evo X owner/ n00b car guy is just amazing.

Technology

This guy on my local mitsu forum just became interested in modding his car when he found out there was a huge aftermarket for it. So he's got a 200+ reply thread with multiple new items on every page and everyone ooh-ing and ahh-ing, and then he starts complaining about how much money he's spent, and how he's running out and might not be able to pay for them to all get installed. HHMMMMM!!! What was the wrong part of that statement? He bought tons and tons of really expensive stuff, but doesn't know how to install any of it. My question is: What's the point of buying parts only to have someone else install them? You end up caring nothing for your car because you put no effort into it.

A guy I know had a quote in his signature that went like, "Having someone else build your car is like letting another man sleep with your wife then going around bragging about it." I tend to agree. The other thing that annoys me is all the blue and purple anodized parts he got. Hopefully he learns that it's not the anodizing and pretty colors that make a part good or make the car faster.

An example of what made me write this thread is that he just made a post that he ordered vacuum line off the internet. That's just wrong to me. Then of course it didn't fit whatever he was trying to put it onto. Big surprise.

Anyway, I just think that most quest owners do their own work and that's good because they generally care more about the cars than these other guys. Being broke and owning an 80's turbo car has its advantages.

yes...I am the reason my car is what it is today. Running, pretty, and with working a/c...lol Without my countless ours of blood, sweat, and swinging hammers, it would mean nothing to me.

With all that, I can take pride in saying, I did that. And, if you hit it, I cannot be held accountable for my actions :P

Whereas, if I had someone simply build it for me, it would simply be...cool, let me beat the absolute crap out of it till it breaks. Then buy another and do it again.

Edited by strang3majik

hhmm, I wonder what kind of parts he bought? You know, not everyone is mechanically inclined and that shouldn't be something to be held against you. Not all people were meant to wrench or even want to wrench. Yes, ideally it is a much better experience when you do it yourself, greater appreciation, you know how things go and how they work. But not all people can do that, so they pay for it.

I'm not commenting on this particular person, but just in general.

^ So does Laodicea. ;) We work on our cars mainly cause shops hate working on these. Plus rich joe shmo will buy a high dollar evo or 350z and have someone build it for them since they don't know a damn thing before a conquest, unless he's been iching to get one since they were new 20+ years ago.

I'll do his lady, and he can brag about it, don't bother me one bit.

Thats funny lol

the thing is some people like to stick money in other people face, nothing you can do about it. just watch him spend hords of dough and waste it.

I agree with the comment that not everyone is mechanically inclined. I do not mind working on my Quest but have limited mechanical knowledge. The ideal situation is a Quest "expert" or a meet that you can get with other guys and learn and increase your knowledge base.

woh woh woh I orded my vac line here (SQC) and this is the net. It was the right size and a good deal. We get alot of the parts we need from the net nothing wrong with that.

As for working on them, yeah I can do it all. If I had the money to pay someone for the quality of work I demand I would. I hate working on them but do it because I want the car and want high end work done to it.

As for people who don't have the ability / tools / or space there is nothing wrong with that and paying someone else to do it. I have the problem with people being alowed to drive and not knowing basics like the basics of how the major parts work, the physics behind driving not only in how the motor works how power is made but also the forces on the car when driving it. That is where I have a problem. We have made cars to avalable and not demanded people educate themself about them.

I've tried to do most of the installs on my first build which lead to a blown head gasket, warped head, and cracked block. Granted I was only 18 at the time, still though. I wish I had the patience and know-how to do it right the first time but, I don't. My curse is I just love cars too much to not build them out. It still takes a unique interest to build one of these cars out. That is to be more respected than buying it off the shelf like a new 350z or something. Sure most of it is not my blood but I can do most all of the bolt-ons and general maintenance. Which still makes me feel like i'm a part of the car.

Though I may not have done the hard wiring and mechanics of the build, it's still my own. Trust me when I say this, when you are cursed with not being able to do the work yourself you have a heavy price to pay. Accounted for i've put over 18k into the car including the car itself. That's just engine bay items so far. I still have suspension, trans, and bodywork. I should of dropped this project at 5k and moved on but it's like an addiction and I just can't shake it, haha.

