Any thoughts on Chevy trucks?

Cloud81918

Looking at a truck for camping and towing. I was looking at late 90s/00 Fords. But I've started looking at Chevys as well. I'm not a brand loyalist, but stayed away from Chevys because:

1: I know little about them.

2: I had riden in some Chevy products from the 80's/90's and was totally turned off by their horrible interior quality.

But after a ride in a 2000 Silverado 2500l I'm semi-chubed. I'm interested in the 99 through 03 or so Silverado with the 6.0l LQ4. Seems to offer a good mix of power and mpg while staying under $10k with reasonable miles. Anyone have any experience with this era truck?

I have an Alaskian Cab-over I'm going to put on what ever truck I get which has a weight of about 1500lbs. Then I will be towing a trailer with a loaded weight max of about 4K. It seems like this fits into the weight region of the 2500 Chevy well with plenty of room for people and some stuff.

I know this is off Starquest topic, but there are a lot of voices on here that I trust and would like to hear from.

Edited by Cloud81918

I've never owned one, so I can't speak to how they drive. But judging from the fact that in 5 years I've never really sold a high volume of replacement parts for them, I'd say they are very reliable. I know the 4.8/5.3/6.0 are very tough motors.

For what it's worth, I know a guy with an 04 1500 that is very happy with his.

friend of mine had a 2005 turbo diesel chevy allison trans and that thing was a torque monster. ride was nice

and smooth comfy suspension. might want to check them out if your in to that style truck.

my father has a 2012 3/4 ton 4 door LTZ with the 6.6 duramax turbo diesel and allison transmission. loves it.

drives nice and when your in it i feel like i am sitting on a sofa chair. very nice. very good power

hauls a huge 28ft camper like nothing is back there.

Edited by importwarrior

If you get a stripped down one W/T the insides totally SUCK. But, the W/T is a WORK TRUCK there suposed to be rugged and not have bells and whistels to break. There the best bang for your buck IF you can live with it being a bare basics for work (towing, halling, lugging your tools around in ect) If your looking for a long distance haller to pack the family up in...... might not be what your looking for. The last 3 chev trucks my uncle bought have all been W/T's he swares by them because they have nothing in them to break.

The motors are good. Don't even fool yourself and think you will see anywhere close to that MPG if you put A/T tires on it, and especialy when loaded down or towing it's going to be like 6-9 mpg depending on loaded and towing amounts.

They are easy to work on (for almost everything) It's all got it's place, and not much BS stuff to take off to get to stuff. Only other downside I can think of is if 4wd the electric hubs can have problems. If towed with / plowed with ect the trans and transfer can cause problems (if not overly maintanced) ....... Very fist thing to do (especaily if it didn't come with towe package) remove the stock trans cooler lines running to radiator, and replace with aftermarket cooler. Replace the fuel filter (always clogged rarely repalced because the lines fittings always seem to break when you remove it (use good line wrenches)

Edited by jszucs

GM has deffinately had fewer issues with build quality since the late 90's. The reliability for all their vehicles have been getting much better. If you get something from the early-mid 2000's or newer, you'll probably be real happy. My dad and grandfather both owned late 90's- early 2000's Ford F150s and hated them. Can't remember if it was tie rods or ball joints, but both dad and gramps had to replace theirs many, many times. My dad was going thru them about once a year but they were covered under warranty. As soon as the warranty was up, he traded it in on a Tundra.

If I'm not mistaken, the Chevy Tahoe was rated one of the best SUV's money can buy lately. I know it's an SUV, but it uses a lot of truck parts, so I gotta think their trucks are doing pretty good too.

I bought a new '00 3/4 ton, one step above the w/t. The good - plenty of power out of the 350, nice ride, towed 6000#'s without effort. The bad - rear axle seals wore out covering the rear brake shoes with oil and that would screw with the abs badly, the ignition key stopped going in the accs position (to just listen to the radio when parked) and the driver's seat belt stopped retracting. These weren't major issues but nothing I expected before 60K miles. Also my friend had an '01 3/4 ton Suburban and we were pulling a trailer of quads to go camping in PA. The rear of the truck started smoking badly and we limped it to a Chevy dealer and dropped it off. Luckily we had another vehicle following us so we were able to continue on our way. Days later we drove to the dealership and they had the rear all apart. The axles were standing up and I noticed one was bowed. I pointed that out and sure enough the tech said wow, yes that does not look right. It was probably bad from the factory and they replaced it with a new one.

I have an 01 GMC 2500, 230,000 miles going strong as a plow truck now. Also an 04 GMC 2500 HD crew cab bought it with around 50,000 and have had no major issues. Few minor things going out here and there but over all very happy! The HD comes with the 4:10 rear end which is great for towing but sucks on gas mileage, 10-12 in the city and maybe 13-14 on the highway but I drive 75-80 mph so that doesn't help.

Gotta keep up on the fluid maintenance on the trannys. My best friend bought a new 07 2500 4wd, done a bit of towing with it, but mostly a daily driver. Trans smoked around 70k. He's got a buddy that runs a shop so we pulled the trans and took it in for the rebuild. This was 3 1/2 years ago and they're such a common failure point that his buddy had all the parts on the shelf. Other than that, he's lost a front wheel bearing and changed brakes. Been a decent truck.

So the one I'm looking at is a 2000 2500 Silverado LT 6.0l 4x4 (not Z-71). It has the tow package and 3.73 gears. It is a bit of an odd mix with the 3.73 gears and being a tow package 4X4. But I think it could end up as a good mix for what I'm wanting to do. I'm wanting to put my fairly light, low profile camper on it to go camping. Tow an open car trailer with car to races . And probably tow a boat to the lake occasionally. It is a pretty low truck for a 4x4, which I like and I'm probably going to keep it on pretty boring higway tires as I'm not going anywhere too crazy so no big off road tires for me.

