Any tips for dropping weight quickly?

shogun121

I had a bit of a scare a few weeks back and thought I was having a grabber. Went to the doctor and realized I finally hit my all time low(high?) and ABSOLUTELY need to lose weight. I just turned 35 last week and I'm way too young to feel like Ive been feeling the last few years. My knees cant take the daily abuse and I cant let my wife and kids down if something serious were to happen to me. I joined a gym but I cant do a lot of strenuous workouts because of the pain in my knees. Does anyone have any tips for dropping a few quick pounds so I can feel more comfortable working out? I feel if I can lose some weight, then the pain in my knees will go away and I can maximize my workouts. Thanks guys.
  • Like 1

I once heard a professional diet planner person say the best way to get started on weight loss is to only eat when your hungry ... and that means physically, (or more like audibly) waiting until your stomach growls. I don't know how "quickly" it will produce results for you and wanting to work out in the gym, but hopefully that's a tip that will help you out in general. I've found personally it makes sense and works. We just have waaay to much access to food in this country.

My wife is has been working a diet called the Omni diet. Its pretty intense, but she dropped 21 lbs the first month. I know some other folks who have lost over 100 lbs with it. If you can dicipline yourself and stick to it, it is possible. Pm me if you need more info and I will try to help you.

BC_99

Cut out all Soda :)

Medifast works awesome (40lbs in 3 months), but it's a tad expensive... the food tastes kinda like sawdust and once you go off of it (if you don't adhere to their plan) you slowly gain it all back!

Based on experience.

-N8

Edited by natallica

how much you need or want to loose

but no matter what you have to eat less then you burn off , most days i go all day with only a 1/2 cup of coffee and 4 -5 cookies ,

got to get the boiler going,, then it's like 7 or 8 before i eat supper , some times later

and forget you ever heard of micky D and burger king , KFC's or any of them places

Hit a bike to take the impact off your knees and get some strength back in your legs. Stronger muscles will help take the load off your joints too! Hit the weights too, the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn every day. Yes only eat when you are hungry, other than pre/post workout, try to lay off the snacks, get rid of soda, and drink plenty of water.

Staple your mouth, give it a few weeks! :lol:

I'm 38 and am in the same thought process you're in. I had another health scare about 5 weeks ago as well. Went right back to a cardiologist.

I need to drop 30lbs or so and do something about the cholesterol. Nutritionist recommend you eat small frequent meals. That keeps your metabolism working constantly. Nuts and berries, dark green leafy veggies and eat fruits as snacks.

Stay away from all processed foods, anything in a package/ bag/ cup. Forget sugary drinks, sweets, juices, sodas etc, those are just empty calories. And if you really wanna feel better, let gonof caffeine.

I've been caffeine free now for 5 weeks. The first two weeks sucked hard. By the fourth week I felt much better.

Advocare. I lost 22lbs in 24 days. That was with very light exercise(going to work). Don't stop eating whatever you do! You need to build your matabalism so it burns food. We are hunter/gatherers. We need to eat when we are hunggry. Just don't eat bad foods. Advocare is hard through the first week then gets you in the habbit of eating good. People at the local gym are usually dealers for it. If you want to lose it fast, you have to work for it! If you have any questions, you can pm me.

Olipticals are built for people with joint pain.

as said already, cut out all soda, beer, and starches.

Complex carbs are great. Not empty soda carbs.

Broccoli/chicken/fish/brown rice/oatmeal are good to do your meals with.

Protein shakes and large quantities of water are great items for fending off your appetite as well. Eat assorted nuts (no salt) for snacks.

People do it, but fruits actually make my stomach growl and ache forcing me to eat.

Alsodont focus on weight. You want to look at your waist measurement and body fat. A truly good exercise routine will replace fat with muscle. Muscle helps burn fat but weighs more.

Good luck

/\ /\ what he said. Fruits actually do serve me well.

Since I started paying close attention to what I eat, I find it real hard to find good food while on the road. Most restaurants, if you ask servers what's in the food, they don't know.

