Here's to NASCAR.

Caliber308

My offer still stands, My car for yours, that I can and will prove I am what I say I am.

As for your comments about me not talking to the drivers about what they think of the racing. You presume to know what conversations I had with what drivers after the race last Saturday night

BC_99

Show us.By making a video of you giving advice to the drivers ;) P.S. I'd much rather race you for pink slips. What i'll do with another Starquest.....Who knows? You chose to jump on the band wagon along with others in Chat one night to slam me. Well, what goes around comes around. You can always show proof of drivers discontent about the new car configuration.....Get them to go on the record in front of YOUR camera.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

LOL, You just dont get it, and I cant explain it to you. You have to work in the sport to understand that what you ask isnt realistic. I do know a couple of drivers that probably would do what you're aking, but I cant ask them to put their livelyhoods at risk to appease or prove a point to Bill the meat guy in MT. So, what else? Have you asked around enough? There are certainly 2 members here that will attest to what I say, maybe you should try using the search.... :D

So, like I said, bring the pink slip and money for a plane ticket and I will be happy to prove it to you first hand, if you have the guts to put your money where your mouth is. Oh and wash it and fill it with gas when you get to town also. I like my new cars clean and ready to drive. B)

BC_99

edit: BTW I didnt jump on any bandwagon, I told you that night that you are full of it and didnt know what you were talking about, ie.. you are were ignorant of the subject being discussed and should just be quiet. Several others also decided to call you out on your illogical ramblings, and you took it as bandwagon slamming. That and all the other times people have said the same thing should point to the obvious conclusion, that you refuse to see.

Edited by BC_99

Not sure if it is still the case but when they started turning 9500 rpms the piston speed surpassed.what the thought was possible. And if i recall passed F1 in that department. Don't quote me on that but i will try to dig up a link.

Passed F1 in what matter exactly? F1 motors have been reving well above 10,000, and closer to 20,000 for years

This is turning into a fight between someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who doesn't.

Britt (BC_99), has more experience on this subject than anyone else here. If he says the teams aren't happy I believe him.

Passed F1 in what matter exactly? F1 motors have been reving well above 10,000, and closer to 20,000 for years

You are correct about that, the small displacement F-1 engines have been turning 14k to 16k rpms for a long time. I think the Indy cars and even the past Champ cars were turning well over 10k rpms also. That being said, the stock car engines are still pretty respectable turning 8600-9600 rpms with a push rod 358 cid engine. The switch from leaded race fuel to unleaded and then to ethanol based racing fuel have all been easy enough to deal with, but the switch to EFI is kind of strange. Im sure there are plenty of less than a year old MSD boxes and coils for sale in this area super cheap now. :)

BC_99

This is turning into a fight between someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who doesn't.

Britt (BC_99), has more experience on this subject than anyone else here. If he says the teams aren't happy I believe him.

well thanks,

The teams arent happy mainly because the cars cant get away from each other. Sure it makes for exciting racing to watch from a fans perspective, but when you have 1000's of man hours tied up in cars that cost over $200k each to build, it sucks watching them get destroyed so easily, because of the rules. The drivers hate the fact that the cars are running so hot that they cant stay tucked into a tandem draft for longer than a lap without fear of grenading the engine. Therefore they cant get away from the pack and when its that many cars in that tight of a pack, its just a matter of time before someone gets too close and all heck breaks loose. It can cost a great driver to start the season in a deep hole in the points standings.

Sure, its fun to watch, until you are sitting there like Kurt Busch's new team Pheonix Racing, with 2 completely destroyed race cars and you havent even gotten to the big race yet. They stand the chance of wrecking 4 or 5 cars by the time they leave Daytona. He got caught in a wreck in practice Friday night, wrecked another one Saturday in the shootout, could likely get wrecked in tomorrows Gatorade duel qualifying races, and if he wrecks again in 500 practice...then what? He hasnt even taken the green flag for the Daytona 500 yet and could be down 4 cars, but at least 2 for sure. That is a small single car team that is already around $400k in the hole for one track and could very well be $800k-$1m in the hole by Sunday night.. The fans just dont realize the costs involved, and the sanctioning body doesnt seem to care. Thats why I and most teams arent happy with what is happening right now.

