Anyone have collector car insurance on their starquests?

TexasQuest

I have on my 88 through jc taylor but they do limit your driving to 3 to 5k miles a year.But it is low and is

actual cash value of what you place the car at.My is at 4500.00 for 88.00 a year for full coverage.

I do, American Collectors Insurance on one of them. Benefits would be cost, it's pretty cheap for full-coverage insurance. However, you can only drive about 2500 to 3500 miles a year. So if you have a DD, it's not very practical. If you own multiple cars, might be a good option.

Yea. I have mine at hagerty. It's under modified. Covered for 20k without any limitations on mileage and no deductible.

Also you choose the value you want to be insured for. I pay about 470ish for the full year.

Only thing is, you need to have a dd and a garage. They are getting more strict tho.

They woulnt insure my mighty max cause I told them its gonna be in the driveway:(

I have GRUNDY insurance on mine---no mileage restrictions but u must have a registered vehicle for every liscensed driver in ur household---$10,000 value/$164.00 PER YEAR---

GIG OUT

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

Hagerty on all my toys. Honestly they are picky but from what I have seen they are one of the best.

The have to have a daily driver with them is kidna a moot point as by the time you really need to have it, you are not really thinking of daily driving what there insuring.

Hagerty also here. Must have a enclosed garage to park your car, must have another car that is being used as a daily driver insured by someone else, milage and use limitations but price of car is agreed upon so if your car is a total loss you know exactly what you are getting and there is no deductable.

How old does the car have to be to be insured as a collector? Or is it production numbers or some other combination? I've got an 89 which I plan on using for 5-8k miles a year once it's running reliably etc so i can't have mileage restrictions below 10,000. I'm just paying almost 100 a month for a car thats only worth 2500 at best to allstate which is pretty ridiculous.

Collector and Classic are different, I believe. I have collector from American Standard (USAA). You have to provide a price list of the modifications to the car and pictures if you want to insure it above a standard bluebook value for the car. Have to have a DD, garage (though they dont verify it), and good driving record for ALL people in household, regardless if they will drive or not. By good record, I mean at least 5 years exp with zero tickets or 10+ years exp with no more than one ticket. Costs me just over 200/yr, no mileage limit. Can get extra insurance to protect your car to/from car shows (like meet in mesquite!), etc...

Honestly, I only use it because I dont have to do emissions inspections in AZ if I have collector insurance. I also pay for full coverage insurance on the car and would use it if I actually needed to make a claim, I think.

• 3 years later...

Rise of the dead thread.

How's everybody doing with their agreed upon value insurance? I'm finally planning on getting my SQ back on the road after being down the first 3.5 years I've owned it. What has changed since this thread was started in 2012?

I live in the city with no driveways and few garages. Mostly street parking. Have been thinking about a garage spot since I'm getting this thing painted. If my first quote from JCTaylor was any indicator, I could pretty much break even taking my Miata off the road and renting a spot in a garage. Friend also has a garage if I had to list a garage that I *could* use if I just need to give them an address.

That brings up another thing, do they all require some primary automobile? My primary transportation is my bike. I commute to work on it, grocery shop on it, go to bars on it. I drive my car maybe 80 miles a month currently compared to about 100 I put on my bike and that's mainly to drive to work on the SQ. Would be nice to if there was a company that would understand that my SQ would be a second vehicle to my bike.

You can get "garaged" insurance. Super low monthly rate but very limited in terms of mileage it can be driven. My boss did this with his Porsche 911.

I have full coverage on my Quest. Im 29 almost 30 with no accidents or tickets and pay 65-70 monthly for it. After I paint the car I will be going back to my insurance company to revalue it. In order to do that I have to pay an appraiser to come out, inspect the whole thing and calculate the value before I go back to my insurance company.