Only a few restaurants we go to know how the food is prepared, where the meats come from and if they use iodized salt or sea salt, kosher etc. basically the costlier restaurants know.

You can do strength training exercises, they do burn fat and build muscles.

a very good friend of mine I have known for 2o yrs was a tad over 400 lbs , he's tried them all some he'd drop 30-40 lbs but nothing any where like he needed to loose so after 1o yrs of fighting it he had sugery 18 months later he now weighs 186 lbs his health improved so much he got off darm near all his meds, but that's not for every one and the reason I asked how much you wanted to looseass and no resl weight loss

hard word outs can help but often you trade fat for musele mass gain

personaly most years I loose nearly 100 lbs gain 10 lbs , only to gain it back an loose it again cycle goes on over but I can't realy do any real exersize

and that realy hurts

O dude I feel your pain. I was always very thin like 140 @ 6'3" and I played allot of sports. I was not good to my knees then and have issues now. I also bulked up allot at one point. I went from 140 - 205 and pretty much all muscle. Then someone hit me (in a car) and I was not putting in the 6 days a week in the gym and turned to fat. Right now I just try and keep it to a happy medium.

Only way for fast loss is going to be very strict diet (even down to weighing food on gram scale then putting on plate then charting in log book) Your going to have to keep a strict wake and sleep same time every day, and try and span the time as much as possible between, but you DO need sleep, and work out. If your knees are the bigest issue swim. Swimming has done the most for my knees and my back which also gives me problems.

But I don't care what you do, if you don't line up your diet with your work out (eating for workouts basicaly) your spinning your wheels. And only drink water, and eat whole foods, no preprocessed stuff. There is to much filler and your wasting your bodys time removing fillers and other junk.

Edited by jszucs

Well I'm not trying to loose weight (if anything I need to gain some) but in the past year or so I've been pushing myself to eat healthy and maintain a good exercise program. Here is what I suggest and what has worked for me. Sorry, this is going to be long.

Obviously...eating right and exercising are the answer. Yes this is way too vague and almost impossible to do...ie dropping all of your old habits, running to the gym, and actually keeping up with it....we all know that it doesn't work like that....works for a few weeks and then you go back to your old way of doing things.

So here is what has been working for me:

As far as diet:

In order to replace the fast food, sodas, etc. in your life, you need to create a healthy diet that you actually want to eat! Basically you need meals that taste BETTER than the junk food. This is really hard to do...but it is possible.

• Look in your area for a local farmer to see if he/her has a 'farm share' program. I found a 100% organic farmer within 2 miles from me. I paid an upfront price for his 'farm share' program. Every week I pick up a very large box with a mixture of all different types of fresh organic vegetables. First off fresh vegetables taste 500% better than anything you buy in the store...they just do. You want to eat them...fresh carrots, fresh green beans, fresh lettuce, etc. It simply tastes good. Secondly, you will be resistent to allowing the box of fresh vegetables to go bad...simply because you paid for them and you have them. Basically it is a mind trick to yourself, you are going to eat them prior to them going bad. After weeks and weeks, you get used to eating like this...it is amazing how much less you eat out, junk food, etc. without even thinking about it.
  • Same goes with meats...look up a local butcher and find a place to buy good steaks, hamburger meet, etc. Break out your gas grill and use it. Not much beats the taste of a fresh grilled steak! Again, you will want to stay at home and eat! Buy a bunch of it....take the spurge and spend the money. Its amazing the effect that spending the money has on you in regards to eating what you purchased. It's almost like buying your way to eating healthy..in a round about way.
  • Take advantage of summer berry picking...I know, it sounds stupid. What guy wants to go out and pick berries, lol. But your wife or girlfriend or sister or mother or kids or neices/nephews, doesn't matter, will LOVE it!!! Kill two birds with one stone...you get a very high quantity of good fruits that you pop in your mouth over the next several weeks like candy and you spend quality time with someone whom you care a lot about.
  • Get a good daily vitamin and force it into your morning routine. I also take fish oils daily...for a different reason that I'll bring up later.
  • Don't buy soda...don't keep it in your house. Use it as a treat for when you do go out. Does your fridge have an ice maker/water dispenser on it? If not, consider one and use it. I love the convenience factor...I only drink water when I'm at home. Force yourself into water by simply making the other beverages hard to get at. Don't mix up ice teas, etc. Leave the mixes in the cabinet and mix them up a cup at a time in lieu of a pitcher at a time. I myself leave my beer in the basement fridge...use laziness to your advantage...make it harder to access the stuff that isn't good for you and easy to access what is.
  • Go thru your budget, find out how much you spend on eating out. Divert those funds into the fresh ingredients as discussed earlier and something that you really want (conquest parts works, haha) and TRACK it month to month. Force yourself to feel bad when you eat out....this is easy to do when you think of it as a budget. You feel bad for spending the money rather than for eating unhealthy. To me, its easier to blow off the eating healthy part than it is to waste $10 on crappy food that I could be spending elsewhere on something that I really want.