I've seen nothing but good things about the engine. But it seems like the transmission and 4x4 bits should be watched.

Going to go pick it up to take it over to my mechanic for a once over today. So we'll see.

^ Yep sounds like you got the gist of it. The trans will be problem free for the most part IF it's had it's changes done like every 15-20K especialy if towed with / really worked in the past.

The towe package trans cooler or even better upgraded aftermarket one really helps too. O and if the servos give you issue / act up / show up on a scanner. Repalce them with one's from a Vet, and be done with them for life.

Edited by jszucs

So, I had it looked at and my mechanic came back with a few things. The truck was up for $8900, I offered $7500 as is knowing it would be refused and it would give some working room. Honestly, I think I made our well as we ended @ 8$K with them replacing the windshield (small crack) the knck sensors (about a 3 hour jb and one was warning of failure) and fix a seatbelt issue.

I figure that having someone do those things would end up costing me about $1000. I'd probably do them myself (except the windsheild) and save some money, but I'd rather not. So them doing it is just fine.

On our test we averaged 18MPG in around town, with a bit of highway (I drive trucks like a grandpa and little cars like a demon).

Thanks for the all of the input guys.

Anyway thanks for the help all, here is the truck.

http://upa7up.motorimgs.com/ph0to2/02/28/2013/11/38/56/ZEdoaGRHTmhjbkJzWVdObGFXNWpMUzB4TVMwdE1qSXc=.JPG

http://albuquerque.c...3649860939.html

Edited by Cloud81918

The K&N heps a bit on MPG (especialy if you drive it light) but clean and oil that thing.... it's white/gray in the pic. Unless that's not a K&N in there and is one of the AEM dry one's But that does look like a K&N box and pipe to me. Clean it OFTEN... VERY OFTEN like every oil change.... they get dirty quick. The bags for them help a little bit but not much.

You also got the upgrade (or aftermarket but look OEM) boards those were an expensive option, and are nice for some aero for HW runs. + the ladies like them.

O and there not as bad as the S-10's but still have issue with cab corners, fender flairs ECT rusting. Also open your tail gate handle and spray the whole inside of tail gate behind your fender flairs, in the wheel wells ECT with water proofing.

Edited by jszucs

It's not a pick up but they are all for the most part the same thing. Now I'm a ford guy but couldn't pass up the deal I got on my 03 Yukon Denali XL. I have to say I love it. Great power tows my car on a heavy trailer with7 guys and tools no problem and not too bad on gas when towing. They do have some electrical gremlins like bad instrument clusters,modules and master window switches. Overall a good buy.

Good luck

I'm normally a Ford or Dodge guy. I was looking at Fords. Gas Dodges in my price range just don't the the mileage I want and the Cummins are expensive and really not nice inside. While they look nice the interior bits are fragile and don't feel that great. The there a the transmission issues. My first vehicle was a Dodge truck and I just sold it last week.

I've never been a Chevy person. I've always admired the 350 from affar and I've dealt some with the 454. But man this 6.0l is awesome!!! Good power, reviews are putting it at near diesel longevity and mileage; And big block gasser pulling ability. Like I said my biggest beef with Chevy had alway been their interiors. While fine for work trucks, they just felt cheap as thing got more expensive.

• 8 months later...

Having been in the wrecking yard biz and now towing biz, Chevy trucks have better build quality than Ford and certain model Dodge Rams.

The Ford diesels suck. They sure look good, but the engines suck.

I've got an '01 GMC with 250,000 miles and had very little problems. It's farm, plow truck now. Also have a '04 GMC with over 100,000 miles and it has been a great truck. I haven't had to do anything that any other vehicle with 100,000 would need done. The only thing that would keep me from getting another is the government bailout that GM needed.

I've owned the truck about 9 months now. About 2 days after I bought it I noticed that after a long drive (30 mins or longer) the trans would heat up (mine has a gauge) then it would shift really hard. I took it back and the dealer had the valve body cleaned up and new solenoids put in. It still did it so he had the unit rebuilt. It has been great since then though. I get 18MPG if I stay out of it and I got a ton of stuff done in my backyard this summer since the truck is always ready to take on projects. I also got out camping with it.

I'm really happy with the truck.

Whet though this 2 years ago looking for a new truck.

Gm just seemed under powered and well the insides where just BLAAA.

Fords where nice but there was no price breaks on them

Dodge is what I got. Love the Hemi has plenty of power and plenty of Toys inside to keep the kid in me happy. And the discounts I couldn't pass up. 42,000 truck and got close to 7/8K off with discounts etc.

I've owned the truck about 9 months now. About 2 days after I bought it I noticed that after a long drive (30 mins or longer) the trans would heat up (mine has a gauge) then it would shift really hard. I took it back and the dealer had the valve body cleaned up and new solenoids put in. It still did it so he had the unit rebuilt. It has been great since then though. I get 18MPG if I stay out of it and I got a ton of stuff done in my backyard this summer since the truck is always ready to take on projects. I also got out camping with it.

I'm really happy with the truck.

AH yes the plge of the 4L60E....... Free shift kit just get her warm. Install an after market cooler ASAP and when doing solenoids (especialy 1-2) install a corvet one.

the best thing you can do for any auto tranny is install an after market trans cooler

the biger the better but how you position the cooler is very important

if installing the cooler horazonal the in line needs to be on the pottom

the best way to insure the cooler stays fiull is to install the cooler with lines on the top but this is not alwayys posible

you want to keep as much fluid in the cooler as posible at all times

OEM tranny coolers beside being already heating the fluid to 220f already hold far less then realy needed to maintain a cool runing auto tranny