SOS manuals down again?

Killtodie

not everyone bashes him, as arrogant as he can be, even when he is cranky and seems off his rocker, still not everyone bashes him...

Sometimes I speak in generalities. Sorry :D

Even after all the things i've experienced dealing with P.Q. (Wayne), I still respect and thank him and JustPaus for what they have given to the Starquest community (SOS Manuals). Others just take all Professor Quests hard work and countless hours putting together the SOS Manuals as something they are owed. I don't. Even though they are public property once they are posted.....Let's give a little thanks for having them (SOS Manuals). Sure, you can find this information in the FSMs, but the SOS Manuals are geared towards newer members with pictures included. God knows how many times over the past 10 years that I have read a post in the VM or AVM Forums asking for help that ends like this: "Got any pictures?".

P.S. It takes a hell of a lot of time and work to put something like the SOS Manuals together. Maybe this is why no other member has tried to do it: Chad, want to give it a shot? That is why I said: "Let's give credit where credit is due". If I put together a informative source of information for SQ members and some of them bashed me,or banned me from a SQ site. I would do the same thing P.Q. did : "Screw you too, I'm removing all of my informative postings". Some of you weren't even around back when P.Q. was a VERY active member on SQC. So, your negative comments about him don't mean JACK as far as i'm concerned. After all, you were not a member on SQC at that time.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

thanks PQ, JP, Ciberbob, and a few others I don't recall. Now we can move on....

Agreed, as long as we, as members on SQC show respect towards others.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

So, stupid question here (mainly directed at Komeuppance):

Is any of this copyrighted, trademarked, etc?

That is not the point. Re- posting information that was done (With a lot of personal time and work) by a member in the interest of helping SQ members without permission from the original poster is just plain wrong and unethical. Whether or not it is public property. Show some respect ;) If you get permission from the original poster to do it.....I don't have a problem with you doing it. Doing it without permission, I look at that in our car club situation as plagiarism. ( Coping something others have posted and using that information as your own). Like you posted: "I can put this up on my website and post a link back to here". That is so wrong and unethical. I know this is about the SOS Manuals. Why don't you spend your time and money to create a SOS Manual of your own, instead of trying to post someone elses hard work? It is the same old story on SQC: "Why should i buy or download the FSM when I can just post questions on here and get the answers". Sad. I hate to say this: Sooner or later all the members who just ask questions for only the answers are going to be the only members left on SQC. Those who actually have a copy of the FSM, or have downloaded the FSM and read them will be few and far between. Giving advice from personal experiences with owning one of these cars for a long time is priceless. Not knowing, or just getting the answers to your questions from the VM and AVM is another.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

That is not the point. Re- posting information that was done (With a lot of personal time and work) by a member in the interest of helping SQ members without permission from the original poster is just plain wrong and unethical. Whether or not it is public property. Show some respect ;) If you get permission from the original poster to do it.....I don't have a problem with you doing it. Doing it without permission, I look at that in our car club situation as plagiarism. ( Coping something others have posted and using that information as your own). Like you posted: "I can put this up on my website and post a link back to here". That is so wrong and unethical. I know this is about the SOS Manuals. Why don't you spend your time and money to create a SOS Manual of your own, instead of trying to post someone elses hard work? It is the same old story on SQC: "Why should i buy or download the FSM when I can just post questions on here and get the answers". Sad. I hate to say this: Sooner or later all the members who just ask questions for only the answers are going to be the only members left on SQC. Those who actually have a copy of the FSM, or have downloaded the FSM and read them will be few and far between. Giving advice from personal experiences with owning one of these cars for a long time is priceless. Not knowing, or just getting the answers to your questions from the VM and AVM is another.

Bill

Fine, I'll just forget it then. I'm not trying to screw anybody over, I'm trying to help out a LOT of people in the community. [Removed a personal attack that was somewhat unwarranted.]

I'm not trying to take any credit for the knowledge and information contained in the SOS manuals. I had NOTHING to do with gathering or preparing that information. I just wanted to serve the greater good and make this information available to everyone in a reliable place. I'm merely wanting to mirror what's already on the other forums, but add in the images that are missing. I don't see what the big deal about that is... And for the record, I have neither the time, money or knowledge to duplicate what's in the SOS manual myself, nor, I might add, the desire to do so. That's not my strong point. Web hosting and application development IS my strong point, and that's what I'm trying to do here.

If you can get me in touch with both JustPaus and ProfessorQuest, I'd be happy to ask them for permission, but I have no idea how to contact them. Until then, I'll hold off so as to not be judged "unethical" for the free dissemination of publicly available information.