Exercise:

• Ok this is one that has to be tailered to the individual. You don't want to jump into something head over heals that your body isn't cut out for. You'll just either give up quick or worse...get yourself hurt. I myself enjoy running...but I pushed myself too hard and ended up with a stress fracture and have been down for 12 weeks plus. So really put some thought into this. What do you enjoy doing...what do you want to be doing that you can't....focus on these and push for them. Biking? Kayaking? Hiking? Lifing weights? Football? Its up to you.
  • Start off with simple things like walking more or low impact things like riding a bike on a trail. If you strive to do something that you know that your body isn't ready for yet...then research the hell out of it and come up with a good training plan to prevent injuring yourself. Consider a personal trainer, if needed...although I think internet clubs works better and are free.
  • Find internet clubs for your desired sport....biking, skiing, hiking...whatever. Just a club similar to SQC that focuses on these particular activities. Join the group, sign up for the events, meet new friends, and have a good time!
  • For individual sports, sign up for an event...a mud run, a 5k, a biking poker run. Great motivation to keep yourself training.
  • If you are wanting to push yourself hard to loose weight, there is a woman who made herself a milionaire over helping you do it..Jillian Michaels...lol. Seriously, I love the Jillian Michaels DVDs...everything from '30 day shred' to her yoga dvds. She pushes you and the good thing about doing exercises in front of the tv is that you can customize your workout without feeling bad in front of others. If you can't do something that she is doing on the tape, you don't do it..or do a different exercise instead. Good rainy day thing to do and feel good about doing it.
  • Keep the inflamation down! Stretch before and after every excerize regardless of what it is. If you don't know the specific stretches to do...google them. YouTube has millions of videos on proper ways to stretch specific muscles. Get a foam roller and use it after every strenous exercise. Get use to using ice on sore muscles and joints...it is amazing how much 10 minutes of ice reduces pain and swelling. Take a fish oil with omega 3s daily...as mentioned earlier. It is an anti-inflamatory. You'll be working out longer, more consitently, etc. with less pain and soreness.

kev

• Like 1

Yeah Kev brings up a good point. I went psyco with the diet and work outs at one point and it was not "liveable" you need to make a "life change" and in order to do that it's got to be something you can do day in and day out. In my case when I went psyco with it, I was only able to maintain that level for like 3 years then it all feel apart. It was not liveable.

Here is a great example. Cinimon life.... sure it's got some sugar but it's not the worst, its good nutrient other then that, and it tastes good, you culd eat it every day in the morning if you had to. It also travles easy for a snack or to keep you from eating bad stuff. I would just buy a box and take it to work, when I would snak I would snack on that. But I also like dry cerial so it worked out for me. It was my "liveable" substute item.

Bottom line if it's work out or diet ect it needs to be a total life change, so it's got to be something that you can live with long term.

I dated a gril who ran 10 miles 6 days a week, sundays was off day. For her that was livable (infact you didn't want to be around her if she didn't run yet. she was adicted) for me that's NUTS and I would quit after day 1.

Edited by jszucs

shogun121: You won't lose any weight until you actually want to. And you obviously don't want to cause you're asking about it on the internet instead of just doing it. Do you have any idea how fat people get so fat?

