Best Post In This forum In the Past Month

Starfighterpilot

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116284

Mike posted this post in VM. I originally posted the below reply to it in his post. But I had second thoughts cuz I may be possibly hijacking his thread.

So I decided to make it a Post to stand by itself.

Mike, that is the best question that I have read in this VM forum in a month!!!

I am getting SO TIRED of reading the same questions over and over again. ESPECIALLY if the FSM page number is given for the person to read in a reply to their Starquest problem and they come back with another question about the SAME DAMN thing which just shows that they did not read the FSM reference!!! Or they are told to check something and they do not say in their next question whether or not they checked it but go on and on about their problem.

I am getting to the point of just saying, "If you won't do your own research OR WHAT'S SUGGESTED BY KNOWLEDGIBLE STARQUESTERS then screw you and find out the answer to your problem on your own or go do whatever the idiotic NOOB replies say!!!" IF IT WERE NOT FOR HOPEFULLY KEEPING ANOTHER STARQUEST ON THE ROAD.

Some of the NOOB wanabee off the wall responses to some of the Starquester posted problems are just absolutely laughable if they were not so pathetic.

If good infomation is given out by knowledigible Starquesters it's buried in a bunch of NOOB know it all wanabee replies.

Why do you think that the other extremely knowledgible old timers no longer give advice in VM? I'll tell ya why, they got tired of this BS.

Remember!!! On SQC it's not the number of posts you have made or your name appearing in the post's Last Post Info column in VM; it's the QUALITY of your reply which builds your Starquest Reputation.

I cannot speak for Indiana or Shelby or the other KNOWLEDIBLE OLD TIMERS but what are you guys gonna do if they stop replying to your BS?

For What It's Worth.

KEN

BTW- HOW MANY OF YOU LOOK UP YOUR PROBLEM IN THE STARQUEST FAQ FORUM before you post? Or do you think that your problem with your Starquest is totally unique and has never happened in the past 28 years that the Starquests have been on the road. Yeah right!!

If you read this form at all there are old timers constantly telling the person with the Starquest problem to down load the FSM and even give 'em the page number for info to correct their problem. How many of 'em down load the FSM before posting or simply ignore this piece of advice in the reply to their problem? At least 50% do not cuz they want A QUICK FIX with the least amount of work on their part to correct the root cause of their problem.

"Hell, it's easier to post my problem and have someone else take their time to look it up in the Starquest FAQ's or the FSM." If that's your attitude then ........................ Need I type more?

Edited by Starfighterpilot

You make a good argument. I think I'll start making posts about things I don't know about to join the fun. We need the old heads here for their knowledge. Maybe they'll get disgusted by all the wrong things I say and come out of hiding. Or maybe I'll ask old questions again like... how do I fix the clutch that slams to the floor? I have the answers but since I haven't been able to work on the car to fix them I will just ask the question again to refresh my memory even though it now comes up in the search when I go to look for it. Some guy was asking about that in another post and they gave him the answer and referred to another guy having a similar problem not too long ago. I think that other person with the similar problem was me. The search isn't as easy to use here as it is on Cobaltss.net but I still manage.

Well, to me this site kinda works like ALLDATA. The reason being is that I can post on here and get a response from people who experienced these cars problems for the past 28 years. Yes I am sure that somebodys rods have made noise before. But by asking about them I learned from a member about a TSB about factory bearings,this was not in my factory service manual, and what type and brand that are the best.

lol that tsb about rod brgs has cause'd more fuss then you would ever imagine ,, how bad can a brg be if it has last'd 20 yrs , they had a batch of brgs to the factory that did get install'd in a few cars but i have never heard of a single brg problem relate'd to this tsb,, it's far too old to have any meaning now

Well, to me this site kinda works like ALLDATA. The reason being is that I can post on here and get a response from people who experienced these cars problems for the past 28 years. Yes I am sure that somebodys rods have made noise before. But by asking about them I learned from a member about a TSB about factory bearings,this was not in my factory service manual, and what type and brand that are the best.

