BANG! .... coast to a stop ...

psu_Crash

Well I said the new setup would find the weak link in my drivetrain ... and it did. I just thought it would be the clutch first :( Getting on it a little coming off a light and when I hit second gear .. BANG! ... no go. Engine was still running and no matter what gear I put it in all I hear is some faint grinding sounds. Haven't got under it yet to see if it's the trans/clutch or rear end. No fluid dumping all over so that's good. Waiting on my uncle who owns a rollback to call me back so we can go get it.

I am not even really that bummed because THANK GOD IT'S NOT THE ENGINE!

Kind of a funny coincidence that I just found a local guy selling multiple trannys and rear ends.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's home and in the garage now. My uncle seems to think I ripped the center out of the clutch since it doesn't really make any noise when you put in in gear, jsut a slight rubbing noise. It tries to move ever so slightly like a fried clutch would do. Had him look under while i tried to put it in gear and the driveshaft doesn't move. So I think the rear end is ok. I'll pull off the inspection plate tomorrow and get a look at the clutch.

I'll pull off the inspection plate tomorrow and get a look at the pieces of clutch.

Like you said man, at least it wasn't the motor.

Also, I've been looking into AutoX like we talked about, I found some stuff. We'll talk about it. :)

Edited by dmyers151

Let us know what ya find when you get it apart. Can you put the car in gear when its not running? If yes, does the car move if pushed when its in gear and not running? Just curious for more symptoms.

BC_99

Indy yep it's an '86 trans. I knew this was coming.

I can put it in any gear I want (including reverse) running or not and push the car around. I can shift it like this without using the clutch too.

Tomorrow I should have time to tear it apart and see what's going on.

its the clutch. my black 89 did the same thing. in the end there was no pads left on the clutch disc.

let me know if you want to upgrade to 88-89 lightened flywheel

Edited by starquestJOE

I've seen 88/89 lose 2nd and an 86 lose three gears on a 1-2 hard shift, I'd say you are looking for a new tranny. Its not hard to drop the pan on the tranny and you might be well to flush it out if its not dead and that's quicker than pulling the whole thing out.

my original one in my car lost second, then 1st and reverse in short order afterwards.

It would go into any gear, but, as soon as I let the clutch out in 1st, 2nd, or reverse, it would go about 1ft then lock up.

3rd through 5th worked great though...lol And...that was the trans.

If you can put it into any gear without using the clutch while the engine is running...sounds clutch related to me. Either that, or the shifter fork broke...which I doubt...lol

But, I would think if it was something in the trans, at least one of the gears would keep you from putting it in gear whilst the engine running.

Just ordered a 6-puck ACT HD clutch. I am leaning heavily towards that being the problem since I lost all gears all at once, and when shifting it things feel fine.

Even if it's not I need a new clutch since I could get the currently installed clutch to slip a little. I think it is an XTD stage 2 in there right now.

BTW this did not happen on a hard 1-2 shift, by no means was I leaving the light like it was a drag tree. Shifted nice and easy into 2nd then hit it and at about 4k RPM ... well ya know

Edited by psu_Crash

Indiana is 100% correct,,,change that old fluid that's probably

overdue,,,and that too will tell ya if it's the tranny.

from my experience when a tranny

let's go,,,it makes quite a bit of noise.

Good luck