my engine vibrates and it looses bolts

rioyellow

I have a harley riding friend, read your post, & now wants a ride in your car! (she smacked me, & asked why my car can't do this?) :o Edited by kidjc

do you want the straight up answer

do a bal shaft elim and new gears and guides ASAP , it's too late to even worry about replaceing bal shaft brgs

question have you recently had the fly wheel off , 9 out of 10 of you new guys do not tourqe the fly wheel boltsd and they work loose , but if it hasn't been mess'd with thats not your problem

some questions non mechanics ask are almost imposible to answer ,,cause you don't know what or how to say things that will realy help some one find your problem with out going thru the entire 50 diff reasons why an engine can vibrate or shake

first if the oil pressure is not up to par and i do not mean 1/2 up on the gauge , the stock gauge should read 3/4 or better with new oil,,

check to see if all 4 cyls are fireing,, short 1 plug wire out at a time and see if the engine shakes,, if it makes no diff with 1 or more plugs short'd it is not fireing on all 4 ,,

do a comp test and leak down if a cyl is not fireing,,

remove the front inspection cover and tighten up the bal shaft chain,, if this makes any diff at all,, do not run the engine any more

if you have not found any problem up to this point,, drop the oil pan and look for metal and or small chunks of plastic , most of the time the shaft brg is laying in the p0an in one huge piece but some times it can stay in one piece and slide down the shaft and not fall into the oil pan , but tell tell pieces will be there

your gona have to do some real tests and inspections asap or your not gona have an engine to mess with

the more info you can give us the more help we can be

if you like your bolts rattling loose... otherwise find a machine shop that's competent enough to put bearings in for the balance shafts

Said no one ever that has done the bsek on there car. Show me one instance of a car running no balance shaft and bolts vibrated loose? More likely bad tune, missing, broken engine mounts, dead cylinder or many other far more common starquest issues.

do you want the straight up answer

do a bal shaft elim and new gears and guides ASAP , it's too late to even worry about replaceing bal shaft brgs

Yep I agree. Balance shaft bearing and the chains and guides they have are all gonna add to whatever vibration you had. I am basing that statement on two starions I have bsek'ed and one d-50 and from reading others post about the bsek. I used to have a video on yahoo of my car fast idling with a mason jar full of mtn. dew setting on the mirror polished valve cover perfectly still.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

I think it's hilarious that people think balance shafts mean anything at idle.... They are for when the car is revving...

I have an excellent machinist out here who won't give you excuses on why the bearings he put in failed...

Edited by mistapickles

I think it's hilarious that people think balance shafts mean anything at idle.... They are for when the car is revving...

I have an excellent machinist out here who won't give you excuses on why the bearings he put in failed...

Glad you got a laugh out of it. I am just giving info to the original poster about successful things I have done. I try to be accurate and unbiased. I will admit I am on the delete the balance shaft band wagon and for good reason too. At idle or up past 6k.

Yeah speaking from experience here when one balance shaft bearing fails it will increase vibration at idle, though much more obvious in higher rpms than that. Check the motor mounts first, but I fear the worst. Sounds like a few of these cases lately.

the reason for replacement bal shaft brg failure is simple ,, you have no way to clearance the new brg after it is press'd in

nearly all brg failure after brgs were replace'd are due to the brg being TOO tight on the shafts

at the time i quit work NO after market engine rebuilder such as ATK or any other company were doing bal shaft install on reman engine , ALL did bal shaft elim

you may be able to rig some thing for the upper rear brg but nothing will get to the lower rear brg

, after market wise any way ,, most machine shops do not have the equipment that the car makers do

well my engine is rebuilt I only have about 50 miles in it and the balance safts are eliminated everything is good oil pressure temperature runs good motor mounts are good but there's a little vibration I can feel it on my pedals

the reason for replacement bal shaft brg failure is simple ,, you have no way to clearance the new brg after it is press'd in

nearly all brg failure after brgs were replace'd are due to the brg being TOO tight on the shafts

at the time i quit work NO after market engine rebuilder such as ATK or any other company were doing bal shaft install on reman engine , ALL did bal shaft elim

you may be able to rig some thing for the upper rear brg but nothing will get to the lower rear brg

, after market wise any way ,, most machine shops do not have the equipment that the car makers do

Meaning no aftermarket engine builder wanted to deal with getting the equipment to do a proper engine build and felt it was cheaper to get a marketing campaign that said it was necessary... Same way cigarette manufacturers said cigarettes were healthy in the 50's and they still deny they cause cancer, you were sold a bill of goods. Balance shafts are in darn near every four cylinder motor for a reason and because some engine remanufacturer can't figure out how to replace them doesn't mean you don't need them.

well my engine is rebuilt I only have about 50 miles in it and the balance safts are eliminated everything is good oil pressure temperature runs good motor mounts are good but there's a little vibration I can feel it on my pedals

I'd guess you should get used to a balance shaftless motor.

Meaning no aftermarket engine builder wanted to deal with getting the equipment to do a proper engine build and felt it was cheaper to get a marketing campaign that said it was necessary... Same way cigarette manufacturers said cigarettes were healthy in the 50's and they still deny they cause cancer, you were sold a bill of goods. Balance shafts are in darn near every four cylinder motor for a reason and because some engine remanufacturer can't figure out how to replace them doesn't mean you don't need them.

