How Many of You Have Power Steering? (Rant Inside)

nfelge

Hello SQC,

I have been in a battle with my power steering system since day one. This is just a peek at what I have been dealing with (hopefully I'm not alone).

Yesterday, I just finished putting my car back together, and was about to take it for a spin for the first time. I crank the wheel to get out of the garage and *pop*. White smoke and the odor of ATF are plentiful. One of the hoses slipped off a fitting (this hose was double clamped, may I add). I took the fitting, flared the end (it was smooth, that's why it slipped off), double clamped it, and threw it back together. I started it up, was cranking the wheel to get the system circulated. It was going well, until a really loud *pop*, same as last time. The hose burst. The pressure rated power steering hose burst. Emphasis on burst. I couldn't believe it (well, actually I could. I just didn't want to).

I ended up ordering a replacement P/S pressure line from Autozone ($30, why didn't I just do this in the first place?). I can't wait to get more scars while attempting to disconnect/reconnect the line from the P/S box.

Anyways, the title says it all, how many of you still have your power steering system?

Edited by nfelge

Our cars have ours still, and other than a pump developing a ;leak and needing replaced, I haven't had any problems.

I wonder if your car has another issue with the power steering causing it to build too much pressure? Not sure if that is possible, as I'm not much of a mechanic, but it seems that maybe something else is causing it to burst lines or blow out double crimped connections.

Your RETURN line burst?? Lol... you sure it wasn't the pressure side?? If it was it should NOT be clamped, but crimped. Sounds someone ghetto fixed it with regular hose and clamps. Lucky that didn't make your steering get tough unexpectedly and make you crash.

-Robert

Still got mine! I agree with Robert though. They're supposed to be crimped...not clamped. Btw Burton, if it's only a leak then you can rebuild it easily. Not hard at all and a TON cheaper than a new pump. I wrote a thread on it a while ago after one member asked about it :)

- Charles

no power steering here, not really by choice though. My steering box and coupler need to be replaced since I have about half a turn of slop in my steering wheel. I decided to not bother with trying to make the power steering system work until I replace the box or make a full manual system work right.

Shortly after I finished my MPI and engine bay dress up I got the steering box rebuilt. I wanted to bleed the box per the FSM. So I opened the bleeder and ran a tube from the bleeder to the PS resivour. Started the car and turned the wheel slowly. The bleed tube shot out of the PS resivour and showered my engine bay and garage with ATF. It looked like someone stabbed my engine. After a bunch of curse words I pushed the car out of the garage and washed the engine with soap and water.

Still got mine! I agree with Robert though. They're supposed to be crimped...not clamped. Btw Burton, if it's only a leak then you can rebuild it easily. Not hard at all and a TON cheaper than a new pump. I wrote a thread on it a while ago after one member asked about it :)

- Charles

Well, I ended up having another pump off a parts car so it didn't cost me anything to swap another one on there. However, if I knew they were easily rebuildable, I probably wouldn't have thrown away the "bad" one. Oh well, live and learn.

I've thought about canning the power steering system... every day my car becomes less streetable so it seems to make sense. ;)

My only real complaint is that the stock valving in the power steering pump can limit just how fast you can turn the steering wheel. When operating the engine above 4000 rpm, the "speed sensitive valving" reduces pressure and/or flow and makes the steering feel like the power steering belt jumped off. I've never encountered this on the street, but it's pretty common when I autocross.

So far I've been torn between trying to convert the car to a rack and pinion, or take a spare steering box, weld the valve assembly solid (to reduce backlash) and remove the power steering system.

Well, I ended up having another pump off a parts car so it didn't cost me anything to swap another one on there. However, if I knew they were easily rebuildable, I probably wouldn't have thrown away the "bad" one. Oh well, live and learn.

You'll know better next time :P It'll definitely save a dime and a half.

- Charles

How many already where there before you and couldn't tighten up a flared tin tube and not mash it until its CUT by over tightening and you blame the car for having steering. It won't last forever and it can only be tighten so many times then it must be replaced. Humm, a high pressure hydraulic system that gets air in it and when you fill it back up sometimes it pukes.

any car thats been on the road for over 20 yrs ,it'd be safe to asume some maintiance would be need'd in most sytems , includeing 20 yr old high pressure hoses

almost any hydrolic hose repair company can replace the flex hyd hose part of the metal line

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Fitted OEM pressure line last weekend. No more P/S problems (for now :ph34r: ). I'm kicking myself in the butt for doing this earlier, I could have saved myself so much time (and heartbreak).

Sooo, lesson learned: always check online for a replacement part first, it could be way cheaper than you think.