Vs 1994 3000GT VR4

psu_Crash

23 members have voted

1. 1. How will I fair from a roll? 30 to 110ish

• You'll stomp him!
    • Evenish
    • You'll get your A** handed to ya
    • Get off the comp and race that punk!

Guy at work just bought a '94 3000GT VR-4, all wheel drive and all wheel steering(not verified). After talking to him a bit he doesn't know jack about it but thinks "it's twin turbo so it's the fastest car out there" A quick look under the hood revealed stock turbos and the only thing I could see not stock was a greddy blow-off. Btw I would have already raced him if The weather would cooperate. I think I got him from a roll. I also think a drag would be a different story. So humor me :lol:

Stock VR-4 (at the crank?)

319 hp@6000 rpm

315 lb·ft@2500 rpm

3800 lbs.

Edited by psu_Crash

I found this, having a hard time believing they run a 13.7 stock.

0-30 mph............................... 1.9 seconds

minimum stopping distance 122' @ 60 mph

minimum stopping distance 218' @ 80 mph

0 - 60 mph : 5.4 seconds

0 - 100 mph : 13.6 seconds

(stock times)

Lateral acceleration on 200' skidpad = .90g

1/4 mile - 13.7 響 mph

(stock times)

5th gear򝱌 rpm - 155 mph

6th gear򝝾 rpm - 160 mph

Engine redline - 7,000 rpm

Speedometer runout @ 180 mph

I own two first-gen VR4s. It's absolutely amazing the amount of disinfo out there about these cars. Most think they are pigs, but that's really only half-true. Some cars out there are built quite heavily, as the owners (anyone that can afford a W-code insurance car) can sometimes put some decent cash in them. There are places like www.3sx.com that specialize in the platform, and the online community is very healthy. I wish that the amount of Starion stuff made by small companies out there rivaled the amount made for the 3S platform, but the fact is there are just more of them. Cool thing is, the Starion was the fore-runner of the 3000GT ( Called GTO in Japan ), so there is definitely a heritage thing with the two models, even though there are differences. It's a brotherhood! Any 3S owner should respect the elder car, because if there were no Starion, there would not have been a 3000. Personally, they are my very favorite cars, and I own 2 of one and 4 of the other.

First, a 3000GT weighs a lot stock, what with the two turbos and support equipment, all-wheel drive system, and all-wheel steering system. If it's a 94 it probably does not have active aero, which ....oh wait, that was 97 it was phased out. Oh well. Probably does, that's really just extra weight in a straight-line.

the 3000GT is not really made for drag racing, it's a grand tourer, but of course if someone wants to dump enough money in anything you can make it decently fast. They are faster than most people think off the line. However, until the turbos start to make some noise, they'll not do a whole lot. They are good on top-end stock, at about 163 or so mph top speed. Not that anyone will ever do that for the most part.

If he just got the car, last thing he needs is to race it, he needs to check the driveline out, make sure there are no leaks, especially in the transfer case. He also needs to make sure it's got BG SynchroShift in the tranny, not the stock fluid that Mitsu recommended. Using the recommended fluid will insure synchronizer destruction eventually.

I personally don't think my VR4s are all that fast, but I don't beat on them. If your car is built, you might do pretty good in a 1/4 mile race against a TT, but I don't know. A stock TT is about a high 13 second car in the hands of a guy that knows how to launch, but usually not if the person does not know how to launch it. You'll be looking at mid 14s ( or high 14s ) from most people. Plus, that's a good way to break an old, stock VR4 driveline.

If i had to put money on your race, with what very little I know, i'd guess that in the first race, he will win by a car and a half, but drag racing does not interest me in the least bit. Let's get you two guys NASA-certified and do some real racing, on a road course!! Both platforms do very well in a twisty road race. Starions are just brutal in the corners, and the 3S has all four paws digging.

Enjoy!

Edited by Eirewolf

Just make sure you do it from a roll first. After you waste him he'll want a rematch from a dig, and then break his under maintained / unknown history, complicated drive line.

Just make sure you do it from a roll first. After you waste him he'll want a rematch from a dig, and then break his under maintained / unknown history, complicated drive line.

I agree. As soon as any 4cyl beats him he will either make up some excuse why he lost or want to drag..

either way you got him with your mods!

I agree.

Make it sound like you think he will beat you.

It will make your victory even sweeter.

with your mods it should be a walk. the two people who voted that you would lose have obviously not looked at your sig. i'd guess that if your car is tuned correctly then you have more than equal HP at the crank and weigh a good 700 pounds less.

O believe me I've been telling the guy I don't think I can beat him "but it should be close" I wanna see him cry! :lol:

Every intention of ending it by 110mph. And I've got it tuned in at 18psi pretty dam good

I'll be sure to post up once it goes down. See what I can do about some video too

Edit: Just found out the car has 147k miles on all original equipment. My build has under 10k

Edited by psu_Crash

You need NOS. One of the big ones. Better make that two... BY TONIGHT!!

-Robert

Haha! You've been watching too much Fast and Furious! ...

Although there is one member with a nitrous powered truck who keeps telling me to just get a nitrous express kit and be done with it :)

Back on topic. Drove my Star to work and he had his VR4. Grabbed him on lunch and said let's do this. Now he suddenly is full of excuses. Road isn't 100% dry, I have to let it warm up and we don't have time, what about the cops? Well it was 3 30am so cops are scarce, the raod was mostly dry and there is about a mile of straight flat empty road directly out of the parking lot. Looks like he was all talk. Kinda bummed, I was looking forward to whoopin on him :( I'm going to follow him out of here at 7am and taunt him

Well I followed him out of work onto the highway. Hit the on ramp and he floored it. So I followed suit ... And had to hit the brakes to keep from rear ending him. Hit the 4 lane and caught 4th. By 110mph he was a good 50ft back and losing ground fast! Goodbye 3000gt :)

hahaha thats great i never liked the look of those cars. buti wouldntm ind driving one just to say i have. i had a similar thing happen with a kid in an h22 vtec prelude.

I've already read the results, I'll go ahead and vote that you'll lose.....I'm not afraid of ridicule. :)

Turborusty

:o :lol:

Saw the guy at work tonight for the first time since the beating. He's a little bitter. And yep, now he wants to drag race. Off the line I'm sure he's got me but once I hit third it's over. I'll be his Huckleberry :D

I have always liked the 3000gt better than the sleath. They are bad a** cars. They are a little heavy but for there time they were cool and with some mods they can be very fast. I think if it was healthy and he new how to drive from a dead stop you would have your work cut out for you. If he launched it at 6000rpm he should have at least a car link on you. Not saying you wouldn't pull on him after that but that awd pulls hard off the line. He sounds like a dumb a** because if it was a little wet out when you wanted to race he would have an advantage because of the awd. I'm glad you beat him and in my opinion the eclipse awd and the 3000gt vr4 and the conquset are all bad a** mitsubishi's and if i could only own all three i would be so happy.