MOD: Met The Starion Designer!!

A nice surprise to MOD this year was meeting THE MITSUBISHI ENGINEER RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STARION ENGINE! That's right, we met "MR. TWO INJECTORS" HIMSELF!!!

I have always joked around about asking Mitsu engineers "why two stupid injectors?" I couldn't do it in person. I did however say to him "Two Injectors?" lol A few of us were able to take pictures with him. It was an interesting MOD indeed.

Who ever has the pics, upload please.

What was his name?

I could not pronounce it if I tried. He did give someone here his business card.

It was pretty cool to actually meet the man behind the boosted 2.6. He seemed pretty happy to see Starions at the event. He was also the engine designer behind the 3000GT.

was there any MPI at MOD?

did Mr. Two injector see a mpi?

The irony is there is a magna MPI sitting on the ground right next to Edgar. lol hindsight thought, I should have picked up the manifold to take a picture with him! lol.

I said "two injectors" and he repeated "yes, two injectors" lol. I wanted to roflol.

Throttle body injection was fairly common back in the day.

What I would love to ask about is the oil squirter thing. Like if he over engineered the motor because he thought it needed it or if it was a precaution, and what research went in to that decision.

Throttle body injection was fairly common back in the day.

What I would love to ask about is the oil squirter thing. Like if he over engineered the motor because he thought it needed it or if it was a precaution, and what research went in to that decision.

Edgar wanted to ask him "jet valves? Really, why? To blow headgaskets?" lol. Or "why all the overheat issues?"

You know, I can see where stock, factory, well maintained where TBI made sense, especially in 1982/1983 where the first ones came out. Why they kept it that way is likely cost saving measures.

Still, cool to see!

• Like 1

A 6 cylinder would have likely been slower with worse mileage and higher cost. I'm sure he did what was asked of him in the design process. Would be interesting to hear about the oil squirters, jet valves, and how they were able to convince Mitsu to go for the 88/89 improvements despite such a comparatively small production run overall after upgrade investment.

I dont think MPI was available on any car in 1983. So unfortunately mitsu stayed with it until production ceased.....im sure the guy didnt have any say in it anyways.

Im guessing mitsu knew the starion was going to be a limited production car with a short life....so it wasnt worth it to them.