My "burned car" mod...and one slightly charred...

shogun121

Soooo, Ive been off the grid for awhile, lurking and such. Had alot of things going on in my life. My daughter was born preemie, we "bought" a house, but bought is in quotes because we were victims to an elaborate scam and lost house and a very large sum of money. Switched jobs-for the better- and bought, for real and for keeps this time, another house. So my Quest and other projects and hobbies just kinda had to be shelved for awhile til I got my family settled. Well, about a month ago I decided I had neglected my Quest a bit too long, so i installed a new battery, gassed it up and drove it from my mom's place where it was garaged to our new house. Two days later some jagbag decided he wanted to burglarize my Daily, an 07 HHR. But, haha, he must've been feeling extra feisty cuz after he took whatever trinkets and un-valuables i could have had there he decided to do this:

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/shogun121/IMG_20130508_083221_637.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/shogun121/IMG_20130508_083157_313.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/shogun121/IMG_20130508_083332_401.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/shogun121/IMG_20130508_083346_037.jpg

Luckily our house didnt catch fire and our Odyssey was undamaged, also I had left my wifes Pontiac at my mom's so it wasnt damaged either, but the HHR was destroyed and the Quest is charred with all the plastic on the drivers side melted. It pisses me off that people would be such lowlifes to have such a blatant disregard for others property and not have the foresight to think that setting a car on fire with it up against the garage might cause the entire thing to go up. We were the 2nd victims of the night. A neighbor from a couple of blocks down got his truck torched and the neighbor from a few houses down also had his new Veloster burned, though his was also against the garage and part of it burned as well. I just wanted to touch base with the forum and share what happened. Im probably gonna be here, on the parts for sale board so Ill be around again more often lol

That is just downright LOWLife!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel for you! I trust @ least your homeowners policy will cover it all & then some! I had the mindset, that you'll be back, & your family, stronger than ever! A door closes... & another is opened wider than before! Trust, march through it, to a new place, a better place! Again I'm sorry for your loss, look for the gains ahead! :)

That's terrible.

Im going to dig through my parts and see if I have a Mirror, window trim, and door handle. If I have them I'll send you for free. I probably have a driver's side spoiler too.

that is unbelievable. Super f'd up. You should prolly replace the glass too. I bet you can break it with a finger flick. Sorry to see that man. Edited by Convette

im in north west indiana, come get any parts you need. the only thing i dont have is the rear spoiler and front fender. parts are r04 red but were primered at some point. dont even think it was a scuff and shoot. just a wash and shoot. Edited by wrngwae

obviously the logic was to burn the car to destroy their fingerprints.

Not necessarily. I've had my cars broken into a few times and they never dust for prints. I asked why they didn't once and was told that they're not going to spend the time and effort over a stolen CD player... having a forensic team come out would cost more than the damage. They pretty much told me to expect nothing to ever come from it, and to just hit my insurance up for a new CD player. The only way they said someone would get caught is if they happened to get pulled over or caught with it in their possession for some other, more serious crime... Otherwise, they had more important criminals to use their resources on. Sometimes thieves just want to add insult to injury. I had a $3k system stolen once. Wasn't bad enough they took the system, but they keyed the car and slashed the tires too. I was one of 5 cars in the apartment complex that night that got the same treatment, otherwise I would have figured it was someone targeting me with the vandalism and all. Makes no sense to torch it... they just went from a minor theft charge to a major destruction of property charge. Gonna spend more time in jail for burning a car than stealing some stuff out of it, and I bet the cops will try harder to catch a car torcher, over just some kid gankin stereos. Sorry for what you're having to deal with. Hope it all gets handled and fixed as cheap and stress-free as possible.

yeah but meth heads are paranoid and do not tend to make 'reasonable' decisions.

a simple thief (stealing solely for the income) knows not to create anything that will get them caught (such as extra damage, setting a car on fire, etc). 'normal' thieves just quickly steal and leave. the burning implies a level of mental dysfunction, to the point where burning made sense to the criminal.

if it was simply arson, then there wouldn't have been items stolen.

maybe meth isn't an issue in your state, but out here a lot of the 'bizarre' crimes (crimes that don't make logical sense) are linked to methamphetimines.

Edited by patra_is_here

yeah but meth heads are paranoid and do not tend to make 'reasonable' decisions.

a simple thief (stealing solely for the income) knows not to create anything that will get them caught (such as extra damage, setting a car on fire, etc). 'normal' thieves just quickly steal and leave. the burning implies a level of mental dysfunction, to the point where burning made sense to the criminal.

if it was simply arson, then there wouldn't have been items stolen.

maybe meth isn't an issue in your state, but out here a lot of the 'bizarre' crimes (crimes that don't make logical sense) are linked to methamphetimines.

Yeah, that meth stuff didn't get bad in MI until the 2000's, so in my case it was probably young kids out to vandalize as much as steal.

Wow you guys. I am really humbled by your kind words and thoughts. The police did try and get as much info as possible but all this happened at 3 am and in a very quiet neighborhood. Its one of the reasons we decided to move here. The cars were destroyed so completely i dont think they could have recovered much evidence. To be honest I kinda think it was just some idiot teenagers getting their kicks stealing and setting the cars on fire or just torching cars. I didn't have anything in the car really, maybe some hand tools and CDs. I'm with Burton I'm feeling like I know at least we weren't just being singled out seeing as how my neighbors cars were also set on fire. We were just lucky the house didn't catch. At 3 am it could have ended in tragedy. Your offers are all very generous and it wasn't my intention to post in order to get stuff out of it. I was just feeling a bit overwhelmed and helpless and just wanted to share with the class what had happened. I know our cars are scarce but this group has people that are one of a kind. You guys are a class act all the way.

What's happening with the insurance and all? Do you plan to save the starion? Poor car. I dont get why people are such scumbags like that. Its one thing to damage the cars but like you said people easily could have been killed had the house gone up while you's were asleep. If I had parts to offer you I would but my car doesnt look much better than yours at the moment im afraid haha Edited by yzrider

The insurance covered the HHR 100% but the Quest was uninsured seeing as how its been off the road for the last two years. Homeowners insurance won't cover it because its a vehicle and needs to have its own policy. I'm keeping the car and gonna work on getting it all purty again. Its mostly cosmetic. The glass goes up and down and the door latch works from the inside but the plastics on the outside, the door handle, mirror, window trim and rear spoiler are all FUBAR. Even the wheel caps, amber side marker and taillight on that side got melted and the heat was enough to make the quarter glass seal goopy and drip onto the top of the back seat.

Psychos are everywhere, my family has been dealing with my moms high school stalker(a girl) spray painting our cars lately but after we got cameras it stopped. I got lucky that since my car is black and her paint was black that she only did my liscense plate. Not nearly as bad as what you are dealing with, wish you luck on getting this sorted out with both cars. Edited by tankbob