Project "Because Racecar"

speedyquest

• 1 month later...

Thanks to RonnieJ I have received one of the key parts I needed to start planning the next fun modification to the car!

Here come the hints!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/dOaxzG5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DhtmH6I.jpg

I can only imagine the comments that will come from the toilet paper rolls lol

Edited by speedyquest
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's weather has been beautiful so I got out to the garage a bit. While I was looking over the car I remembered that I had never even mentioned one of the modifications I made to the car that was pretty much necessary in order to allow me to do my V-mount setup.

As you guys probably know the radiator fill cap needs to be the highest point in the radiator system. But what do you do when you want to lower the radiator by a foot or more? Well here was my solution.

http://i.imgur.com/dr3kVc8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nhe0fj7.jpg

What your seeing is a billet Mishimoto filler neck welded onto the top of the thermostat housing. I had a local to Derek (D_Venable) welder do the welding while I was toiling away in Derek's garage for over a week lol. As I find more things I didn't document very well I'll take pictures and describe them here. I'm sure there are more lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So as you guys are probably feeling, its getting warmer out lol. That definitely means work will start again on the "racecar". The plans for this spring are as follows...

Finish interior - this will entail building door cards, buying/installing new seats, tidying up wiring, and building a center console

Rework front clip assembly - I built is with the stock radiator in mind (its a complete drop in) but I bought a 240sx aluminum radiator for it which will require changing some things. This will also help the new airdam to fit better

Fabricate some projector headlights - I will be taking inspiration from both D_Venable and Convette on this. I really like that look and I already don't have headlight motors. Its time to do this

Now here is the last part... I've been coy for awhile about something I have plans for and I figure at this point screw it, I know some of you are going to hate on this but I'm doing it regardless.

Twin turbo setup - I will be running two 12a turbos initially to build the setup and get everything running. Afterwards I plan on switching to two 14b turbos that will be modified. I've spent a very long time thinking out how I will do this and had lengthy conversation with RonnieJ about it. I'll refrain from giving any more details for now, but know that I'm not doing this half ---------------. This will be a very thought out set-up.

EDIT: Much later in the year I also have started thinking through a pretty cool and interesting way to do LED taillights that won't require tons of soldering and could potentially be programmable. I'm pretty sure Derek and I will be working together on that little project.

Edited by speedyquest
  • Like 1

Haha yesssss!!!!!! I had brought up this topic when I was just a newbie in the SQ game, as to why no one had ran twins and I was sorta just shut down :P Super excited to see what it is your plans are and best of wishes!

and I was sorta just shut down :P

Probably because it costs more, more complicated, more items to break... all for (objectively) no benefit over a single turbo.

Plus are these going to be sequential or parallel? Good luck trying to build a sequential setup, and if it's parallel you'll never make as much power as a single turbo

Edited by leesfer

I'm well aware of peoples views on this subject. Frankly I could care less. Cost more? Yea. Make less than one big turbo? Yep. Do I care about the cost or making max HP? Nope. Its easy to say don't do it because this or that. I'm doing it because it will make me happy and I think what I can get out of it will be more than enough for me.

I doubt it but I did plan on trimming down the compressor housings and making them look cleaner. I still need to track down another good 12a turbo but those will just be for initial building and running of the car. Think of it as a base. I'm sure people will be interested to see how the car will be with two 12a's on tbi and a translator.

I like this idea... Yea, it honestly will probably be super inefficient, but I want to see how it comes out. What I really want to see is if you can get the turbos to spool at a reasonable RPM. If you can't... Nitrous? XD. It's a cool idea, no matter what. I've always really liked twin setups.

Well as far as spool times I think it will be pretty damn good actually, especially with the 12a turbos. Because of the way I'll be building the manifold I will be optimizing exhaust pressure by separating out cylinders and taking full advantage of exhaust pulses. It will be exponentially more efficient in that regard than the stock manifold.

The beauty of doing it the way I am is that once I know what the 12a turbos act like I can decide to step up to larger ones if I'd like.

Edited by speedyquest