It wasn't in the FSM becuase it was meant for people who take their car in for regularly scheduled maintenance and actually want to keep their car running/ operating like new. The rest of the people they could care less about.

I agree with the BS goin on...same old questions, never actually testing, just what part do I throw at it to fix it. I want it to go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds with just a few mods...like a big ol honkin turbo. LOL makes me laugh.

I might be one of the "old" guys...I dunno. I'll be 50 soon, well a little too soon if ya ask me, lol, but the point is...I've been workin on cars since the age of 14. My father coaching...since I lost my father this past July...it was really something for us. Father and son..him teaching, me working...how do you put a price on that? Learned a lot about cars...each make isn't really all that different under the skin of the body. Most posters think this car is unique...but it isn't. The combination together is a bit different than most other cars...but turbos have been around since WWII. Only the electronics, sensors and such that I'm not totally familiar with...but the basics...got that down pat over many years experiance. Hell, learned even more when I went drag racing with a 70 Hemi Cuda. Built the car myself for racing only. Been there done that..."What is it you really want the car for?" I feel like asking these guys before telling them they are makin a big mistake. But then I'm old school...help where ya can. I'll stop now.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116284

Mike posted this post in VM. I originally posted the below reply to it in his post. But I had second thoughts cuz I may be possibly hijacking his thread.

So I decided to make it a Post to stand by itself.

Mike, that is the best question that I have read in this VM forum in a month!!!

I am getting SO TIRED of reading the same questions over and over again. ESPECIALLY if the FSM page number is given for the person to read in a reply to their Starquest problem and they come back with another question about the SAME DAMN thing

I am getting to the point of just saying, "If you won't do your own research OR WHAT'S SUGGESTED BY KNOWLEDGIBLE STARQUESTERS then screw you and find out the answer to your problem on your own or go do whatever the idiotic NOOB replies say!

BTW- HOW MANY OF YOU LOOK UP YOUR PROBLEM IN THE STARQUEST FAQ FORUM before you post?

"Hell, it's easier to post my problem and have someone else take their time to look it up in the Starquest FAQ's or the FSM." If that's your attitude then ........................ Need I type more?

Agreed, sounds about right :) Some of us spend our entire evenings on here trying to help others out by giving them information. So guys, if we try once in awhile to get you to help yourself, Please take our advice. After all, we were not born with a copy of both FSMs in our cribs.(Maybe Shelby was) :lol: but we learned over time by owning one of these cars how useful they are.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

i see the fsm on ebay all the time for around $20-30. it seems like a handful of the "newer" guys would rather spend the money on stickers. i feel what Ken is saying in every single one of his posts. i wish we were closer and could grab a beer. Cal is welcome to join too :)

i see the fsm on ebay all the time for around $20-30. it seems like a handful of the "newer" guys would rather spend the money on stickers. i feel what Ken is saying in every single one of his posts. i wish we were closer and could grab a beer. Cal is welcome to join too :)

I'm all for that :) Thanks for the invitation, I'll buy the beer.

Bill

I'm definately a SQ newb, but I have to say the search function on this site isn't as intuitive as others I've used.

My first technical post was about the fuel gauge and if you type that in the search bar, the results aren't what I'd expect them to be. There probably are some special features to increase search accuracy as there are with other forums, but I would expect most people to just stop there and start the 833rd thread about any given topic.

I guess it is too much to expect someone to do some research/homework, however. I've learned quite a bit and have a good collection of "favorites" going just by thumbing through old VM threads. So far I'm down to page 130-something :lol:

I do have to say the FAQ is well organized and FSM's are readily available to those who will take the 5 minutes to read a few things and download it. Again, the FSM doesn't specify every problem/symptom ever experienced and evidently the reading that ensues is just too much to handle for some people.

