Recommended rear end gear oil?

sleeper tsi

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80029

Rear axle: 2.7 pints of GL-5 gear oil WITH added "friction modifier" for cars with the limited slip differential (LSD) (there is a warning sticker on the door jam of LSD equipped cars that warns about jacking only one rear wheel up and then running the engine). Mitsu dealers sell a one gallon can of pre-mixed stuff that is great... but pricey too. Chrysler dealers sell "MOPAR Hypoid Gear Lubricant" (part no 4318058) plus the friction modifier (part no. 4318060)

I personally have only used Sta-Lube GL-5 Gear Oil (Compatible with Limited-Slip Differentials) in my 1987 ESIR Limited-Slip Differential since 1989. Never had to replace or repaired my rear end ;) Stock off the boat!!! And, the tires still catch on wet corners straightening the car out. 152,000 miles on the car....That tells me this: You really don't need Mitsubishi Genuine Gear Oil Part no. 8149630EX. Proof is from 24 years of driving this Limited-Slip ESIR for 120,000 miles using only Sta-Lube GL-5 80wt Gear Oil. ;) Limited-Slip additive?.......They just want your money :lol:

" I don't mind getting screwed if I get something out of it, If I don't....I'm not a happy camper"

Paying a astronomical price for LSD additive you don't really need........Well, you decide :D

In the end...Read the FSM............. It says: Mitsubishi Genuine Gear Oil Part No.8149630EX....or EQUIVALENT!!!! Get it. Mitsubishi is wanting you to believe that you can only use part no. 8149630EX. When in reality, you could use a equivalent. This is why I used the EQUIVALENT!!!! Instead of paying for a rear differential additive from Mitsubishi that I really didn't need ;) Equivalent doesn't mean the same thing. It only means that the product has the same properties as the other. If Mitsubishis LSD Differential gear oil is the same (equivilent) to Sta-Lubes GL-5 80wt Gear Oil. Then, those members who professed to using only Mitsubishi Diaqueen Gear oil were WRONG!!!! To those I say......READ THE FSM.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Limited slip additives are for fiber clutch plates. SQs have small metal clutch plates so the additive is not needed.

On fiber LSD setups straight gear oil will make them slip too much rendering the LSD useless. The additive is a friction modifier that allows the fiber clutches to do their job.

Another vote for Sta-Lube GL-5 Gear Oil. I have Amsoil in there right now from the extra i bough to put in my rebuilt 5-speed. Everything else i had sta-lube in. Even my 4x4 has it in the transfer case and 5 speed.

There is a test where Royal purple gear oil failed against some others so i went with Amsoil.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124098&hl=amsoil&do=findComment&comment=1208230

http://www.syntheticharleyoil.com/gearoilcomparisontest.html

Conquest LSD uses fiber and steel plates

the actual job of the adative is to coat all plates to stop metal to metal rubing , you know that shutter hopping and jumping as you turn a tight corner

need'd or not need'd useing the adative deff won't hurt any thing ,,but if it don't stink to high heaven it's no good