...............................................................................................

point out to me where i said they were not need'd . i was mearly makeing a point why the 2.6 don't normaly have them after a rebuild , many manufactours made sure they had a way to have acess to the bal shaft brgs on other model engines

...............................................................................................

point out to me where i said they were not need'd . i was mearly makeing a point why the 2.6 don't normaly have them after a rebuild , many manufactours made sure they had a way to have acess to the bal shaft brgs on other model engines

Well I can only speak from personal experience on the balance shaft delete topic. I See the balance shafts fitting in the same group as the catalytic converter right behind the turbo, the rubber o-ring on the turbo intake boot, the cardboard starfish in the mass air sensor, the rubber insert in the stock shift lever extension, the metal o-ring in the turbo to manifold connection, the amazingly restrictive intake boot on the aircan, the lack of a compressor bypass valve. We replace these parts with downpipes, blow off/bypass valves, accordion hardpipes, short shifters, etc etc and have a much more pleasing experience. Sure mitsubishi decided we need all this stuff in our cars but come on how critical is it? I remember years ago everyone said OH MY GOD NO DONT GO 3 INCH EXHAUST and now its like a staple recomendation, same thing with the lightweight fly wheel issue , everyone used to say oh no no no you'll vibrate and its too light you'll loose all your power and never make it up hills. I have a fidanza and no balnce shaft and a urethane trans mount and vibration is not bad. So do I trust my personal experience or do I just blindly say "oh Mitsubishi put that part in my car I better keep it like that?" I am going with personal experience on this one.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

My sons daily has the shafts., with new bearings I might add- that i installed,.. so i guess i am competent?? My shetland does not have them, they did, they lasted a little over 300 miles,,, guess the shop screwed up.( Me) I get a buzz at about 3k, but i have awesome oil pressure in both the white quest and the Shetland. I'm happy without them,, would I build one with them?? If it's requested. For you guys that have them, when is the last time you adjusted the chain?

Dad

Well I can only speak from personal experience on the balance shaft delete topic. I See the balance shafts fitting in the same group as the catalytic converter right behind the turbo, the rubber o-ring on the turbo intake boot, the cardboard starfish in the mass air sensor, the rubber insert in the stock shift lever extension, the metal o-ring in the turbo to manifold connection, the amazingly restrictive intake boot on the aircan, the lack of a compressor bypass valve. We replace these parts with downpipes, blow off/bypass valves, accordion hardpipes, short shifters, etc etc and have a much more pleasing experience. Sure mitsubishi decided we need all this stuff in our cars but come on how critical is it? I remember years ago everyone said OH MY GOD NO DONT GO 3 INCH EXHAUST and now its like a staple recomendation, same thing with the lightweight fly wheel issue , everyone used to say oh no no no you'll vibrate and its too light you'll loose all your power and never make it up hills. I have a fidanza and no balnce shaft and a urethane trans mount and vibration is not bad. So do I trust my personal experience or do I just blindly say "oh Mitsubishi put that part in my car I better keep it like that?" I am going with personal experience on this one.

I guess you out engineered the engineers, they didn't need all those years of school did they???

I guess you out engineered the engineers, they didn't need all those years of school did they???

Whatever dude I never said any such thing. We are talking about one issue that I had positive results with. That's it. You don't see me talking smack or making smart alec comments about your weld in brace or seriously vented hood all of wich was not engineered into the car by Mitsubishi. Seriously this is another thread going in the hole and drifting of topic. I have shared my experience related to the topic. Your welcome.

ok guys heres the point,, yes if the engine is in GREAT shape keep the bal shafts ,,BUT what if the engine has 150-175k miles on it or your doing a rebuild , can you replace the bal shaft brgs and espect them to last ,,odds are not very good that they will have proper oil to shaft clearances and you have NO WAY to adjust the clearance on the lower shaft,,and you can't have one shaft in and one out

years back I did one and the lower brg was so tight the shaft would hardly turn,, I replace'd that brg3 times and all were too tight,, so I spent 3 days using valve laping compound to get enough clearance for the shaft to turn freely,, not a fun thing to do and that was 3 days I made not a dime , have no idea how long the engine last'd but it ran for 3 yrs I know of,, would I go thru that again ,,no way , best to just elim them and be done

as some have said,, almost all modern engines have bbal shafts but all have a way to acess the brgs so they can be clearance'd the 2.6 lower shaft brg is in a blind hole so clearanceing is a hit or miss with miss being the most common

I was wondering what can be caused by engine vibrating and losing up my bolts

If the vibration changes when you put the clutch in I would say it's the pilot bearing, need some more specifics on when the vibration happens or if it happens all the time.

Whatever dude I never said any such thing. We are talking about one issue that I had positive results with. That's it. You don't see me talking smack or making smart alec comments about your weld in brace or seriously vented hood all of wich was not engineered into the car by Mitsubishi. Seriously this is another thread going in the hole and drifting of topic. I have shared my experience related to the topic. Your welcome.

As for you being the victim now, I simply stated bsek, YOU jumped on the "bsek's are the savior of our motor" tip, which wasn't in response to what the op asked. My answer very well could be the vibration that is doing it, your answers were directed to me not the original poster. Nothing I said was misdirecting the op, you went on and on about how great a bsek is in your experience when the op had already said he had one and obviously can't get another bsek to make your point valid... I would suggest not cluttering people's threads if it concerns you so much.

And seeing how most sports car today have built in strut supports in the rear, most race cars have exit vents in the hood and ALL new four cylinder cars still have balance shafts I dont understand your logic....