Longer stroke means greater piston speed i think? That why short stroke engine can rev higher with out breaking the rods. Piston speed and rpm are different things.

Oh ok, I re read that and see what you are saying. I havent looked into the piston speed differences. I was speaking strictly about rpms.

BC_99

You are correct about that, the small displacement F-1 engines have been turning 14k to 16k rpms for a long time. :)

BC_99

Formula One changed to a smaller V-8 engine in 2006. From 1995 to 2005 they ran V-10 engines. 1989 to 1994 they ran V-12s. The power came from the cylinder head design to enable them to run such high RPMs.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Formula One changed to a smaller V-8 engine in 2006. From 1995 to 2005 they ran V-10 engines. 1989 to 1994 they ran V-12s. The power came from the cylinder head design to enable them to run such high RPMs.

Bill

I don't know, I would consider a 3.0L V10 a small(ish) displacement motor

Bill

Thanks for stating the same thing I said Bill, Your kinda like that phone commercial.. so ____seconds ago.

BC_99

The drivers hate the fact that the cars are running so hot that they cant stay tucked into a tandem draft for longer than a lap without fear of grenading the engine.

Good. Now we are back to "Old School" racing.

Bill

Thanks for stating the same thing I said Bill, Your kinda like that phone commercial.. so ____seconds ago.

BC_99

Funny. My post doesn't look anything like any comment you have made in this whole thread ;)

Bill

Cal and BC, please take it to PMs.

Not wanting to seem like I'm taking sides in this discussion but Britt obtained pit and garage passes for me and my wife for a Nationwide race in ATL. We spent the entire day with him, the team, and the driver. We talked with the crew and the driver, who was Trevor Bayne; this was a few months before he won the Daytona 500. They all made us feel like part of the team. We watched qualifying from pit road for both the Nationwide and Cup races. It is a well-oiled operation that requires a lot of hard work and physical stamina. Prior to qualifying the pit crew did all the prep work on pit road, there is a lot of pre-race prep going on. My wife and I had a great experience and a lasting memory of a good day.

Here is a pic of Britt and me sitting on the back wall of pit road.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9662/brittandjimmy.jpg

My wife and the car Kyle Busch drives:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2113/029uw.jpg

Pick up a copy of Racecar Engineering. They usually touch on the NASCAR tech here and there right between the F1 and ALMS tech. The technology in a current NASCAR is pretty world class and anyone involve in these cars should be proud. Its much harder to eek out a win when you're so limited by the rule book. It involves precise knowledge and control of what you have to work with.

For example, until the Car of Tomorrow came out, teams would have different chassis for most tracks. One detail was that the car's body work was different one side compared to the other. They were designed to act as an air foil (look down from the top) in order to aerodynamically pull them around a turn. If that's not high tech, I don't know what is.

I mean they've even gone as far as testing cars in secret underground tunnels rather than a rolling road in a wind tunnel to get data on the aerodynamics that couldn't be gotten in simulation / wind tunnels: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/nascar/the-secrets-of-laurel-hill/

The switch from carbs to EFI this year is simply a marketing point as is E85. NASCAR (as well as all other series) are trying to appear more green to fans and sponsors. I doubt you could find a more perfectly tuned carburetor on the planet than in NASCAR and the move to EFI will effect air / fuel very minimally.

Yeah, I was gonna say why EFI? Those NASCAR guys are downright nerdy when it comes to race engineering and tuning. I really liked the fact that despite the changes in car tech, NASCAR still uses carbs.

Most of us have. I clue how long those guys spend tuning those carbs to the perfect set up they desire. I think that is rather awesome and I'm sure very difficult.

Did anyone notice if the cars got slower?

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!!!

I've seen what BC does on race weekend first hand and have talked to him a lot about what he does the rest of the year. Anybody here not directly working in NASCAR who thinks they know more about what goes on than him has been sniffing glue. Period.

