Project "Because Racecar"

speedyquest

Well I made mention to finishing up the fuel system the other day, but I actually started the car up and made sure it was ready for the warm weather today. I recorded the start-up and man am I always happy to hear this car. It always starts up right away and very strong. Enjoy

Thanks dude. Yea there was nothing wrong with it. It was running just fine when I put it in the garage for the winter. I just upgraded the fuel system a bit. Its so nice to hear how aggressive it is after driving the totally stock one through the cold months. Makes me so excited to drive it. I may put the wheels on it and fill it with premium to take it to a skatepark an hour away this weekend.

Very cool,

im an older guy but used to ride BMX still have my bike. Mom saved it for me over the years.

one day i asked her about it. she was like its in the attic above the garage. i could not believe it.

i would love to ride at the park but feel like the creepy old guy. plus when i bail if i get hurt

it takes forever to heal now. :D

Haha that is awesome dude. You should take a picture of it so I can see the bike. As far as being old, I don't know how old you are but I'm 32 and I plan on riding until I can't anymore or the injuries start to pile up. I've had several bad ones but I keep coming back. I've got a few more years in me and I'm sure you could get out there and shred a bit too if your careful.

P.S If you go back a few pages in this build thread you can see my bmx bike next to my grey car in the garage.

Edited by speedyquest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well another update to report. So I'm sure some of you guys have been wondering what the hell I was going to do with that hole in my hood. Well I have your answer for you...

http://i.imgur.com/3A4XMgY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hFOMdzm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kHPJhNa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LWgsWNH.jpg

Now, I know it probably doesn't look like it will "fit" but I assure you I will make sure it won't be carelessly riveted or glued to my hood. What I plan on doing is either A ) cutting the hole in my hood larger to fit the vent the way it is or B ) modify the vent to better represent the size of my duct and hole thats already there.

There are a few pros and cons associated with with each. The main concern I have with making the hole in my hood larger is water. Since I drive this car daily during the summer rain is something I need to take into consideration. On the other side of the coin though, making use of the whole vent will drastically cut down on under hood temps.

I'd love to hear everyones thoughts on which way I should go.

Edited by speedyquest

As long as you are moving rain won't be an issue, looks good. Thinking about water and open hood vents like that for mine I was thinking of those big magnetic door advertisements to put over the vent when it's parked. I think you can buy them at Lowes or HD. Just a thought.

Haha that is awesome dude. You should take a picture of it so I can see the bike. As far as being old, I don't know how old you are but I'm 32 and I plan on riding until I can't anymore or the injuries start to pile up. I've had several bad ones but I keep coming back. I've got a few more years in me and I'm sure you could get out there and shred a bit too if your careful.

P.S If you go back a few pages in this build thread you can see my bmx bike next to my grey car in the garage.

LOL my bike is probably almost as old as you. 1984 SE Racing Quadangle.

i will try and find a pic.

Sorry for the OT, but Sweet! I have an 84 Quadangle frame/Landing gear fork I used to ride, they're worth a lot now on eBay. Got a few old framesets on the wall. Keep riding, age doesn't matter. I started back up at 30 (that was a while ago) after a 7 year break and still going, still paying in blood, keeps you young and clears the mind. If you worry about looking creepy, ride at night. ;)

7fb435eadea711e2ad2b22000ae80c6b_7.jpg

Edited by Fuze

^^The blue frame is my boy's Eastern Jane, looks like the Reaper with less holes in it.

My front rim is a GSPORT Ribcage, the original one before the Rollcage, with a Shadow Rant hub and DT Swiss spokes. The rear gave up the ghost landing sideways off a wallride and I built a Rollcage/Madera cassette one to replace it.

10362215_242458665961592_1272778870_n.jpg

I should prolly start a BMX thread and stop thread jacking at this point.

Edited by Fuze

Dude I have a graveyard of bike parts lol, I don't even know what I have anymore. Nice rim though I liked the Hazard Lite, kinda the same but the 7KA is lighter. Edited by Fuze

drastically cut down on under hood temps

Under hood temps are over rated, unless you like the naked turbine look the heat shielding and air flow keep them pretty normal (for a car) while you're driving, it's when you stop that the radiant heat quickly raises and makes things really hot. To avoid that you'd have to have no hood, I vote for small hole.

I appreciate your opinion scott. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm going to think on it before rushing into just cutting stuff up.

On another note, as I got home and was preparing to put the car in my garage I turned around and got that feeling I think most of us get when we look back at our car. I know I do that a lot anyway. Here is what I saw : )

http://i.imgur.com/WkftCxz.jpg

I decided to make some door cards today so after work I stopped down to Menard's and picked up two sheets of black abs plastic for 12 bucks each. Then spent an hour or so designing the basic shape and how to attach it. That's all done. Now I just need to cut them out and drill the holes for the hardware. I plan on making some door pulls out of some spare turbo seatbelts : )

• 2 weeks later...

About a week ago I had mentioned I was making some door cards for the car. Well I finished them up and thought I might post a few pictures of them installed and off the car. I also made a few panels for the car to cover areas of the interior where the chassis has openings that go out to the outer sheet metal. It drastically cut down on in car noise so I'm very happy.

http://i.imgur.com/DIgoUbq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cRLDKW8.jpg

I still need to take that darn sticker off there lol. I'll take some more pictures of the rest of the panels I made so you can see those too incase someone else is in the same boat I was and is looking for a solution. The "insulation" you see on the back of the panels is meant for garage doors I believe. It was about $15 for a roll of it at Menards.

Cool to see that other SQ guys ride bmx, I havnt rode much lately but I used to go down to the dirt jumps by my house every day after school. Building my bike always seemed just as fun as riding it, that eventually transformed into owning a SQ. Love the body kitted look on the rear quarter with the flat gas door by the way. Edited by tankbob