Bad RIde Home from PF

jonboyb

you don't need any special or super fuel pumps , after all didn't the oem pumps manage to last 20 years ,,:)

what you need to do is service you fuel system properly and renew an old tire'd fuel pump with a good quality new one ;)

it's more of a procrastination thing then a pump thing http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Pretty sure all these cars had newer fuel pumps :lol:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty sure all these cars had newer fuel pumps :lol:

I think Shelby is trying to say that a stock Mitsu replacement is capable of handling MPI, TBI cars like Drew's, and JZ swaps :rolleyes: Either that or we're all idiots that just don't know how to correctly service our fuel systems and too lazy to do it anyways.

Edited by jonboyb

I think Shelby is trying to say that a stock Mitsu replacement is capable of handling MPI, TBI cars like Drew's, and JZ swaps http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif Either that or we're all idiots that just don't know how to correctly service our fuel systems and too lazy to do it anyways.

:) i'm just saying that pumps run for many thous of miles if properly instal'dl and the system is up to par ,, multipal pump failures have a cause ,,simple replaceing a pump with out finding and cureing the cause means the new pump will fail ,certain as the sun will come up tomarrow

or you all are buying inferior pumps http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

and i said nothing about oem pumps being able to handle MPi or mod'd sysems only that the oem pump was a bosh and it handle'd the hot roads for many years , now the pumps specs and what model you need will depend on aplication and useage

Now I know why ppl preach cool fuel systems. Some sort of cooler or fan set up might be in order.. My pumps got less than 5k on it. Its the most stressful thing in my car right now for me.

It was a walbro with less that 8 months on it...maybe 1500 miles of driving. All new filters and I would eat out of my gas tank...minus the gas of course...

Dont roll your eyes and accuse me of procrastination because my fuel pump went out.......

It was a walbro with less that 8 months on it...maybe 1500 miles of driving. All new filters and I would eat out of my gas tank...minus the gas of course...

Dont roll your eyes and accuse me of procrastination because my fuel pump went out.......

:rolleyes:

Lol sorry ...had to

:) i'm just saying that pumps run for many thous of miles if properly instal'dl and the system is up to par ,, multipal pump failures have a cause ,,simple replaceing a pump with out finding and cureing the cause means the new pump will fail ,certain as the sun will come up tomarrow

or you all are buying inferior pumps http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

and i said nothing about oem pumps being able to handle MPi or mod'd sysems only that the oem pump was a bosh and it handle'd the hot roads for many years , now the pumps specs and what model you need will depend on aplication and useage

I agree with you 100% Shelby. The OEM fuel pumps can deliver enough fuel at the correct fuel pressure to support 400 HP Starquests. I had an old SQC link which talked about that but now the link is broken. :( http://www.starquestclub.com/archives/03052008/virtmechforums/viewtopic_9946.html

I strongly believe that the Mitsu OEM Starquest fuel pump will last damn near as long as the Starquest body does with no problems, provided that the Starquest is NOT run out of fuel and the fuel system is clean and the filters/strainers are changed frequently. Point in fact - I'm still running the original Mitsu FACTORY OEM fuel pump that is performing perfectly, with hardly any noise after 406K+ miles. And many, many times I have been in the HOT South Western deserts of the USA in 105 - 110 Deg heat tooling along without any problems. But then again, my Old Broad has never sat in a garage or a field for months/years at a time which allowed the fuel to degrade or the gas tank to rust which would tear the pump up.

BUT, I CARRY A SPARE BRANDY NEW Mitsu OEM fuel pump, still in the Mitsu parts box, around with me whenever I go on a trip, it's one of the non -readily available parts that's essential to getting me home. If the fuel pump crapped out on me, I can't imagine getting it replaced with a Walbro out in the middle of nowhere in some of the places the Old Broad and I have been in during the last couple of years on our trips.

I bought it about 2 1/2 years ago for $180 and according to Kyle - jahjah - who got it for me at dealers price, it was the last one in the USA at that time. It's the BEST $180 piece of insurance, for my peace of mind on the trips, along with a spare set of GOOD fuel injectors, that I've ever spent. Hopefully Mitsu replenished the supply since then.

