I love how customers are difficult for no reason

Fanta

My work place's website currently really only works ideally with Internet Explorer ( when you place a new order on any other browser the new order java pop up pops up off center off screen etc - its in the works to be fixed ).

Well, THIS just arrived in my email.

"December 8, 2010

Cigma Blinds

Justin

Dear Justin,

I have tried to use your new system and have just figured out that he reason we can’t get it to work is that we are using Apple Mac computers and the Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox Browsers. We will not put the Microsoft browser on these computers. We have had nothing but trouble with the Microsoft products and will not install any MS product on our machines. Let me know if you have a solution that we haven’t thought of.

Sincerely yours,

*******"

You have got to be bloody kidding me.

Here's the solution:

Fax machine. Fax in the order.

You want unruly customers? Try this one!

Guy comes in, we don't have the part. He asks if our competitor does, and I told him I did not know. What's he say?

"Well, look up the number and call them! You're paid by the hour! Put a little effort into it!"

I put effort into tossing that idiot out of the building.

Tim

LOL...I didn't write it Justin, and wouldn't be so "anti-MS", but all I have are Mac computers and I wouldn't throw IE on one just to place an order. IE is about the worst browser on the planet IMO. Why not get your company to offer their site optimized for other browsers as well?

Just a thought.

Industry standards are to get the site working for both Mac and Windows including all browsers going back a couple versions. Yeah, it sucks because compromises must be made but you don't want to lose any traffic. We just finished a site that went through tons of changes/tweaks due to IE. I would politely reply back that you are working to get things straight for the Mac.

It's actually out of my hands and the programmers are working on it to work for Firefox and Chrome ( which is also mentioned in a banner at the top of the site ). I personally use Firefox here at work, but to login the site I fire up IE because it's the only thing that currently works properly ( the new website just went up ).

Also, Tim - they don't have a fax machine anymore. Our company itself is slowly moving away from the fax also ( online ordering, which makes things go a LOT faster, and omits another party that is able to make an error ). I just find the letter in and of itself slightly ridiculous.

Industry standards are to get the site working for both Mac and Windows including all browsers going back a couple versions. Yeah, it sucks because compromises must be made but you don't want to lose any traffic. We just finished a site that went through tons of changes/tweaks due to IE. I would politely reply back that you are working to get things straight for the Mac.

Oh, I already had a word with the web designers awhile back at how its 2010, why in snookies face is this not compatible.

I don't get this I suppose. Why should customers expect your website to work on their computers. If they want to order stuff that bad then they should use whatever you tell them to. If they aren't happy with it then they can take their business elsewhere. That should be your companies business model. Buy it or don't, stop asking questions.

I don't get this I suppose. Why should customers expect your website to work on their computers. If they want to order stuff that bad then they should use whatever you tell them to. If they aren't happy with it then they can take their business elsewhere. That should be your companies business model. Buy it or don't, stop asking questions.

But the customer IS ALWAYS RIGHT!

Tim

I don't see the problem. Everything but IE doesn't work for your website, how is that the customers problem?

You should take their order via email or over the phone.

You know what I do when something like this happens to me as a customer? I shop elsewhere. I don't have time to screw around.

Im with Just_pause - i dont have time to mess around. If I need to order something I dont want a hassle with figuring out which browser works.

Just be glad your not selling on eBay - you would not believe some of the yahoo's on there. i.e. - we sold an item, we went to pull it from inventory and it was not on the shelf and nowhere to be found (was disco from mfg so no ordering a new one) so we tell the customer this and he gets angry and says he is calling the local police department, BBB, eBay and PayPal :rolleyes:

Everybody wants something for nothing.

Im with Just_pause - i dont have time to mess around. If I need to order something I dont want a hassle with figuring out which browser works.

Just be glad your not selling on eBay - you would not believe some of the yahoo's on there. i.e. - we sold an item, we went to pull it from inventory and it was not on the shelf and nowhere to be found (was disco from mfg so no ordering a new one) so we tell the customer this and he gets angry and says he is calling the local police department, BBB, eBay and PayPal :rolleyes:

Everybody wants something for nothing.

inventory problems ? i had this happen with some random company a while back and they didnt want to refund my money, only wanted to give me the credit with them. but they didnt have anything else i wanted. i had to raise heck to get them to refund my money and actually had to get paypal involved just to be safe i would get my money back.

Their "anti MS" stance is a bit over the top, and I suspect they are making their own lives more difficult in an effort to punish MS by promoting how bad they are to everyone and refusing to use MS products. That said, they didn't seem to demand you change or get hostile to you and asked if there was an alternative, which seems respectful. Reminds me of the saying, "When seeking revenge, first dig two graves."

why don't you just sugest they install the addin to there browser IE tab?

It works great, you can tell it what IE to use etc?

I use it for testing applications all the time.

Edited by jszucs

I don't see the problem. Everything but IE doesn't work for your website, how is that the customers problem?

You should take their order via email or over the phone.

You know what I do when something like this happens to me as a customer? I shop elsewhere. I don't have time to screw around.

No, only IE works properly for the site currently.

We do take orders over email, fax, and phone. They no longer have a fax, they state they dont have time to place an order over the phone, and they have emailed some of their more technical orders to us before.

In any case, I don't really care one way or another since its out of my control. I just found it slightly amusing that I received such an email.

Then again I wonder if I'm the only person who has IE, Firefox and Chrome installed on their PC.

Edited by Fanta

They aren't being difficult. You guys just aren't up to the customers needs, or industry standards... and they called you out on it.

I always did extensive testing in the most widely used browsers before going live. You guys getting lazy down there??

-Robert

You guys getting lazy down there??

-Robert

Dunno, ask the iranian programmers in iran? Apparently IE is still used majorly throughout the world as the main browser outside the US/Canada so that was why they didnt' even bother ( way to assume )

I personally use Firefox here at work, but to login the site I fire up IE because it's the only thing that currently works properly

+1

We are all PCs here at work and I used Firefox but I use IE to access SharePoint as some of it does not work as efficiently on Firefox.