Edited by riceboyler

this is getting to be too difficult... in the end the goal in mind is to save and restore the information for the generations that come later on. whats the need to be selfish and deprive people who had nothing to do with the prior happenings of this forum?

I say post it anywhere you wish as long as it's seen by others and benefits them (assuming your not claiming to have written it ofc). I know I'll be freely distributing it out to other people in a zip file etc.

As for Caliber308, well he seems to want to keep some kind of drama going, just disregard him lol.

Allen

Edited by speedyquest

Well, I have it on my personal site now, but I need to build an entry page to it that basically explains that I did not create it, nor do I have any claims to ownership, I'm just posting it for others to use and learn from. This is what would be considered an "intellectual property" dispute, and in the very large majority of the cases related to IP, as long as the "distributor" of the IP doesn't benefit financially from the distribution of the IP, there is no fault to be found. In this situation, I'll discover absolutely no financial gain, will actually be sacrificing both time and web space to the project, and will probably try to make it better over time.

That being the case, unless one of the forum moderators or administrators here have a problem with me posting the link, I'll probably go ahead and do so. 12 hours to think on it has provided some clarity. I've always believed that it's better for a community to prosper, even if certain individuals don't get what they want. Call it utilitarianism if you want...

Bill

WOW you might want to quit using the internet, playing vidoe games (if you do), watching any newer movies ect... It's all recycled ideas / info.

Never had a problem with PQ, or really anyone else here. Sure I like to stir the pot but at the end of the day I still love you guys / gals

I also find it hard to beleive that with all the site arciving and site ripping tools that noone ripped a full copy of the site, and / or the maker had intened to "protect" the site from this type of activity as it was publicly posted.

Edited by jszucs

Man I tried that before I will forward the emails he sent me about them....

Wow, what a disaster area. I'm really sorry I even considered working on this. It's obvious that PQ has some serious issues, so I don't even want to bring that crapstorm down on me. If you really want a link to the SOS manuals, PM me and we'll chat. For the record, I have never had any direct dealings with ProfessorQuest, but from the emails that got forwarded to me, it's apparent there's too much history around this whole mess.

Thanks minagera for helping me see what a mess this whole thing really is.

It's the person behind the mess, that is the mess, not the subject itself.

You know the old saying about "getting mad and leaving the sand box, and taking your toys with you"? this is like that, only he can't take his toys with him, and others are trying to play with those toys (the contents of the SOS), so he runs to mommy and cries (calls a lawyer and threatens to sue). There is no legal basis for suing, but that won't stop him from wasting your time/$$ if he tried.

He wants to keep the SOS from you to prove his point (whatever that is). Bringing up this subject every 3-6 months only inflates that ego and stokes that seething fire.

Guys....stop complaining about the lack of the SOS forums and start helping to create new 'how-to' threads!

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=131514

We are putting the tools into place but need your help in populating these new forums. Lets turn this site into a plethora of good doumented information on keeping these cars running good and on the road.

kev

• Like 1

some of you may find this hard to beleave but I-X .net has been arround just as long as SQClub .

true in this day and age nothing lasts for ever or no one knows if it''l be here tomarrow or not , and just because the site don't have all the BS, SQClub has don't mean the info won't be save'd , it's back'd up on atleast 5 or 6 diff computers

if the group here wants to see that info saved, why not just read through the articles and make new how to's based on the origional. It's easy to argue about cut and paste, but there is no copyright nor legal claims to this kind of knowledge. Go through the topics, learn the subject and create your own topic. Almost everything in that SOS can be found in the factory manual, so it's not like he didn't do the same thing. in fact, there are many pictures in the SOS of manual pages, copyright infringement in itself.

That which isn't in the manual can easily be found somewhere else, tips and tricks that many mechanics know. There isn't anything in there that isn't known somewhere else, it's just all formatted for the starquest.

If every interested party took just one topic and made a new one based on the same information, you could totlay replace the whole damn thing in a few weeks, pictures an all.

Personally, I use the manual or search for info here, it has served me well. It worked before the SOS, and will work after the SOS.

• Like 1

If i right click on the missing pictures, than click properties. Most come up with a address like this http://starquest.i-x....php?pic_id=518 But if i click that it say not authorized.

So maybe its is a fixable problem. Can a i-x.net mod still access this address? http://starquest.i-x....php?pic_id=518

The pictures that still show up mostly have pq photo bucket addresses. Like this http://i35.photobuck...20Grd/GR-3A.jpg

Try those first two links. For me i get a message "Not authorized" If they work for you, than log out of your mod account and back in as a regular member and try it again.

Is there a non pubic gallery of pictures?