Have they banned plastic bags in your area?

ucw458

god another one ,that slept thru class , oil didn't come from dino's , oil is way older then dino's and it came from a time when the earth was cover'd with vegitation for billions of years , it's because of this plant growth that we are now able to live on the planet ,they put the 02 in the air so we can breath ,,oil has nothing to do with animal life and never has

as to useing plastics we have to use some thing,, it's more of an education thing then what to use,,

all the super markets i know of have recyle pins at the entrance to the store ,, we need to make use of them

Before your hang your hat on that Shelby, you might wish to see how school has changed in the past 60 years :)

We (humans) dont KNOW where oil came from, we only have several theories. These theories range from biotic (living) to abiotic (non-living) sources, which include dinosaurs, phytoplankton, diatoms ( fossils of which create diatomaceous earth and is used in making toothpaste and dynamite!), plants/veggies, innate deep-earth minerals escaping through Earth's crust, etc... Oil has been artificially made from both biotic and non-biotic origins by scientists, as well. There may well be much more oil in the earth than we think simply because we are not looking in the right spots.

Not sure why I am bothering to post this, other than the "god another one" opening of the post kinda irked me, lol.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as to useing plastics we have to use some thing,, it's more of an education thing then what to use,,

all the super markets i know of have recyle pins at the entrance to the store ,, we need to make use of them

Yeah, in an ideal world, we should all recycle them bags in the proper place and we would not be having this problem.

I say we all go shopping with duffle bags! :lol:

Oh, Shelby may be partialy right, I have been known to sleep thru a class or two, although they were rarely in classes like History or Science, as those were my favorite classes. Some naps may have gone on during some Math and English classes tho, especially if the teacher was boring.

I'm inclined to believe Shelby on this, he may have possibly been alive back then to see it all go down ;)

come on i'm not much older then many of you,, but the sheir volume of crud oil says that animals alone couldn't be resonsible for all of it if any of it at all , but any one thats ever seen a muck farm can relate to vegitation being the scourse of crude oil

Continuing with what Shelby is saying... if you have Nexflix, check out "How the Earth Was Made". It the best series Ive ever seen on the subject.

also if you have the time, watch "walking with dino's " have the kids watch it with you they'l love it

If you look at the root of the matter it is the way society has been shaped. Many were not raised to think, act, or work for themselves. They feel entitled to everything and aren't willing to sacrifice. They were raised selfishly, and ignorantly. They rely on the gov'ment to tell them how to live. Now many will suffer because of their inadequacies. Times are changing, but it will take a few generations to fully realize a better future for all. It only takes a little extra effort to recycle or be less wasteful. It takes slightly more effort to actually give a damn about how your actions affect others... unfortunately the majority are too lazy to do so and bring everyone else down with them.

So yes, you will have to endure the loss of plastic bags because others do not have the capacity to take responsibility for their own actions.

I was recently on a Cali beach, Santa Monica to be exact, and was appalled at all the garbage washing ashore. I've never seen a beach like that in Oregon.

-Robert

On topic, they are pusihng a bill in Corvallis OR banning plastic bags at ALL retailers, not just major Grocery stores. The plastic bag ban has existed in Portland for a little while now, but only at major grocers.

They charge a 5 cent fee for paper bags because they are required to. Think of it the same as our bottle return [which Oregon invented about forty years ago]. forces you to consider re-using the bag, cause you paid for it.

If they implement it where I live, I won't mind. I still get plastic bags, but I also recycle them [our local garbage company has a ton of recycling services, it's very "green"].

As for the "spread of germs on reused bags", aren't we supposed to wash our food and the surfaces they are prepared on anyway? I never take food home and expect it to be sanitary. I always presume whomever stocked it just got done picking their nose, that the person that picked/packaged it just wiped their butt with too little toilet paper, and that some other customer has already sneased on it. Cook the food hot enough ant it won't matter anyway, adequate heat will kill any disease or pathogen.

As for the "spread of germs on reused bags", aren't we supposed to wash our food and the surfaces they are prepared on anyway? I never take food home and expect it to be sanitary. I always presume whomever stocked it just got done picking their nose, that the person that picked/packaged it just wiped their butt with too little toilet paper, and that some other customer has already sneased on it. Cook the food hot enough ant it won't matter anyway, adequate heat will kill any disease or pathogen.

