Have they banned plastic bags in your area?

ucw458

LA county imposed a grocery store plastic bag ban a few months ago. The county couldn't impose this on cities because of their councils but all unincorporated areas withing LA county are subject to this ban. My town happens to be unincorporated so my grocery store has no plastic bags. They have paper bags but now they charge $0.10 per bag. So I have to keep bags in my car just incase I go to the grocery store.

The really stupid part is the ban only affects grocery stores. All the other stores in my town still have plastic bags and don't charge you for them. So basically LA county just made it a hassle to buy food. Such a dumb idea.

Have they imposed similar bans in your area?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I heard about this coming like a year back. Some grocery stores do it in PA too. But when I was a bagger guy it was a total pain in the arse to put groceries in cloth bags when theres plastic right there :lol:

Its the global warming morons at it again.... To make plastic bags causes polution bla bla bla.. They got idea from the european church of global warming.....they banned bags years back.... I think they should put a plastic bag on their heads breath deep and contemplate it for an hour or so...

. So basically LA county just made it a hassle to buy food. Such a dumb idea.

this is the kind of delusion people living in this modern world have. Imagine 100 years ago, you had to grow your own food, kill your own livestock for meat, take water from a well. Now people are complaining about not having plastic bags because it inconveniences them too much.

Keep some paper bags in your car, and reuse them....or use some cloth bags.....just quit crying about it already.

if you look a little deeper you'l see the real reson,,an excuse to charge you more ;)

more? you mean at all?

why should the supermarkets give the bags away for free anyways? they have to pay for them, why shouldnt the customers?

Here in greece, you pay for the bags....you dont hear people whining about it....

we also pay almost 10 dollars a gallon for gas too ;)

Sure the grocery stores gotta buy them too, but they also had to buy the groceries that they just made a profit on so why not give a 1 cent bag away for free?

Sure they don't have to, just like banks don't have to give you free checking or free ATM fees, but they do to keep people using their banks rather than have them take their money elsewhere.

It doesn't matter to me. I buy most my food at Costco and they pack all their stuff in empty boxes from the product on their shelves. It works better than bags, I think. Carry in a couple 30lb boxes, or make 15 trips out to the car for little plastic bags that will probably rip and let your milk crash to the ground anyway.

Sure the grocery stores gotta buy them too, but they also had to buy the groceries that they just made a profit on so why not give a 1 cent bag away for free?

just 1 cents a bag...but consider all the chains the supermarket owns, and the amount of bags they give away for free. 1 cent a bag can add up....

its a great idea, too bad they cant ban them everywhere. paper bags are easier to recycle.

i take it from most of your uneducated comments that most wouldnt care if they lived near or even on a landfill.

there is only one planet, it now has to sustain 7 billion morons. you cant do your part? sad.

this is the kind of delusion people living in this modern world have. Imagine 100 years ago, you had to grow your own food, kill your own livestock for meat, take water from a well. Now people are complaining about not having plastic bags because it inconveniences them too much.

Keep some paper bags in your car, and reuse them....or use some cloth bags.....just quit crying about it already.

I'm glad you feel so superior than the rest of us. It makes judging us so much easier doesn't it.

just 1 cents a bag...but consider all the chains the supermarket owns, and the amount of bags they give away for free. 1 cent a bag can add up....

I'm not saying it doesn't add up, but if the store made $2 profit on what's in the bag, there's no big loss in 1 cent. If I were a store owner, and I could give my customers more convinience and all it cost me was a few cents per purchase, I'd be making things convinient for my customers.

Not that I agree with plastic bags as they aren't good for the environment. I'm just speaking on the principal of trying to provide good customer service.

One of the issues with canvas or any other reusable bag is the risk of contamination and poisoning from any blood that have leaked out when you previously used the bag and bought meat. The following is from a write-up on them:

Researchers at the University of Arizona tested the reusable grocery bags of consumers in Tucson AZ, Los Angeles CA, and San Francisco CA. Fifty percent of the bags contained traces of E. coli and salmonella, bacteria that can cause food poisoning in humans.

The bacteria levels found in the bags were significant enough to cause serious health concerns, even death. They are a particular danger to young children, pregnant women, the elderly, and anyone with a depressed immune system.

Previous research has found that as many as 97% of recyclable bag owners do not regularly wash or bleach their bags.

its a great idea, too bad they cant ban them everywhere. paper bags are easier to recycle.

i take it from most of your uneducated comments that most wouldnt care if they lived near or even on a landfill.

there is only one planet, it now has to sustain 7 billion morons. you cant do your part? sad.

Have you see plastic being recycled? I have personally. It is not easier to recycle paper. One machine chops and melts the plastic then extrudes it as plastic pellets in just a couple minutes. Those pellets are used in other machines to make new products.

You have no idea how much we recycle in my house. Claiming I can't do my part is just ignorance on your part.

One of the issues with canvas or any other reusable bag is the risk of contamination and poisoning from any blood that have leaked out when you previously used the bag and bought meat. The following is from a write-up on them:

Good point

A few of you seem to have missed this in my first post.

The really stupid part is the ban only affects grocery stores. All the other stores in my town still have plastic bags and don't charge you for them.

My grocery store doesn't have plastic bags. But if I walk next door to the pharmacy the do have plastic bags. And every other store does too. Don't you think it's a little dumb to just ban them in grocery stores? What purpose does that serve other than to annoy grocery store customers.

did you guys know, about the whole tree thing, the more paper you use the more trees are planted, proven, 2 trees for every 1 taken and it takes more energy to recycle then cut a tree down.

so by using paper bags or paper, you are actually doing good because 2x1 trees planted :)

I try to get plastic bags exclusively. I then reuse them for lunch bags and save them to be reused again and again. It saves me from buying paper lunch bags and I have no use for paper bags other than to hold other folded down paper bags.

Every "solution" seems to generate 3 more problems :(