I know I'll never get back close to what I've put in the car but knowing there is nothing else like it on the road makes it worth every penny :wub:

Edited by RWDAddict

This guy on my local mitsu forum just became interested in modding his car when he found out there was a huge aftermarket for it. So he's got a 200+ reply thread with multiple new items on every page and everyone ooh-ing and ahh-ing, and then he starts complaining about how much money he's spent, and how he's running out and might not be able to pay for them to all get installed. HHMMMMM!!! What was the wrong part of that statement? He bought tons and tons of really expensive stuff, but doesn't know how to install any of it. My question is: What's the point of buying parts only to have someone else install them? You end up caring nothing for your car because you put no effort into it.

This guy might fall right into that category, but installing something yourself does not equate to caring about your car or not. I guess you've never known people who've built/installed every single part of multiple cars, and have also recognized that buying something already built will save tens of thousands of dollars, or that having that tuner shop install something is more cost effective. Time really does equal money.

A guy I know had a quote in his signature that went like, "Having someone else build your car is like letting another man sleep with your wife then going around bragging about it." I tend to agree.

Horse crap. It's along the lines of "built, not bought" and only serves to self inflate the ego of people who can't afford such things.

Do you care enough about eradicating his type of character trait, to maybe offer to teach him. I doubt it, I think all you did was berate the guy and maybe not even where he could read it. If true, how are you helping and why do you care?

An example of what made me write this thread is that he just made a post that he ordered vacuum line off the internet. That's just wrong to me. Then of course it didn't fit whatever he was trying to put it onto. Big surprise.

And the hundreds of people who have bought lines from Welderwiz here on the forums over the last decade were "just wrong" also? C'mon dude,

Anyway, I just think that most quest owners do their own work and that's good because they generally care more about the cars than these other guys. Being broke and owning an 80's turbo car has its advantages.

It boils down to knowing the value of a dollar. No matter how wealthy you are, it plays little in how you treat things you have sunk good money into.

It sounds like your local Mitsu forum has let this guy down.

Pay some one to do it right if you dont know how to, there is no shame in the game. It all comes down to what will make more money for you. My house needs soffit and fascia I know how to do it and can probably make it look really nice. BUT I can pay a guy to do it for me and throw a motor in for someone and make the money to pay him in one day or spend four weekends doing something that im not good at (at a height that i dont care for). I do a lot of wiring for people that dont know where to start. I also redo a lot of work that people that think they know what they are doing do. That goes for shops to I get quite a few cars in from shops that have already spent to much time and dont have the knowledge to diagnose to hard stuff.

I know that all of you know everything that you need to know about how to build a car but a can guarantee that mnost of you are just scratching the surface.

will/did you pay someone to build your house? if you didn't does that mean you shouldn't have a nice house if you can afford it? i'm with JP on this one.

i know that if i had money to burn i'd have someone build me some s*** that i could/would never do myself, and i would love it.

Edited by lmwii

Also let me clarify a bit, it depends on the guys attitude. If he generally seems like he wants to learn, and is asking many questions about why part A compliments parts B , C and E but not D, asks what local tuner is trusted, or even asks for the help of locals, then my post stands.

Conversely, he could very well be the type to accept no criticism and offer nothing but boastfulness in regards to things he bought. Essentially buying the brand name while not understanding why certain parts should or shouldn't be used.

Either way, he clearly isn't a car guy if he didn't know an aftermarket existed for a frigging EVO. But at some point, each and every one of us started somewhere, someone taught us all and it would do us all a disservice to first ridicule someone before offering a hand.

If not to teach/learn, what the hell are car forums for?

Either way, he clearly isn't a car guy if he didn't know an aftermarket existed for a frigging EVO. But at some point, each and every one of us started somewhere, someone taught us all and it would do us all a disservice to first ridicule someone before offering a hand.

If not to teach/learn, what the hell are car forums for?

I do think though that some things you should do yourself.

Take my friend Jamil for instance, he owns an Evo8, and short of installing a K&N air filter, had NEVER worked on his car.

So, he bought a used downpipe, and was going to pay like $100 for a shop to do it.

I wouldn't allow it.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5392/19539303705178558623478.jpg

Took him almost 3 hours, while the rest of us were just giving him advice and or getting under there to point one what he needed and how he needed to go about it, and how we could tell. Beyond that, we were just kicking back drinking beers :D

A month later he installed an HKS catback on his own. Now, as a side thing, he'll do basic bolt on installs that ppl don't want to bother with for really cheap.