Authentic self knowledge

chiplee

I can type with both hands again fellas so the vacation is over. Do you think you've acheived authentic self knowledge and if not are you trying to. How are you trying to? What does the question mean to you? Are you critical of yourself and your opinions. This applies to everything we do so getting to the bottom of this question will make you better at everything, including working on your quest.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhh....

you totaly confused me....

but then you didnt...

at the same time...

Daniel

You do realize most people are not introspective, right? It's a foreign concept to many, and you can't teach it to most. As ain introspect myself, I've had to let go of my expectations of others on this subject, doing such has liberated me greatly.

I can type with both hands again fellas so the vacation is over. Do you think you've acheived authentic self knowledge and if not are you trying to. How are you trying to? What does the question mean to you? Are you critical of yourself and your opinions. This applies to everything we do so getting to the bottom of this question will make you better at everything, including working on your quest.

achive'd authentic self knowledge ,,, humm this is difficult to answer because who we "are" keeps changeing with each day of our lives

and as for you knowing who you are that answer only comes with test in fire ( or real life situations )

most are cridical of self only as in hind sight

most are creatures of habit :)

you into another awareness class or reading another book Chip

I can type with both hands again fellas so the vacation is over.

Bummer. It's been pretty quiet around here without you. :lol: By the way, why did you launch a personal attack on me when I was suspended????? Just jumping on the bandwagon because the moderators allowed you and several others to participate in it with immunity or did you think I would never be back??. Just curious. The moderators say that attacking another member are grounds for a suspension or a ban. What happened in this case?????? After all the moderators stress that the rules will not be broken.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Glad you have both hands back. Hope all is still well with the new gal.

I don't think anyone can ever "Totaly" know thy self. Some do a much better job then others but I don't think you could ever test yourself in every situation so you will never know for sure.

I try to by testing myself, can I make that jump, can I handle, understand, physicly, mentaly, emotionaly do this or that. Ex> Wondered how long I can tread water for so I tried it, gave up after about 2 hours :(

The question means to me. What are my limits, how much can I take / do physicly, mentaly and emotionaly.

Yes I am extremly critical of myself. My best is never good enough.

I do not think your question has a bottom. There could always be something new made or thought up that you have never done.

this is actually a reall good question, its making me think...alloot!!

if its in the general aspect then it makes you think about almost everything that youve done in:

life

relationships (friendly, personal, or family)

school

work

sports (if you were into that stuff, like for me, i play baseball and im always teaching myself new things and training to be better)

cars ( most of us can relate to this because we come on this forum to learn more and teach or preach new and better ways that we all have taught ourselfs about this car that we have.)

and i makes me think how ive criticized my self ill all of those aspects in life to better myself and become a better man as i grow older.

i can keep going but ill stop... but its a great question..im probably going to keep thinking about this all day haha

Daniel

Edited by dstar88

What does the question mean to you?

To me, it means having the capability to understand and convey to others your reasons for saying/doing whatever it is that you do.

Do you think you've acheived authentic self knowledge and if not are you trying to?

I believe that I have some 'self knowledge' pertaining to few specific aspects of life, but will never fully know why I do/have done some things.

How are you trying to?

I'm not really. Sometimes sh!t just happens.

Are you critical of yourself and your opinions.

I myself, try to be as honest as possible with my opinions. I don't over criticize them and generally 'shoot from the hip' if you will, as that's how I find that I can be most honest. Going back and 'editing' your opinion of something based on those that are listening only blurs your initial and true thought.

Being overly critical of yourself and your opinions will ultimately lead to self destruction, IMO, via a complete breakdown of actions and thoughts in a never ending search for perfection and omniscience.

Edited by dmyers151

To be serious about this

Achieved it? No. I will never fully achieve it I don't think. I believe the people closest to authentic self-knowledge have been those who are beyond selfless. Am I trying to? Of course - I myself always question at times why I do what I do. So far, I've just been analyzing myself, and asking for other peoples perspectives on how I act, and why I seem to do what I do in various scenarios.