Oh, and I got the same treatment as Jimmy when I went to a Nationwide race at Texas. BC is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet, and it was by far the coolest NASCAR experience of my life. Nothing like watching a race from the pits...

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/11-05-10_001.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/11-05-10_019.jpg

Edited by Burton

I like Nascar...but...I can't sit and watch the whole thing...kinda like football...lol I watch the beginning and the end.

But...the thing that upsets me about it...and I know...safety reasons, etc...

But, its National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Used to be what wins on Sunday sells on Monday...no longer is that anywhere near true.

In the 60s/70s...even the 80s were still kinda this way, there were real cars on the track, cars that actually looked like the real ones. These new cars with stickers for grilles and headlights just kills it for me.

Its just cool watching the old races knowing that, that is indeed a Dodge Charger Daytona with an actual Chrysler built engine in it. Of course, the teams made all their own modifications, but, the core was all from an actual car that could be bought. It was a battle of the car companies...the Dodge Daytona is a perfect example...a car built for NASCAR...but they had to make at least 500 examples for the street so they could be used. And, guess what, Dodge's engineering with that car made them win...so badly that Nascar kept restricting them til they quit out. After that...it all just went down hill.

Also...the excitement of all the cheating made it interesting too....driver's with removable floor pans adjusting the torsion bars as the drove...stuff like that kept it interesting. :P

Oh...then the entrance of Toyota...that made it worse.

But, tell me what parts of a modern Nascar is actually from the real car. Can I go buy a V8, RWD Camry?

Didn't think so.

Edited by strang3majik
  • Like 1

way better forms of motorsport around that dont get the coverage Neckcar gets.

...is your opinion. Now if the majority of people held the same opinion, then there'd be some other form of motorsport getting tons of coverage, and we'd probably be arguing about that one instead.

It's simple. A large fan base watches NASCAR. That fan base spends lots of money on going to races and other NASCAR related stuff, and drives up viewership ratings, which gets sponsors paying money to media outlets to advertise during these events. If F1 had the fan base size and viewership numbers as NASCAR, then the sponsors would target that motorsport and all we'd see on SPEED TV is F1 stuff. The majority of people spending money on, watching or going to any motorsport are into NASCAR. When the majority of people like F1 and that's where the money is, then you'll see less and less NASCAR and more F1. Sorry you're not in the majority.

Honestly, I think the majority will lay with NASCAR for a long time to come. It's not only the largest and fastest growing motorsport, but if I'm not mistaken, it recently surpassed NFL football the largest and fastest growing sport in general.

It's all about the Benjamins. When NASCAR fans quit spending mass quantities of cashola, then we'll be watching the next motorsport that's able to generate more.

Edited by Burton

I like Nascar...but...I can't sit and watch the whole thing...kinda like football...lol I watch the beginning and the end.

But...the thing that upsets me about it...and I know...safety reasons, etc...

But, its National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Used to be what wins on Sunday sells on Monday...no longer is that anywhere near true.

In the 60s/70s...even the 80s were still kinda this way, there were real cars on the track, cars that actually looked like the real ones. These new cars with stickers for grilles and headlights just kills it for me.

Its just cool watching the old races knowing that, that is indeed a Dodge Charger Daytona with an actual Chrysler built engine in it. Of course, the teams made all their own modifications, but, the core was all from an actual car that could be bought. It was a battle of the car companies...the Dodge Daytona is a perfect example...a car built for NASCAR...but they had to make at least 500 examples for the street so they could be used. And, guess what, Dodge's engineering with that car made them win...so badly that Nascar kept restricting them til they quit out. After that...it all just went down hill.

Also...the excitement of all the cheating made it interesting too....driver's with removable floor pans adjusting the torsion bars as the drove...stuff like that kept it interesting. :P

Oh...then the entrance of Toyota...that made it worse.

But, tell me what parts of a modern Nascar is actually from the real car. Can I go buy a V8, RWD Camry?

Didn't think so.

You are so right on point with your analysis. I couldn't have said it any better. They call these cars stock cars but they share absolutely nothing with their road going versions.