Proud new member of the 400hp club

Many thanks for sharing, I've read a lot of theory and done some timing but I still think I have much to learn. Given the size of the nitrous shot I'm surprised you only have to pull out two additional degrees. Since you have no detonation, does that mean the turbo timing is too conservative?

Scott

From what I have read and been told, basic nitrous timing adjustments are to pull out 1 or 2 degrees for every 50 HP. I'm sure my boost only timing is quite conservative, but what I did was dyno both boost only and nitrous on 5 gals of 92 octane plus a can of Torco to bring it up to approx 102 octane. When I run around on boost only on the 'non track tune', I just run straight 92 octane. So a little conservative on 102 may be just about right, or at least 'safe enough' on 92.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a strange way to tune ignition, it looks as if you put in the outside numbers and it just guesses for everything in the middle.

That is FIPS Ignition pro... you have your base timing per RPM range on the left and it pulls out by MAP readings and how much boost. It's certainly not like MS with the megasquirt and spark but it does the job and so far, I've had pretty good luck with it. Its relatively basic... but yeah, you put in the range, and it averages - kind of like the boxes in a VE table with less detail. You can pull up a 3d graph and it looks just like a 3d graph of a VE table, but the boxes are bigger and fewer.

Edited by Turbo_Addict

I too had a high power 2.6 on a spec 3 clutch. it seemed good then I pulled the tranny and it was really bad off. I had 3 springs broke and the surface of the flywheel was in bad shape I would at the very least pull the tranny and look. I was running slicks a lot so you might be all right if you have not done that. Good looking Numbers by the way!

• 2 weeks later...
just wonderin, but if you have an adjustable cam gear, couldn't you shift your powerband up a bit and make even high HP numbers?

Not sure - I thought that just allowed more adjustment on the timing, and since I adjust electronically, wouldn't that just be the same thing? I have never jacked with adjustable cam gears, never researched them, so don't know what benefit it would give me. Always looking at new angles though, I'll do some reading.

• 11 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=898933:date=May 27 2009, 12:32 AM:name=patra_is_here)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (patra_is_here @ May 27 2009, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=898933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just wonderin, but if you have an adjustable cam gear, couldn't you shift your powerband up a bit and make even high HP numbers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure - I thought that just allowed more adjustment on the timing, and since I adjust electronically, wouldn't that just be the same thing? I have never jacked with adjustable cam gears, never researched them, so don't know what benefit it would give me. Always looking at new angles though, I'll do some reading.

cam timing is not ignition timing...i betcha you can pull a lot more ponies outta yer set up with some cam timing...just watch out for valve overlap...BlueCook pulled 100 more horses outta a TBI car with just cam timing and the proper cam

Edited by notfried

BlueCook pulled 100 more horses outta a TBI car with just cam timing

not so simple.

First he had to get a properly ground camshaft..... instead of "assuming" a 'performance cam' actually performs (like most of us do). HUGE difference between the two.

VERY few sweat cam details as demonstrated on that car. It certainly paid off

Little to no G54 cam testing done, that is why there is sooo much negative feedback from cam installs.... especially by those who dyno'd before/after (substantial torque loss).

With these motors, its more miss than hit, because of that.

Russ wat the heck you been up to???leave it to you to bump up a yr old thread

keep up the good work....

been messin' with Harleys and diesels lately...gettin' ready to hopefully re-do the beige quest(hopefully for the last time...lol)

not so simple.

First he had to get a properly ground camshaft..... instead of "assuming" a 'performance cam' actually performs (like most of us do). HUGE difference between the two.

VERY few sweat cam details as demonstrated on that car. It certainly paid off

Little to no G54 cam testing done, that is why there is sooo much negative feedback from cam installs.... especially by those who dyno'd before/after (substantial torque loss).

With these motors, its more miss than hit, because of that.

i understand all this...what i am saying,and not just because of Drew's results(he was just a reference off the top of my head),is that CAM TIMING and IGNITION TIMING are two totally different animals...and after an engine has been built a couple times stock gears (cam&crank)are great paperweights because the more times you deck a block or mill a head the more the cam timing will be off.if you true it to "0"* you'll pull some more power out...then you can retard/advance a couple degrees for hp/tq curves...you'll even see a difference with a stock cam,that's all i'm saying...not that he can pull tons of power out just by setting the cam up correctly,but maybe some more power...better power curve...better response,ect...there are nothing but gains to be had

cam timing is not ignition timing...i betcha you can pull a lot more ponies outta yer set up with some cam timing...just watch out for valve overlap...BlueCook pulled 100 more horses outta a TBI car with just cam timing and the proper cam

Its SOHC. you cant change valve overlap. You cant change anything. Just advance everything or retard everything. I messed around with it on the dyno. Kinda acted like a volume knob more than anything. a couple degrees makes a huge difference!!