bolt broke off, on oil pump

88-cnqst-tsi

the long bolt in the top left corner of the pump that holds it to the block broke off, there is only like 3/16" of the bolt sticking out of the block. Don't ask how it happened I don't even know but if anyone knows a way to get it out or fix it, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

mini vise grips or left handed drill bits,, it won't be hard to remove

oh and using 3/8 " or 1/2 " wratchets is how you over tighten them and break them

but would the vise grips run the risk of breaking it flush to the block, when my o2 sensor stud stripped I tried heat and vise grips then it broke the stud soo close to being flush but I welded a nut to what was left then I got it out

but would the vise grips run the risk of breaking it flush to the block, when my o2 sensor stud stripped I tried heat and vise grips then it broke the stud soo close to being flush but I welded a nut to what was left then I got it out

completely diff location those small bolts almost never sieze in the threads and do not bottom out

so basicly over tightening them is the only way you break one off,, I have taken many out with a sharp pointed pick , and some times with just my fingers

completely diff location those small bolts almost never sieze in the threads and do not bottom out

so basicly over tightening them is the only way you break one off,, I have taken many out with a sharp pointed pick , and some times with just my fingers

it wasn't all the way in when it broke though so I think theres some dirt or something in the hold cause I didn't cross thread it

hum every bolt to the oil pump is a diff length

3/16" is enough to get a good pair on small vise grips on it,, do not try a standard size pair

ok lll try but if the worst possible thing happens and it breaks flush to the block what can I do

Edited by 88-cnqst-tsi

it wasn't all the way in when it broke though so I think theres some dirt or something in the hold cause I didn't cross thread it

If there was liquid in the hole it can get trapped when the bolt is tightened, it won't compress and can cause the bolt to break like it bottomed out in the hole. I broke a head bolt off flush with the block that way, ended with a flatbed trip to the machine shop. This little guy should be much easier to get out, especially if you can grab it.

small hammer and and sharp center punch. I've broken those bolts in the block before. They come out real easy. If you can get vise grips on it you'll be good to go. Mine broke flush and a couple light taps to rotate the broken bolt counterclockwise was all it took.

Sears (crafstman) sells that "bolt out" kit.... I had some really tuff bolts that were so rusted the bolts rouned off to the point of having no head on them. The bolt out took them out with ease.... I was amazed. I though it would work but not as well as it did. I went back and bought the 2nd filler kit so I have all the sizes now.

Note these will also remove the non key locked wheel locks with ease. You put it on, hit it enough to make it bite in with a hammer and you can put a ratchet on them or a wrench depending on your working location.

Edited by jszucs

thanks for all the suggestions guys, I got it out by welding a nut to what was sticking out but now I need the bolt that goes in the right hand side of the chain guied on the oil pump, its a M6 x 1.0 that's 6cm long

Um hardware store, in the bolts isle.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, I got it out by welding a nut to what was sticking out but now I need the bolt that goes in the right hand side of the chain guied on the oil pump, its a M6 x 1.0 that's 6cm long

Go to Ace Hardware. They carry many different Metric bolt sizes and lengths.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I went to 5 different stores 3 of them were auto stores but the max length everyone goes is 50mm but I did find a tray for the right bolt but it was filled with a bunch of random crap, so ill go to a all fastener store tomorrow and they might have it and I don't have Ace hardware store here Edited by 88-cnqst-tsi

I went to 5 different stores 3 of them were auto stores but the max length everyone goes is 50mm but I did find a tray for the right bolt but it was filled with a bunch of random crap, so ill go to a all fastener store tomorrow and they might have it and I don't have Ace hardware store here

Yeah kind of figured you woudn't have Ace.... Do you have fastenal? *sp If so that is a sure bet as that is all they sell. At wrost case I'm sure you can order one off the interwebs no?

Yeah kind of figured you woudn't have Ace.... Do you have fastenal? *sp If so that is a sure bet as that is all they sell. At wrost case I'm sure you can order one off the interwebs no?

I do have a Fastenal but its a mon-fri closed at 5pm like all the quality stores and its far away, but if the closer store doesn't have it ill check them out and I don't have time for shipping, I need my car out of school on Friday