BANG! .... coast to a stop ...

psu_Crash

I just changed fluid in the tranny and rear end not 100 miles ago, and yes I used the right stuff.

So I got it on the stands and started it up. Put in gear and the rear tires spin ... WT!? Apply the parking brake and they stop without putting any load on the engine. I look under and the driveshaft is still turning but the wheels .. nothing. Not making any odd noises what-so-ever. Turn the car off and grab a tire. I can turn either tire separately and the other doesn't move at all, neither does the driveshaft.

Seems like the clutch/tranny are functioning

So you were all wrong! :)

It's 100% in the rear end. Man, I JUST had that all out to do poly bushings!!!

The couple small pieces of metal i found in the bell housing still have me a little concerned though ...

Edited by psu_Crash

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when the wheels are spinning and you hit the e-brake did you actually check the driveshaft to see if it was still spinning as well?

Yes and it is turning without the tires moving at all.

Got the axles out and they look fine. Got it all loose and realized I should have listened to the service manual and took the torque tube off. Thought I could pull the diff with that still attached. Looks like I was wrong.

Got the axles out and they look fine. Got it all loose and realized I should have listened to the service manual and took the torque tube off. Thought I could pull the diff with that still attached. Looks like I was wrong.

You can pull the diff with the torque tube still attached but you have to remove the driveshaft flange first.

You can pull the diff with the torque tube still attached but you have to remove the driveshaft flange first.

Thought about that but I haven't come up with a good way to hold the flange solid so I can break that nut loose. Setting the rear parking brake like the service manual says is out since the rear is broke somewhere

In pack gun long extension and a universal can usually get the hard to get tt bolt. Or take the front and rear sub frame nuts loose and let the sub frame hand down in front. Might have to move your jack stands to just in fronf of the front mount. Use a board there.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81527&st=30 Its easier to unbolt the tt, but that can be hard to do if the diff bolts are out and it flopping around. Eagerly awaiting pictures of the carnage. :o

I have a couple of 4 bolt rears laying around. I could re stack a lsd nice and tight for you.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Well that's how I do it anyway. With the driveshaft flange out of the way that gives you the extra inch needed to do the job. (I know someone is gonna comment on that last sentence.) An impact gets that nut off and if the splines aren't rusty you can pull the flange off by hand. If they are rusty then a steering wheel puller will do the trick.

Well that's how I do it anyway. With the drive shaft flange out of the way that gives you the extra inch needed to do the job. (I know someone is gonna comment on that last sentence.) An impact gets that nut off and if the splines aren't rusty you can pull the flange off by hand. If they are rusty then a steering wheel puller will do the trick.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. Never thought of your way. Maybe he does not have an impact gun. A bar with two holes in it could be bolted to the flange to hold it. That's how i hold a flywheel to torque it.

Crash will figure it out. Git r done, we have a race to run. I think i can whoop you. :unsure:

Edited by StarquestRescue

Well ... I got it all apart. Not so much carnage as I think operator error :rolleyes:

Take a look at the end of both axles. I think in the course of my recent suspension work I unknowingly pulled the the circlip through the splines and it held the axle so that it got just the end of the shaft.

New tires + turn up the torque = BANG!

This would also explain why the wheels would move when I put it in gear while on stands.

Just 2 days before this happened I can attest to it's ability to light up both tires so it must have just happened??

At least that is my theory

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/194/img0834a.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2638/img0842ed.jpg

Nothing odd here

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8492/img0838h.jpg

But those sure look like pieces of splines

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4991/img0840f.jpg

So it came out part way and just stripped the end? I could send you an axel, but those chips should be cleaned out of there. Maybe a magnet could get them out. Do the side gear splines look ok?

Side gear splines look ok. I'll have to try a magnet but I still think it needs a thorough cleaning. Who knows what happened to the pieces I don't see.

Happen to have 2 4-bolts laying around?

Side gear splines look ok. I'll have to try a magnet but I still think it needs a thorough cleaning. Who knows what happened to the pieces I don't see.

Happen to have 2 4-bolts laying around?

Axles?, Yes i have them. Why two? If you take the ring gear off the diff housing be sure to put a mark on the ring gear to line up with the mark on the diff haves for reassembly. If you take the diff housing apart to get the chips out do not hesitate to ask questions.

Well the more I look at the LSD the more I am avoiding taking that apart. It looks like the pieces stayed pretty much in the splines of the diff. I'll clean it up to the best of my ability.

Do I even need new half axles? Doesn't that circlip go on the inside of the splines anyways? Or is there a groove that is sits in?

I said 2 because both of them are stripped on the end.

Clean the ends up with a file and use them. I would remove the circlip and test fit before final assembly. You can flush the gear oil out with solvent and as long as the LSD isn't being turned since the axles are out the oil will stay in there then just put it back together.

Ok I'm confused what I'm looking at here. First, are you saying those circlips are supposed to be there at all? Second, I'm assuming that shot of the LSD is from the rear with cover removed correct? So then what exactly is the last shot of? And looking at the inside of the LSD, even if you can't see metal bits, seeing that nice hole there in the center, looks like a prime place for nasty little shavings to hide.

As much as I hate my sperm donor, there is one thing he used to say before he disappeared that stuck with me. If you're going to do something, do it RIGHT or don't do it at all. It'll save you hassle and headache in the long run.