Need some help

TSiGuy17

depending on how deep (cant see pic at work) I had luck putting a set of needle nose plyers inside and turning with a screwdriver though the handle. hope nothing falls inside.

I don't understand....the threadedpart came out, right?

And it's not a diesel?

Turborusty

Right, the threaded sleeve part came out.. The inside portion of the spark plug is still in there

http://www.auto-facts.org/images/2004-ford-150-spark-plugs-21293724.jpg

-Ryan

Ha, when they make a special tool for this... you know it's bad. Looks like that's what you gotta do.

Here's what maybe should have been done first:

The Ford TSB has been changed alot from its original release-

It now says you must start with a cold engine, meaning the vehicle must sit for at least 8 hours. They ask that you loosen the plugs 1/8 of a turn and then put several teaspoons of Motocraft Carb and carbon cleaner down the hole and wait at least 45 minutes for the carb cleaner to wick down the threads and loosen the carbon. You should use a torque wrench and not exceed 37 ft lbs break away torque. If it exceeds 37 ft lbs, they ask that you put more carb cleaner down the hole and wait for the carbon to dissolve.

On the install, they recommend using anti sieze on the motor seat area of the plug. I have done 15 vehicles so far using this method and have not broken any plugs

Fix it, and then sell it... lol...

-Robert

gravy job with the tool as long as you broke one of the front 4. the trick is aerokroil spray and use an impact to get them out. not a big deal.

paid 50k for my 06 f250 4x4 diesal lariat back in early o5 and i have asked my self y ever since. hince y only 50k miles on it to this day. two turbos. radiator, front suspencion recall emissions recall and even a coolant leak that they blamed on it sittin for long periods of time lol. never again, :wacko:

Edited by chassispuke

maybe you should have bought a duramax. So you could have replaced two turbos a radiator, a few emissions recall an inferior suspension. and to top it off a set of injectors that most dealers wont replace under warranty. But you would have got the best trans, alllison makes a great trans. oh dont forget the window regulators. you would have bought at least 2 by now.

It has been proven in many fleets many times over that that "horrible crap motor" the 6.0 when taken care of is great. but that means quality fuel to keep the egr clean. You will never have a problem when using motorcraft certane boost. And keep the coolent clean "ford gold coolent" so the egr and oil coolers dont get to hot.many people hate the 6.0 untill they start maintaining it a quit using s*** vatozone parts and filters.

BAck to the whole three valve issue the borken spark plug is a crappy design but you rarely see someone that goes into knowing what they are doing break one. sorry to the op but it wasnt broke till you broke it.

Like stated, Snap-On (and Ford) make a tool for this...it is about the only way you'll et it out without taking the head off...Just wait until #4 blows out the hole, too...they make a tool for that, as well...lol

Yeah I have done these tune-ups before and they are a complete pain in the a**. Has to be the worst idea for a spark plug design in the world. Like stated earlier there is a special tool to do this a little easier. I purchased it from the snap-on tool truck after I broke a plug and it fell down into the cylinder. :wacko:

Kyle

I had that happen to me to... '05 Expedition, we had them take it to a Ford dealer. Definitely not a good plug design, at least with the older modulars they just pop the plug out and you can buy a good kit to fix it. All manufacturers have problems like this though seems like every newer car i research has something expensive that more than likely not If it happens but When. Plugs, wiring harnesses, oil pumps... pick your poison regular maintenance is key and not what the manufacture says, 100,000 miles on plugs yeah right not on mine.

it seems that for the last 15-20 years ford has decide'd NOT to use any of their better idea's

take the 4.0 v6 over head cam $900 worth of timeing chains and tentioners ,, one for each head,, and the one for left head is on the rear of the engine

Hmm so My 06 F250 5.4 triton with 66k on the clock.... I should attempt to replace the plugs? Now instead of the recommended interval?

Dad

PS, I also have that dreaded TBC fault that is not covered by my extended warranty. :(

Hmm so My 06 F250 5.4 triton with 66k on the clock.... I should attempt to replace the plugs? Now instead of the recommended interval?

Dad

PS, I also have that dreaded TBC fault that is not covered by my extended warranty. :(

3/4 and 1 tons are easier to do the plugs in than 1/2 tons at least. Pull all the COP's off, blow out the holes with air, then spray some PB blaster/WD40/Liquid Wrench/whatever else does the same thing down the holes and let it sit over night... then good luck.

Worst tune up i ever did was a 2000 f150 with a 5.4l, and factory propane injection, 8 hours of cursing, then another hour the next morning because a COP turned out to be bad, at least it was one of the front ones. I can knock out a normal 5.4l 1/2 ton in an hour and a half with no problems but that propane injection was crazy to deal with secondary fuel rails, control unit... gah just thinking about it irritates me.

maybe you should have bought a duramax. So you could have replaced two turbos a radiator, a few emissions recall an inferior suspension. and to top it off a set of injectors that most dealers wont replace under warranty. But you would have got the best trans, alllison makes a great trans. oh dont forget the window regulators. you would have bought at least 2 by now.

It has been proven in many fleets many times over that that "horrible crap motor" the 6.0 when taken care of is great. but that means quality fuel to keep the egr clean. You will never have a problem when using motorcraft certane boost. And keep the coolent clean "ford gold coolent" so the egr and oil coolers dont get to hot.many people hate the 6.0 untill they start maintaining it a quit using s*** vatozone parts and filters.

BAck to the whole three valve issue the borken spark plug is a crappy design but you rarely see someone that goes into knowing what they are doing break one. sorry to the op but it wasnt broke till you broke it.

I bought a cummins simply because they looked much easier to work on and I'm very happy with the engine. A pre EGR dpf cummins that is.

Edited by Hoosierquest

Sure glad my 4.6 is a 2 valve. All I have to worry about is the spark plug spitting out of the head while driving. It's happened once. I got lucky, and was able to re-torque it back in without it coming back out.

Sure glad my 4.6 is a 2 valve. All I have to worry about is the spark plug spitting out of the head while driving. It's happened once. I got lucky, and was able to re-torque it back in without it coming back out.

lol that reminds me on the way to get marry'd my old 55 ford spit out a plug :) so it's not a new thing for fords to do

lol that reminds me on the way to get marry'd my old 55 ford spit out a plug :) so it's not a new thing for fords to do

Yep our old '66 Thunderbird's 390 liked to loosen plugs up too.