Reduce body roll without going lower?

tankbob

Since my Starion is my DD and I already have to watch out for my airdam at stock height I dont really want to go any lower but there is just too much body roll in corners right now for me to want to add power. I rebuilt my front suspension maybe 2 months ago and there isnt much play in the steering(never took my car out to the canyons with how bad my steering was before so I cant remember bodyroll). Car is sitting on SHP struts/shocks and the dial is set at 6, I plan on trying out 8 but I dont see that fixing my problem since 2 ticks isnt a whole lot.

Would some mk1 strut bars, sway bars, and tension rods do me good? Or maybe some aftermarket shocks with little to no lowering?

Something was said about running tires at higher pressure? Running them at high pressure means they wont roll as much but you compromise traction, Its better to have a bit of body roll than have have a starion/or conquest that slides out easier. Also, the body roll we are talking about is caused by suspension.

Adjust tire pressure for wear/traction. Adjust suspension for body roll.

If you could find those EOM mitsibish spring boosters that would help. MB430789

Also, good tires inflated to the upper edge of p.s.i. rating.

Turborusty

Actually opposite is true as far as "good tires" becuase a stickier tire is the less is will lose grip and the body will roll more. But body roll is feedback the driver can feel. Tire slip not as much or at least not as manageable.

Stiffer shocks and springs.

-Robert

Best answer.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

I'd suggested coilovers first. I have driven with no front sway with mookeh coils and didn't notice a big difference when I added the 21mm suspension techniques swaybar.

Thats funny i ran my car with no front swaybar for a while back and forth to work and barely noticed. I did notice when it went back in though.

On thing that has not been said is...... Get rid of any and all weight you can. Less weight = less force = less roll going around the turns. Also droping weight as lown and as centered as possible.

some people have no idea what a sway bar is for (stablizer bar ) SHP use'd diff number sway bars

and if changeing numbers on the strut didn't make any differance,,they would not have put them on the struts ;) try going with 10 or highest seting

some people have no idea what a sway bar is for (stablizer bar ) SHP use'd diff number sway bars

and if changeing numbers on the strut didn't make any differance,,they would not have put them on the struts ;) try going with 10 or highest seting

They put lots of FLUF things on cars for years (econ buttons, sports buttons, buttons on buttons). It's nothing like say a new M3 and putting it in race mode, where it changes everything about the car even the chassy itself. Even putting them on 10 is not going to be mouth guard wareing levels, even when factory new. The SHP springs are way to soft IMHO and that dial does nothing for changing your spring rate just your rebound rate, but do you really want to compramise ride for performance is the question. For me, im cool with needing a back rub after a 30 min drive, and having to ware a mouth guard, for all out performace... For some that might be unacceptable, in particular if it's not just a fun toy car and is your driver car. Sway bars just transfer the force accross so when one is being pushed down it's trying to push the other side down flattening the forces across both wheels. Even good poly mounts on the bars helps allot... both center mounts and endlink mounts. Also make sure to use the right size spacers on the endlinks.

Edited by jszucs

yes sway bars only work if they are securely mount'd , an inch or so of give on each side translates into very poor performance \

over all , and they have no effect what ever when both tires are going the same direction like up and down ,

only side to side motion

as does under inflate'd tires

yes sway bars only work if they are securely mount'd , an inch or so of give on each side translates into very poor performance \

over all , and they have no effect what ever when both tires are going the same direction like up and down ,

only side to side motion

as does under inflate'd tires

In a corner both tires are not going the same way (up and down wise) The inside tire is being lifted and the outside tire is being pushed down (body roll) The bars are pushing against that by translating the force back from the tire being pushed down on the outside to the tire on the inside. Is what I was poorly wording before.

SHPs did not use a different sway bar. Save up the money and buy coilovers because there aren't any performance springs that aren't lowering and there aren't any performance struts period. Coilovers will give you almost unlimited choices for ride height and stiffness and will probably only cost a few hundred more than the springs/struts that don't exist.

SHPs did not use a different sway bar. Save up the money and buy coilovers because there aren't any performance springs that aren't lowering and there aren't any performance struts period. Coilovers will give you almost unlimited choices for ride height and stiffness and will probably only cost a few hundred more than the springs/struts that don't exist.

you can also fab your own set-up. you dont have to run starquest specific coil-kits