, but I am in a part of the country I have not been able to find anything but used or a new one (XYZ) for like $450.00 shipped then another $150.00 to have it installed which is $600.00 all day. I really would like to see Scotty make another run of these as he had in the past. And find a new shipper to get them coast to coast safely.

Cheers,

SLim Jim

Hey Chip maybe you got a good one. The one I got was just horrible and the Glass installers I talked to just told me about some installation jobs they in which they described the waves and imperfections to me. It does look better, but I am in a part of the country I have not been able to find anything but used or a new one (XYZ) for like $450.00 shipped then another $150.00 to have it installed which is $600.00 all day. I really would like to see Scotty make another run of these as he had in the past. And find a new shipper to get them coast to coast safely.

Cheers,

SLim Jim

Wow that is an expensive windshield job. Mine cost $340 installed.

Wow, you guys pay a lot for winshields. Anything over $150 is too much for me. I've never paid more than that for a new good quality windshield in LA.

It has to come down to the amount competition in big cities and the massive car culture in Southern California. I generally find parts cheap.

I just got my sister in law 4 new Kuhmos tires 18" SUV'S size for $200 less than the cheapest quote she got for the same tires at chain tire stores.

Edited by louswheel01

Pretty early build there, 000578

Wow, you guys pay a lot for winshields. Anything over $150 is too much for me. I've never paid more than that for a new good quality windshield in LA.

It has to come down to the amount competition in big cities and the massive car culture in Southern California. I generally find parts cheap.

I just got my sister in law 4 new Kuhmos tires 18" SUV'S size for $200 less than the cheapest quote she got for the same tires at chain tire stores.

Do you buy OEM spec or DOT spec windshields? There is a big diffrence OEM has to repell 100 % from cracking in on impact and DOT spec 90% repell.

Doubt you can find the OEM heated one's for that cheep can you?

Do you buy OEM spec or DOT spec windshields? There is a big diffrence OEM has to repell 100 % from cracking in on impact and DOT spec 90% repell.

First off what is that even supposed to mean? No piece of glass can have 100% impact crack resistance.

Second, who cares. A clear, good quality new windshield is better than a broken OEM one. So what if it's not OEM. The windshield I got for $80 was not OEM but it was so damn clear I had to touch it to make sure it was there. It keeps the wind, bugs and rocks out of my face and that's all I care about.

Listen if it makes you feel better to pay $600 or more for an OEM windshield, by all means go ahead.

I've seen the price tag on certain vehicles windshields and holy cow man its insane to pay that much for melted sand.

On an old car like ours, who cares if it's OEM? Maybe if you wanted to do a full stock restoration I could understand the desire for an original windshield. But other wise, who cares as long as it gets the job done is approved by DOT.

I was going to ask about that, never paid for a windscreen or a chip repair nobody here does it is all covered.

Its great when you have rust around the screen, wait for a chip to spread and removal and installation is free with a new screen. Covers all glass including old glass headlights.

I too got one of Scotty's last ones and I think between the windshield, shipping, and installing I had $5-600 in it.. No place around could find one anywhere. The only glass shop that ever found one said it was in NY and would be $900 plus shipping and installation... Lol. Then I found Scotty's! Ha

So it's a imaginary problem because a few people may have got lucky in California finding one?

Or am I missing the place to find one?

From what I'm gathering you just call around with hopes of finding one and getting lucky.

In my eyes it doesn't make it a imaginary problem though..

So it's a imaginary problem because a few people may have got lucky in California finding one?

Or am I missing the place to find one?

From what I'm gathering you just call around with hopes of finding one and getting lucky.

In my eyes it doesn't make it a imaginary problem though..

Did you go to your local glass place yet and see if they can get you one?

yes ive only checked a few places though ill search harder I guess. im not having luck so far.

Edit: think I found one locally for $189 oem supposedly . Will post after I meet with them.

Edited by G54Bstore

yes ive only checked a few places though ill search harder I guess. im not having luck so far.

Edit: think I found one locally for $189 oem supposedly . Will post after I meet with them.

My place said they could only get it from one supplier. I got the same windshield Chiplee got in California.

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/tsi_tom/The%20Missouri%20Project/Windshield/windshieldmanufacturer_zps0bc42cc1.jpg

They even had the clips but they need to be ordered with the windshield

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/tsi_tom/The%20Missouri%20Project/Windshield/conquestwindshieldclipsbackofbag_zpsbf837ab2.jpg

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/tsi_tom/The%20Missouri%20Project/Windshield/conquestwindshieldclipsfrontofbag_zps053ec9e9.jpg

Edited by tsi_tom