Do you think an adult should be sentenced to jail for doing drugs?

patra_is_here

Drug use is a victimless crime... generally. Drug abuse may have victims (via thefts, car collisions, etc).

But the problem larger than drug use, is drug distribution.

If they legalize drugs, the cartels, mafia, street gangs are all out of business. Or at the very least they all need to find new business ventures. We can't have that.

Should drug use be encouraged? No. Should it be illegal? No.

The war on drugs will never be won. You can't win a war on an object or an idea. Heck, they can't even keep drugs out of PRISONS!

Since you will never be able to stop people from using drugs, there should be safe, legal channels to get them (so that the money does not end up in the hands of organized crime groups) and greed does not compromise the purity of drugs (for safety).

Say heroin becomes legal tomorrow. Are you going to go out and do heroin and be an addict? No, odds are if you are not on drugs now, it's because it's against your morals or something, not because it's illegal. The legality change most likely will not change that.

Well said TUX

"Drug use is a victimless crime... generally. Drug abuse may have victims (via thefts, car collisions, etc)."

I think that sums it up perfectly.

Say heroin becomes legal tomorrow. Are you going to go out and do heroin and be an addict? No, odds are if you are not on drugs now, it's because it's against your morals or something, not because it's illegal. The legality change most likely will not change that.

I would agree to that maybe for the "hard" drugs out there, but not pot. I know of at least 20-30 people who used to smoke pot but don't anymore because their jobs drug test or whatnot. All are waiting for the day for it to be legalized or for them to retire so they can smoke again.

I would agree to that maybe for the "hard" drugs out there, but not pot. I know of at least 20-30 people who used to smoke pot but don't anymore because their jobs drug test or whatnot. All are waiting for the day for it to be legalized or for them to retire so they can smoke again.

And is that not ridiculous? Nobody cares if you are getting drunk to the point of black out every day after work, until you get a DUI... and even then, nobody cares, DUI's are old hat.

Edited by tux

in terms of illegal drugs, big stuff over pot. i would agree on jail time, although no matter what you do they will probably end right back up on drugs.

my main reason, generally speaking, those who do the bigger drugs, tend to steal, not care for others (including their children) and ruin their families.

whereas alcohol can do the same thing, generally bigger drugs are a lot worse.

in terms of illegal like pot, i dont care if you smoke it, but do it at home, not in streets, in parking lots, at friends houses, etc. also, dont try and get me to join, or constantly post on facebook etc how cool it is and how it shouldnt be illegal. it makes me just wanna beat the crap out of someone. its annoying. aside from this post you wont see me constantly preaching about how drugs are bad, or you should convert to Christianity etc.

there are a lot of pot heads in my area, and they have accomplished nothing in life. most of the ones in my area act like they are on bigger drugs with the lies and thieving.

so i do believe in jail for drugs, however it will not make them stop.

though i also believe in jail for killing, killing, shooting, armed robbery should have worse punishment (assuming drugs didnt involve this or child neglect)

you guys keep equating doing drugs with committing other crimes. I used to work in rehab, I saw CEOs and professionals who smoked crack but never did any crimes or resorted to some sort of terrible person or lifestyle. they just had an addiction, that's all.

you think a person should be locked in jail and have a felony and basically have their life ruined simply because they have an addiction? that seems so damn counter-productive for society.

People who don't want pot legal:

Folks that swallowed the propaganda

Police

Federal agents

Drug task forces

Pharmaceutical companies

Illegal US and foreign growers

Smugglers

Drug dealers

Medical Marjiuana Dispensaries

Legal Medical Marajiuana growers

None of them really want it legal. All have their livelihood in the game. I met a legal grower in California who told me the the growers bound together and paid lobbyist to persuade the government to dis-allow new growers into the program. They also support marijuana's current state of being illegal. That is what happens when people build an industry, people start pushing for the government to protect their profits.

Edited by Cloud81918

I didn't read any of this thread cause I assume it's a bunch of retarded assumptions and opinions, but people who are high or drunk and driving a car can KILL you. Don't be naive.

yes and no one here supports driving while intoxicated.

Pot? Legalize it. Tax it. Regulate it. The ONLY reason it isn't legal is because they can't make money off of it...yet. Once they figure out how to profit from it every municipality in the country will add a tax to it. That $10 joint you can buy illegally now will turn into a $35 joint to cover what "the man" takes.

I'm not a smoker, I'm not a drinker, but I've been around PLENTY of both (used to get a little buzz on once in a while, but it's been decades). I have never seen anybody get stoned and go out looking for trouble. Never seen a anybody get high and start static with his family or friends. Never heard tale of it killing anybody. On the other hand, the combined direct and indirect effects of tobacco and alcohol kill half a million people in the US every year. The associated medical bills drive up insurance costs for EVERYBODY. Families are torn apart, friends lost, loved one estranged, yet it's not only legal it's condoned and advertised. Yesterday (funny this topic hits now) I saw two billboards for beer in the shady part of town. To me it was like saying "Might as well drink, you've got nothing better to do". Bottom line, the higher-ups don't care what it does to people, families, or communities as long as there's revenue rolling in from it.

well put.

I didn't read any of this thread cause I assume it's a bunch of retarded assumptions and opinions, but people who are high or drunk and driving a car can KILL you. Don't be naive.

however a completely sober clean person can also kill you while driving lol

Depends on how you use them.

Alot of places have made them illegal because of the problems that pop up with their use (not in the tub) The whole synthetic drug scene is bad. Incence and bath salts leading the way. I had a friend who got strung out on syn pot. He spent so much money on it, almost lost his wife and child over it. Then one day he just quit.

Then there was the guy was was shot by the police after he ate some guys face half off... yea the stuff does bad things to ya. Officials make one thing illegal, drug makers change one stinking molecule and its back on the market labeled as something different.

As for me, I'm one of those guys waiting for retirement.lol

Some of you guys must not realize that "bath salts and "incense" do not get you high, they are mearly street slang names for the synthetic substances.... lol

Chad-

I should clarify... They ARE labeled as those things but just to be able to legally sell.

Chad-

Alot of places have made them illegal because of the problems that pop up with their use (not in the tub) The whole synthetic drug scene is bad. Incence and bath salts leading the way. I had a friend who got strung out on syn pot. He spent so much money on it, almost lost his wife and child over it. Then one day he just quit.

Then there was the guy was was shot by the police after he ate some guys face half off... yea the stuff does bad things to ya. Officials make one thing illegal, drug makers change one stinking molecule and its back on the market labeled as something different.

As for me, I'm one of those guys waiting for retirement.lol

I completely disagree. The designer drugs that show up in gas stations and the like are mostly crap and not the best molecular design. There are plenty that have been designed by very intelligent chemists. Also I don't believe drugs like mushrooms, LSD, MDMA/Ecstasy, and such should be illegal either. You should have control of what you want to put in your body. Freedom is stifled every time someone goes to jail for drug possession.