Want to undo those years of eating like a disgusting pig and being so lazy that now you can't walk? START by cutting your meals in half. Don't eat past 5 pm. If you get hungry before bed, drink a glass of water. You don't need to change your food, don't cook less, but whatever is on your plate, only eat half of it. And get smaller plates.

Whenever you finally decide to get serious about losing fat, you won't need any commentary from the peanut gallery on a car website. You won't need a trainer. You only need yourself.

Also, post pics pre and post.

If you say your cholesterol was up, you were at a Dr's office. Ask the doctor for recomendations. Everybody has their own limits as to how much exercise they can do. The Dr can give you a basis for a diet/exercise program that will slowly take off the weight. Any rapid weight loss is not always good. If you're loosing 1-2 lbs a week your good.

It becomes a lifestyle

Good luck with you journey.

Yo Kev, my family and I went the organic route about 6 months ago. My wallet sure feels it. They really milk the hell out of "organic" in SoCal. For example, a gallon of milk now cost me $7.00 or more as opposed to two gallons for the same price at CostCo.

Most important reason why we went organic is the need remove GMO's from our foods, at least as much as possible. Genetically Modified Organism's (GMO's) are everywhere. You think that's a natural watermelon you're buying at the market? Nature didn't make seedless watermelons. EVerything including fruits, vegetables, leggumes, cereal, oatmeals etc. have GMO's in them. Read up on it, not something you really want to consciously continue consuming.

For this same reason, it's hard to find natural foods these days. And yes, the natural foods do taste better, they smell better.

Edited by louswheel01

ever hear of a thing called gardening , and you do not need 3 acres to do it , in fact if you got room for a bunch of 5 gal buckets you don't need a yard at all

also don't feel so sure that ORGANIC food sign your reading isn't lieing to you most of the time that sign is just that a sign looking for a sucker

I went from around 230 in March to 195 today, but it's been a lot of hard work. I had to completely change my diet around and started going to the gym 4 times a week. Here's what I typically eat during the day.

• Breakfast - 2 eggs and two sausage links or bacon
  • Snack - protein bar ( I like the Detour brand )
  • Lunch - shrimp and salad
  • Dinner - protein of some sort ( chicken breast, steak, drumsticks, turkey patties ) and a salad

It doesn't look like a lot, but I'm really never hungry. I even allow myself two drinks a night should I want them, but I always use diet soda to make them. I also have three fish oil capsules with breakfast and dinner. They're supposed to prevent you from getting loose skin. As for exercise, I try to get to the gym during the week and take the weekends off. I usually do a half-hour of cardio to get warmed up, then a half-hour of weight training. On Saturday my family will usually go out for dinner, then I'll allow myself to eat whatever I want without worrying about it. My target weight is 185, so I'm hoping in another month or so I should be there.

ever hear of a thing called gardening , and you do not need 3 acres to do it , in fact if you got room for a bunch of 5 gal buckets you don't need a yard at all

also don't feel so sure that ORGANIC food sign your reading isn't lieing to you most of the time that sign is just that a sign looking for a sucker

Shelby, I cannot grow weeds even if I wanted. Besides, I don't have that kind of time.

Helterbot that's awsome. Keep up the good work.

Don't be fooled though Diet soda is just as bad if not worse other then the lack of sugar (and most don't even use sugar). Your body still has to spend time and devote resources to processing that junk out, and it was just empty fillers going in, so there is no benefit to drinking it. If you were getting something from it, you could say OK, but it's just empty fillers.

Also be very cautious of using weight especialy as a long term goal. Basicly at one point your going to put on more muscle and muscle weights up to 3X what fat does and fat can be in some cases 10X the volumen. I had a friend get very discouraged and it derailled him after he droped a bunch of weight, got around where he wanted to be, and then weight just started packing on (he gained a ton of muscle) and the weight gain derailed him. Try to use body composition (especialy if you have access to an emersion tank at your gym) do not us BMI BMI puts me right on the verge of obeste and I can almost see a 6 pack again.

Edited by jszucs