Also, the SOS site has some insanely detailed instructions and how-to's for these cars. I was impressed by how much time someone put into maintaining and repairing a non-mainstream car. Kudos to those who put all that together, unless is really is just PQ. Having never heard of a SQ a few years ago, I have found that there is a very dedicated crowd connected to these cars, probably more than what I've seen with the typical muscle/sports car.

I agree, I realize that I'm probably considered a NOOB :wacko: and I probably ask some seemingly dumb questions at times but, before I even bought my car I downloaded the FSM. Working at a printing company (at the time) I got a large binder printed a really cool cover for it and then had our POD (Print On Demand) department print me the pdf file (Vols 1 & 2). I've referred to it almost every single time I've worked on my car, even to compare procedures (like TPS/ISC etc.) from ones posted on here...to be sure I get the results needed. If I've learned any neat tricks, I also print out those and add them to the front pocket (colored vacuum diagrams, glovebox LED code indicator etc.)

Between my wife and I we've owned 3 of these cars over the years however, this rebuild is the first time that I've done anything besides wash them and change the oil :blink: . Any questions I've ever had... I've noticed through other threads that I'm not the only one that's had them. But thanks to you guys who dedicate a boatload of their time helping us out, and guiding us on the right path with the proper information. Without your skills we most likely couldn't put our cars back on the road.

So (at least from me) Thanks to Starfighterpilot, Shelby, Indiana, Caliber308, Dad, IntercooledFlatty, Starquestrescue, ProfessorQuest, Witchhunter... and anyone else who has assisted us in getting our rides back to great (or at least running) shape. I really hope to someday soon, meet you in person and commend you for all you do for us

I agree, I realize that I'm probably considered a NOOB :wacko: and I probably ask some seemingly dumb questions at times but, before I even bought my car I downloaded the FSM. Working at a printing company (at the time) I got a large binder printed a really cool cover for it and then had our POD (Print On Demand) department print me the pdf file (Vols 1 & 2). I've referred to it almost every single time I've worked on my car, even to compare procedures (like TPS/ISC etc.) from ones posted on here...to be sure I get the results needed. If I've learned any neat tricks, I also print out those and add them to the front pocket (colored vacuum diagrams, glovebox LED code indicator etc.)

Between my wife and I we've owned 3 of these cars over the years however, this rebuild is the first time that I've done anything besides wash them and change the oil :blink: . Any questions I've ever had... I've noticed through other threads that I'm not the only one that's had them. But thanks to you guys who dedicate a boatload of their time helping us out, and guiding us on the right path with the proper information. Without your skills we most likely couldn't put our cars back on the road.

So (at least from me) Thanks to Starfighterpilot, Shelby, Indiana, Caliber308, Dad, IntercooledFlatty, Starquestrescue, ProfessorQuest, Witchhunter... and anyone else who has assisted us in getting our rides back to great (or at least running) shape. I really hope to someday soon, meet you in person and commend you for all you do for us

Your welcome. If you have some free time in October, fly out to Las Vegas and attend our Mesquite Meet.We had a blast in 2010. Meeting people who have the same interest in these cars as you do is priceless. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again at Mesquite 2011.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

+1. There is so much valuable information on this site and excellent SQ veterans to help out other fellow SQ owners. Thank you all so much for helping, I've learned so much here.

Your invited to the Mesquite meet too. :)

Bill

a name that has been missing in this thread is Mike C, Mike is what i'd call an EXPERT on these car a true expert

any one wanting to build a info book should simply down load and save every single one of his postings , you'l haveone of the most detail'd how to and how to trouble shoot guides ever made

a name that has been missing in this thread is Mike C, Mike is what i'd call an EXPERT on these car a true expert

any one wanting to build a info book should simply down load and save every single one of his postings , you'l haveone of the most detail'd how to and how to trouble shoot guides ever made

Agreed.

Bill

and another realy important thing has been missing from both the VM and the AVM forums

and thats feed back on was the problem fix'd and what exactly was the problem

some one spends hours looking up stuff and never knows if it help'd or not ,

life is a two way street problems have cure but many things can cause the same problems , post your final fix