Thank you for that. I didn't need that image. :wacko:

Thank you for that. I didn't need that image. :wacko:

i agree...lol, i just went grocery shopping and washed everything before it went into the fridge. Since im in las vegas i guess i should be seeing this plastic bag ban soon bc they seem to follow some of cali's laws.

come on i'm not much older then many of you,, but the sheir volume of crud oil says that animals alone couldn't be resonsible for all of it if any of it at all , but any one thats ever seen a muck farm can relate to vegitation being the scourse of crude oil

I doubt many would realize the amount of vegetation needed to decay in order to provide a source for crude oil

I'll give you a hint on how the dinosars helped..

what does crude oil's smell remind you of ?

So technically it is part Dino and Vegetation,

they just advanced the decay to lay the ground work so to speak.

I was recently on a Cali beach, Santa Monica to be exact, and was appalled at all the garbage washing ashore. I've never seen a beach like that in Oregon.

-Robert

http://www.healtheba...her-clean-coast

44,000 lbs

They just cleaned it again on the 17th of September.. next time you could schedule your visit after or durring the next clean up ?

44,000 lbs here too it this one take in the spring of this year ???

http://oregon.surfri...-beach-cleanup/

And they had Llamas to help

Haha! Them farm hands live in apalling conditions in the fields, I doubt they even have toilet paper!! :lol: So yes, definately wash all your fruits/ veggies etc.

This is also the reason why I don't like buffets. You have no idea how many hands have touched the serving utensils, how many people sneezed/ coughed all over the food as they serve themselves, or how many dirty mofos used their hands to grab the food and put it back. YUCK!

oil fields are ancient swamps and boggs. There is virtualy no animial mater in oil, it's all 99.9% plant matter, with perhaps a few disolved dead insects and a bone here and there.

Some day much of the swampy south will be an oil field, but we likely won't be here to see/use it, it takes a few hunmdered million years.

http://www.healtheba...her-clean-coast

44,000 lbs

They just cleaned it again on the 17th of September.. next time you could schedule your visit after or durring the next clean up ?

44,000 lbs here too it this one take in the spring of this year ???

http://oregon.surfri...-beach-cleanup/

And they had Llamas to help

Here when they clean it up, it's acually clean when theyare done. I've participated in a few of those cleanups, a lot of what is picked up was dumped by ships at sea. Their garbage can is over the side of the ship in that big blue thing we call the Pacific.

I have seen several cali beaches that were very clean, some in polulated areas, others the were more remote. Probalby depends a lot on tide/current events and time of year.

Have they banned plastic bags in your area?

Not up this way, not as far as I know anyways. We just went grocery shopping the other night and got a whole pile of plastic bags. We don't get charged for taking/using them either.

I generally save them to use as garbage bags in small wastebaskets and also as bags to keep my dirty clothes in when I go away for the weekend.

lol some must think dino's laid arround simply roting on the ground ,, let me ask you this how many dead animals have you came across in the forest , none,,maybe a couple bones here and there but thats about the extent of it :)

dino's ate dino's simple as that ,,it's rare indeed to find one complete

All I know is I'd hate being the one that had to clean up the pool back then.

You think they had designated areas , or little Dino cowboys to help them out..?

Do You know how many pounds of plankton a blue whale can eat a day (2,000-9,000 pounds)

or an elephant can eat ( 330-375 lb) of vegetation a day

Double or triple that maybe even quadripple considering the elephants diet and maybe twice that if they had some young to feed

No wonder some ate the others it was just a concentrated vegi patty like lobsters full of iodine because they gourge on urchines that eat the kelp..

And some people swim it that ocean...

WC Fields said that was the reason he didn't drink water because fish _ _ _ _ _ in it!

Or I guess I should digest that thought for some and just say...

Plants end up eatting everything because they're on the bottom of the food chain.

"Burp"

Edited by Metric-man

I generally save them to use as garbage bags in small wastebaskets and also as bags to keep my dirty clothes in when I go away for the weekend.

They also work good for packing filler if you have enough. We usually get 25 or 30 bags a week and I stuff them into a full siZe trash bag. After a while we have more than we can get rid of by other uses like wastebasket and litter box liners, so I'll use a bunch of them to stuff in boxes of things I'm shipping. They have to be wadded up pretty tight to be good protection, but if you have enough of them they work great.

Oh, and you guys RAWK. Only here could a debate about plastic bags turn into a debate about dinosaurs. Now, let's see if you guys will go for the trifecta and start debating about debate.