Rant!! Halogen Head Lights

Starfighterpilot

I have been doing a lot of night driving the past 2 years. And one thing about night driving that I have developed acute dislike for, perhaps bordering on hatred, is the high intensity beamed halogen head lights.

It really ticks me off when some d*** is behind me with 'em on and I feel like a search light is shining in the Starion's interior and I can't see jack out of the rear view mirror without getting blinded. I usually slow WAY DOWN to force the d*** to pass me and start aggrivating/blinding the cars/drivers front of me.

Or when they go to pass you and those halogen beams get reflected off of the drivers side view mirror right into my eyes/face. My night vision is gone for what seems like the next five minutes!!! :mad:

It's especially bad when the d*** that installed them screwed up the head light adjustment so instead of pointing slightly down at the road they are shining straight ahead.

To me they ought to be bannned.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

1st.......your car has Halogen headlights. The ones I believe you're referring to are H.I.D. Xenon headlights.

If installed and adjusted properly, they're wonderful. Outside of their very controlled beam, there's virtually no light "scatter".

After owning a couple cars with Bi-xenon HID's....it's really tough to drive at night with anything else. I use 100w, 4" aircraft landing lights in place of my fogs on my Durango and they still don't come close to the quality and visibility of genuine HID's.

I'm guessing what you're encountering are irresponsible headlight users......I also, am bothered by them.

Turborusty

The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot depends on what the height of the vehicle behind you is. A 4X4 truck may have his lights aimed to OEM adjustment with OEM bulbs but because our cars are low, the light goes right in the back. I've noticed late 80's and early 90's Ford trucks to be some of the worst for blinding me in my SQ.

I fixed the whole problem tho. Now that I have a huge sub box in the back, I can only see out of a sliver at the top of the rear window, and the lights don't seem to bother me from behind as much.

Anybody else spend too much time trying to aim their sideview mirror back at the correct angle for the beams to shoot back into the offending driver's eyes? Or is it just me?

I do it!!! Hahahahaha and I thought it was just me :-P

Gotta love modern cars with their auto dimming rear view mirrors.

I used to love driving at night but I hate it now.

The combination of getting slightly older and much brighter headlights creating a ton more glare really sucks.

The poorly aimed or high beam/unnecessary flood of light is an occasional nuisance. However, last night this dude in a white grand am showed me a whole new level of obnoxious with his crazy purple beams. They didn't look like HID, I'm thinking he pulled it off with blue halogens and a film on the lenses, the color had to be beyond 12000K. First, I sped ahead to get away from him, then he did some passing and ended up behind me (a lane over) so I grabbed a bootful of brake to make the fool overtake. I know he is trying to make a statement, but I have no idea how he could drive with that color, or avoid tickets. It was seriously a danger to everyone.

Anybody else spend too much time trying to aim their sideview mirror back at the correct angle for the beams to shoot back into the offending driver's eyes? Or is it just me?

No but I use them regularly to check out hot chicks walking by.

YES!! haha - great to have the creature comforts of elec adjustable mirrors for just such a stupidly amusing reason.

how did you use the word d*** a handful of times in the first post and a moderator hasn't locked this topic or banned you? you must have a cloak of invisibility. =)

I have been doing a lot of night driving the past 2 years. And one thing about night driving that I have developed acute dislike for, perhaps bordering on hatred, is the high intensity beamed halogen head lights.

It really ticks me off when some d*** is behind me with 'em on and I feel like a search light is shining in the Starion's interior and I can't see jack out of the rear view mirror without getting blinded. I usually slow WAY DOWN to force the d*** to pass me and start aggrivating/blinding the cars/drivers front of me.

Or when they go to pass you and those halogen beams get reflected off of the drivers side view mirror right into my eyes/face. My night vision is gone for what seems like the next five minutes!!! :mad:

It's especially bad when the d*** that installed them screwed up the head light adjustment so instead of pointing slightly down at the road they are shining straight ahead.

To me they ought to be bannned.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

unless of course you're referring to private detectives.

how did you use the word d*** a handful of times in the first post and a moderator hasn't locked this topic or banned you? you must have a cloak of invisibility. =)

unless of course you're referring to private detectives.

I do see your point, but please stop before you get in more trouble. I don't want you to get banned.