Lasik eye surgery, Have you or anyone you know had it done?

Ironside

Ironside,

I had it done, gosh, almost 7 years ago now, maybe more. It was the best 3K I ever spent. Where can you spend money on something that you appreciate every day, all day, as long as your eyes are open. I highly recommend it. I did quite a bit of research and found the very best place locally which, at that time, had the newest and greatest gear (which is probably old by now). But I did my homework, decided the risk was worth taking (failures are pretty low) and haven't been happier since. It's not only that you don't have to wear contacts or glasses, it's that your sight is so much better.

Glasses are the worst correction because they are farthest away from your eye. Then soft contacts, which are still very good because they are closer, but they conform to your eye for comfort, then hard contacts, or gas permeables. That is what I wore for about 15 years, but many people can't wear them because they can't get used to them. I did, and thought they were good. Because they are rigid, they can provide better correction than contacts or glasses.

Then you go to Lasik, and there was no comparison. I have 20/15 vision and I swear, if there was a 20/10 line I could read that too. My vision is razor sharp, no halos at night around headlights. It's just very good.

Obviously, with any surgery there is risk. Like anything, just do your homework, find a place that you trust, even if it's four hours away, and then go for it. You won't regret it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Blessings brother,

Lance

My mom and dad both have had it done and they are 86. Mom really does't even need glasses any longer but since she always had them she got some that do nearly nothing, cause she looked so wierd without them. I think its like 90 seconds each eye and they didn't do both the same day. I might be wrong but it was no big deal and I know plenty that have had it done.

Thanks for the responses.

I've been researching it for a couple hours.

From what I have read so far about a five percent risk involved.

Need to start looking for a Doctor and his experience.

I like wearing glasses just because they can keep dirt out of your eyes but I'm near sighted so unless I'm driving I don't use them. Get some safety glasses. I tired contacts a few times but I didn't like having to clean them and I tried the throw away kind I thought they sucked.

My mother had it done many years ago and said it was the best money she ever spent. She'd been wearing contacts since she was 9 or 10 so after 40 yearsof fussin with contacts and solutions ect, she said not having to spend the extra time worrying about that stuff or making sure she had it with her at all times was worth it. Not to mention she has perfect eyesight now.

BC_99

I had it done by a cornea transplant surgeon, their the guys they send folks when the lasik factories screw up... So I went with the best and I still have 20/25 vision 9 years later.... Dood buying sunglasses is a joy now because dont have to worry about corrective lenses..

I recommend a cornea transplant surgeon they cost a little more but are far better imo...

The surgery was quick and painless... Do it on a friday morning so you can sleep the numbing drops off and a little nausea you will have from your brain trying to calabrate to the amount of light your retina gets now...

The best memory I had was seeing the pine needles on the trees as I drove by them it was awesome..

The bad part is you will now notice how bad the paint on your car actually is..lol

you will still need reading glasses in the long run. some people complain of star burst with oncoming headlights. for most the outcome is good, i have seen cases where it turns out really bad. take your chances dood. i like my glasses ;) like i tell my patients, it's not that important, it's only your eye sight :lol:

I got lasik done a few years back, and I'm so glad I did it.

I don't have perfect vision, but I no longer have to wear the large lenses I had to wear before. To give you an idea about thick my glasses were, the contacts I would've been able to buy, have only become "soft" contacts in the last 5 or so years, and to add to that, I had horrible astigmatism in both eyes.

I found the right place to go to, that was a proper price given the market, and had the laser process for cutting the corneal flap. Other places in my area at that time had to physically do that portion of the operation. Again, their are drawbacks, but to me, upon explanation by the doctor, I understood all the risks that posed any worries to me, and seen past them.

Again, my vision currently, after the 6 months had passed that the doctor had seen most healing accomplish for his patients, I walked in for a free eye exam, and my vision is 20/25, I'm glasses free. If I did get another prescription for lenses, the Lenses would be probably as thick as cardstock.

As soon as they have successful eye transplants, I'm there.

But until then I'll keep the pair I have.

I had a neighbor who had it done about in 2003 and he told me that he would not have done it if he knew then what he knows now about the physiology of the eye and the natural tendency for them to change shape from environmental factors besides the aging process.

I think technology is great but,

technology suffers from the same effects of the economy as everything else.

I’d wait if you’re not at least around 50 although the healing process slows, don't drink alcohol or smoke anything. Drink enough water and wait for the economy to rebound significantly.

That will give you a better chance that the surgeon his mortgage his stocks and investments his girlfriend his wife his kids and his Porsche mechanic are all not jabbing at him for money and his losses at the country club won't be significantly remorseful to him so he can make the payments to his insurance broker, staff ,office, and surgical instrument maintenance ,and that he won't have to over book clients and farm out his schedule to less experienced fellow surgeons because he has a hangover.

My wife had it done more than 10 years ago and she's glad she did every day. She sees halos around lights at night but her night vision wasn't good to begin with. I actually watched it done sitting in the waiting room...... Everyone is different and the equipment is better today than it was then, just make sure you spend the money to go to a real doctor. We know people that got it done on the cheap and then ended up having to do it again.

Great information everyone.

Looks about to be a 5% chance of not haveing 20/20 vision.

Going to look around in the bigger cities.

Roanoake, Lynchburg, Grensbaro,Winston Salem and a few others.

Looking for a good Doctor in N.C or Va.

thanks for the information...

There are plenty in Charlotte, and you know you will have a place to stay the night after surgery if you need it.

BC_99

Great, thanks Britt.

I will have to bring a case of 12 oz medicine in a can. lol

• 2 weeks later...

I had it done 8 years ago, my wife 7 years ago. Best money I ever spent!

If you are near sighted now, you may not need reading glasses until you are into your 50's... if you get that corrected with lasic you WILL need reading glasses at an earlier age. No way would I go for the "mono-vision" option though (one eye for distance, the other for reading) I am happy with needing weak reading glasses at 41.

Keith

normaly the insurance companys tell you they will NOT pay for devices or units that do not repair or cure a health problem but when it comes to eye sight you bet ya they offer to help pay for glases and NOT the cure

you got a foot problem they will not pay for special shoes only treatment that is a cure,,or partial cure

i have no clue why we alow'd them to get away with this for so long

I appreciate all the replies, helps a lot hearing all the positive that has come out of family members that have gone through the procedure. I guess the only thing that bothers me now is how to look up a reputable LASIK surgeon. I am not the best researching.

I am going to call a few places Monday and see what I can find out.

I just hope I am able, from what I understand your vision is to far out they can't correct it.

Again thanks for the input and information.

Perry.