To be simple on what it means, to me at least, it basically meant you were asking do you truly know yourself. Of course I'm critical of myself and my opinions, but it still will not stop me from saying and or doing what I will, bar from breaking the law or causing some serious hurt/offense to another person and or being - lest the situation was there where I had to.

Being overly critical of yourself and your opinions will ultimately lead to self destruction, IMO, via a complete breakdown of actions and thoughts in a never ending search for perfection and omniscience.

Hmmm I think that's what im doing. Only if I am destroying myself I don't see it yet. It does cause problems for me in the fact that I exspect this from others as well.

who pushes your buttons? do you know?

Bummer. It's been pretty quiet around here without you. :lol: By the way, why did you launch a personal attack on me when I was suspended????? Just jumping on the bandwagon because the moderators allowed you and several others to participate in it with immunity or did you think I would never be back??. Just curious.

I didn't care or know if you weren't around. It wasn't my day to keep track of your current ban status to know if you could defend yourself or not.

The moderators say that attacking another member are grounds for a suspension or a ban. What happened in this case?????? After all the moderators stress that the rules will not be broken.

CALIBER 308

I hope it's just favoritism because they like me more than they like you. But I suspect it's scewed perspective resulting in you pitying yourself, because you like you more than you like me.

Edited by chiplee

I didn't care or know if you weren't around. It wasn't my day to keep track of your current ban status to know if you could defend yourself or not.

You knew. I'm back now. Say the same things now as you said when I was gone. It's real easy to talk crap about me when the moderators are your buddies. Especially when your immune from their rules.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

You do realize most people are not introspective, right? It's a foreign concept to many, and you can't teach it to most. As ain introspect myself, I've had to let go of my expectations of others on this subject, doing such has liberated me greatly.

Yes I do realize that, but I also realize that it's very easy to think you are being introspective because you feel directly connected with your own thoughts and impulses, and it benefits you to accept them as viable and reasonable. Doubting oneself can have a paralyzing effect that gets in the way of day to day activities big and small, so it pays to trust yourself sometimes, right or wrong. It saves you time and energy and stress. It costs you time and energy and stress to question yourself and your motivations so it's worth asking people if they've considered that fact, or if they're just being selfish and lazy.

achive'd authentic self knowledge ,,, humm this is difficult to answer because who we "are" keeps changeing with each day of our lives

and as for you knowing who you are that answer only comes with test in fire ( or real life situations )

most are cridical of self only as in hind sight

most are creatures of habit :)

you into another awareness class or reading another book Chip

I read a good portion of several books while I was down but I didn't gain much new perspective on this particular subject. Again, every time I think I've stumbled on an "original thought" I try to find the books that have already been written about it. Usually I don't actually have much to add. When I feel like I have an original thought and I cannot locate a satisfactory book on the subject then perhaps I'll write one.

Glad you have both hands back. Hope all is still well with the new gal.

We're better every day. I will marry her. Thanks for asking.

I don't think anyone can ever "Totaly" know thy self. Some do a much better job then others but I don't think you could ever test yourself in every situation so you will never know for sure.

I try to by testing myself, can I make that jump, can I handle, understand, physicly, mentaly, emotionaly do this or that. Ex> Wondered how long I can tread water for so I tried it, gave up after about 2 hours :(

The question means to me. What are my limits, how much can I take / do physicly, mentaly and emotionaly.

Yes I am extremly critical of myself. My best is never good enough.

I do not think your question has a bottom. There could always be something new made or thought up that you have never done.

I was thinking less physical and more mental stuff but I agree that it applies to all aspects of our being. I'm concerned with the ego mind and the variation in our ability to overcome its influence. Many if not most humans simply embrace it as if it is correct and proper. They're victims of their evolutionary drive and impulse and they're proud of it. That makes us mental infants as a species, in my humble opinion.

