white residue in exhaust manifold and housing?

mitsustar86

Just got my new turbo and when I took the one off my car I noticed the inside of the exhaust manifold and housing had white residue on it. I thought its normally black? Does this mean I'm not getting enough fuel? Or too much? Or somthing else?

Were you losing any coolant before you changed the turbo? If so, the "white" residue is indicative of coolant going through the exhaust system. The source of the coolant leaks could be the old turbo coolant seals weeping or perhaps you have a weep in the block to head gasket, in the intake manifold/head gasket, or in the TB to intake manifold gasket/o-ring.

If you want to know if you have a coolant system weep then run a coolant system pressure test, or if needs be a compression test test on all of the cyclinders.

If the residue is beige to tan in color it could be the residue from running the crappy gas & it's additives that we are forced to run.

If you still have coolant loss then I would STRONGLY suggest that you gut the primary cat if it hasn't been gutted already. Over many years on SQC, engine coolant in the exhaust system has been shown to cause corrosion and clogging of the primary cat converter.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS - I moved your post to the Virtual Mechanic Forum where it belongs.

^ Isnt the turbos coolant area separate like a water jacket?

Yes, but if you have a coolant leak, for example, a slightly blown headgasket or possibly the gasket on the tbi assembly, it will show up in the exhaust. Jimmy

any thing is possible but the oem ecu can only change the fuel mixture 10% , and makes no mixture changes during boost , fuel is delivered from a pre set map , using TPS, air mass and increasing fuel pressure

most times the ecu will default to open loop when the CTS signal is messed up, and open loop is over rich for most driving