I know that most of you guys who experienced fuel pump problems know what you are doing and you are Old Hands at working on the Starquests. However, I wonder how many of the problem pumps are Walbro's, if so what model and where were they bought; and how many of 'em are Mitsu fuel pumps? Cuz like Shelby said, maybe they were inferior or the wrong fuel pumps for the Starquest/engine application depending on what after market vendor you bought it from.

According to PQ on i-x.net, there are counterfeit Walbro Fuel Pumps on the market. Here is a link to a Google search about this. Read about it for yourself. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS250US251&q=counterfiet+walbro+fuel+pumps

Were any of the pumps Airtex/Master E8000. Many parts stores sell this pump under differant names. Napa sells it as 2P70199. According to Napa "2" means it is a second line part with the internals made cheaper overseas.

Shelby, I believe the the Starquest OEM fuel pumps are/were made by Denso - however I may be wrong.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edit - here is a SQC link about the Fake Walbro fuel pumps. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114336

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Someone needs to get me the name of the "Turbo" door handle font, please. I'm wanting some decals for my handles that say "Snail" thanks to Josh and his "Lambo" door handles.

Had a great time, everyone!

PF12, anyone?

My name is Chad, not Josh. :lol: And yes, mine was the orange one. :)

Chad-

you guys with dead pumps running low on fuel at the time of failure? Fuel is the pumps coolant. Running the tank below 1/4 tank means there is less fuel mass to shed it's heat into. The fuel gets circulated over and over again cause it's a "return" system, it works like the coolant for the motor, where the tank and lines are the radiator. What happens to the motor when it's cooalnt is low ;) ?

We all tend to run lower tank volumes to prevent fuel spoileage, and because a fill-up is so damn expensive, but on a long trip it's pretty cheap pump insurance.

For informations sake I was never below 1/2 tank for the entire trip.

Same here.

I let it go low one time on the way back from Branson to Houston a couple of years ago and the pump which only had about 400 miles on it was howling!

Fortunately it was OK after I filled up but since then I never let the gauge get below 1/2.

Colin B)

Same here.

I let it go low one time on the way back from Branson to Houston a couple of years ago and the pump which only had about 400 miles on it was howling!

Fortunately it was OK after I filled up but since then I never let the gauge get below 1/2.

Colin http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

that may be an indicator that the fuel bowel inlet is partialy plug'd , below 1/2 a tan is when all the fuel has to come in thru that inlet pipe

that may be an indicator that the fuel bowel inlet is partialy plug'd , below 1/2 a tan is when all the fuel has to come in thru that inlet pipe

Wouldn't surprise me Shelby, I put it down to a really hot day and driving it hard for 4 hours.

No trouble since and no issues coming back from PF on Saturday in 95+ degree heat.

I will be checking the fuel system soon though as it's long overdue for an overhaul.:blush:

Colin B)

wow man, sorry to hear you guys made it home with such p.i.t.a. stuff to deal with. jonboy, isnt that like the 4th or 5th pump youve killed? seems like youve had particularly bad luck with pumps, but i may not be thinking about all on the same car.

on a brighter note, once imanaged to drag samantha kicking and screaming out of the hotel room, we got on our way home and made it as perfectly uneventfull as you could ask for. the good ol nissan altima came thru like a champ and the a/c was perfect. was good to see all of you again.

we got home a few ours ago with a nice easy ride home. cool seeing all you crazy doods again ;) bummer we're missing the outstanding fire work show in Gatlinburg but there's always next year...speaking of, LOL, the 4th is a wednesday :blink:

I still chuckle at your... admiration of my hair when you saw me :lol:

I swear this trip has taken out 4-5 fuel pumps due to them over heating :)

My Walboro fuel pump is now making noises it never used to make as well. Kind of a bummer...but I'm gonna run it til it's dead.

I swear this trip has taken out 4-5 fuel pumps due to them over heating http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I think it's the gas in the area. It took out 3 pumps 2 years ago.

You know, now that you mention it, The last time we went to PF we had gas issues too. Nothing to blow pumps or keep us from getting home, but the cars deffinately didn't run as good as they did before and after gas from PF.

You know, now that you mention it, The last time we went to PF we had gas issues too. Nothing to blow pumps or keep us from getting home, but the cars deffinately didn't run as good as they did before and after gas from PF.