BSEK installed now no oil pressure...PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Fullbore576

Installation of BSEK went ok. While I had the oil pump removed I inspected the gears, cover for wear, relief plunger and spring. I noticed the spring was a little worn and measured under spec. I installed a new spring and made sure relief plunger slid properly. Got it together about an hour ago, cranked the engine a few times to prime, and then fired it up. I noticed right off the bat I had no oil pressure so I shut it down. While I had the pan off I cleaned the pick up tube screen and what little sedament there was in the pan. Could the plunger be stuck?? If I run it longer will the oil pressure come around?? I really dont want to take this thing apart again, but I dont know what I would check? Any ideas?Fullbore Edited by Fullbore576

Yes, the plug was installed per instructions with silicone. I let it run maybe 45 seconds. Shut it down and then ran it again for about the same amount of time thinking the plunger or something would pop if it was stuck.

isnt there bearings on the back end of each balance shaft? was concerned about blocking flow to those as well - but i guess they dont get direct flow?

stupid question - not to disrupt the topic at hand

Rear balance shaft bearings are fed through holes drilled in the balance shafts. The front bearings are the ones you block off.

Are you reading pressure through the stock gauge or a mechanical one? When it was running were the lifters clattering alot? If you had no oil pressure there would be alot of lifter noise. Check the wire going to the oil pressure sender for corrosion or damage.

First off you use thread locker on the bolts to hold gear and plug, I assume that you lost prime of oil, or did the wood-ruff key for the gear fall out? or not get installed. If you can get into the small pipe plug just ahead of the oil filter you can try to pump some oil into the galley to prime the pump, but again you may have an issue of not using thread locker on the bolts and that can be a problem in the future.

Dad

Yes, red threadlocker was used and bolt torqued to spec. I didnt want that baby comming loose.I had a bit of an issue with the wood-ruff key getting it to stay in place while I slid both gears and chain on, but eventually got it.

there are two plugs.. one for the oil pump.. one for the upper shaft... i know it sounds like we are asking stupid questions, but both were installed correct?

Yes, I am sure both were installed correctly....there is never a stupid question!

Yes, prime the pump. Pull the small allen plug above the pump on the block, take a small hose with funnel and fill it until it will take no more. I've had to do this many times to get the oil pressure to build up after pulling an engine apart.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU Goddard, THANK YOU DAD you guys are geniuses. I removed the small pipe plug in front of oil filter located on the block and used a syringe with a hose to force oil in there. Fired it up and after a couple of seconds, oil pressure rose like old faithful! I'm proud to be a part of this group, and honored to have such an awesome piece of machinery.

number 2 million and 1 times

PRIME THE OIL PUMP BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT

it's not an air pump :)

Thats the thing. I did prime it per the manual, but the vehicle sat over night/day before I finished reassembly. Maybe it drained?

Thanks for posting the fix!!!

I know I probably wont be the only one with this problem. Share the wealth!

Edited by Fullbore576