To me, it means having the capability to understand and convey to others your reasons for saying/doing whatever it is that you do.

I believe that I have some 'self knowledge' pertaining to few specific aspects of life, but will never fully know why I do/have done some things.

I'm not really. Sometimes sh!t just happens.

I myself, try to be as honest as possible with my opinions. I don't over criticize them and generally 'shoot from the hip' if you will, as that's how I find that I can be most honest. Going back and 'editing' your opinion of something based on those that are listening only blurs your initial and true thought.

You know yourself better than most in my opinion and that is demonstrated by your willingness to admit you can't really know yourself. I think you can get close though, and I don't think you should expect self destruction if you're cautious.

I love you.

lol

who pushes your buttons? do you know?

Which buttons are you referring too? The question is just a touch vague. I have a good idea what pushes certain of my buttons, but I suspect you are referring to different buttons.

You knew. I'm back now. Say the same things now as you said when I was gone.

CALIBER 308

I sincerely do not remember what I said or care about what you thought of it. I did not know you were gone, but I wouldn't NOT have restrained myself if I had. If you were banned then you did not have the right to rebut things that were said about you. Boohoo. That's the price you pay for screwing up. We've both been there.

Now that your membership has been restored I highly recommend that you refrain from rehashing every trivial bone you'd like to pick from that time.

Edited by chiplee

Yes I do realize that, but I also realize that it's very easy to think you are being introspective because you feel directly connected with your own thoughts and impulses, and it benefits you to accept them as viable and reasonable. Doubting oneself can have a paralyzing effect that gets in the way of day to day activities big and small, so it pays to trust yourself sometimes, right or wrong. It saves you time and energy and stress. It costs you time and energy and stress to question yourself and your motivations so it's worth asking people if they've considered that fact, or if they're just being selfish and lazy.

Great thing about having the faith in believing in what you say and saying what you believe.Never have self doubt to interferre in my day to day thinking.

Not even sure why one would beat themselves up over something so trvial.Take a stand,be a man,grow a pair and do something than self analyze it to death. :hmm3grin2orange:

I sincerely do not remember what I said or care about what you thought of it. I did not know you were gone, but I wouldn't NOT have restrained myself if I had. If you were banned then you did not have the right to rebut things that were said about you. Boohoo. That's the price you pay for screwing up. We've both been there.

Now that your membership has been restored I highly recommend that you refrain from rehashing every trivial bone you'd like to pick from that time.

All I ask is that you repeat to me what you said during my absence. You said it. If you didn't mean it I will accept your apology now. After all, It wasn't me that attacked you.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Great thing about having the faith in believing in what you say and saying what you believe.Never have self doubt to interferre in my day to day thinking.

Not even sure why one would beat themselves up over something so trvial.Take a stand,be a man,grow a pair and do something than self analyze it to death. :hmm3grin2orange:

ok, you did a fine job of simply stating an opinion here so I'm going to offer a plain old rebuttal, free of insults.

There is one problem with "not beating yourself up over something so trivial". It's impossible to reach consensus when people of differing viewpoints refuse to "even consider" the merits of the opposition's opinion. You've essentially decided by default that opinions counter to yours are "trivial", which is fine, but what if someone who sees the world differently than you thinks your stance is "trivial" and not worth considering.

Opinions must therefore stand on merit alone. You argue your point. I argue mine, and we're honest with each other about who did a better job of getting close to the truth of the matter. Anything less is bound to leave us locked in a stalemate forever or killing each other.

War can't decide right and wrong though. It can only decide who's left. Whoever is left standing gets to make the rules and brute force becomes the only way to win an argument. If you can't see the need to modernize this stance then I sincerely want to help you see it. I see future wars stemming from rebelling against oppression, much like the war we fought for our independence. Failing in this will see the world destroyed by ignorance and selfish bullying, again, in my opinion.