Spherical Rotary Valve Head

I contacted the Coates International corparation about building a spherical rotary valve head for the 2.6 Quest engine this is the reply I recevied.                                                                                                                                   Dear Mr. Watson:

We received your email of June 2, 2004.  It would pose no problem whatsoever

for us to design a CSRV valve system for your 4 cylinder 2.6 liter

Mitsubishi engines.  We need your full physical mailing address and the name

of the company you represent and will forward two confidentiality agreements

for your signature, after which we will do a feasibility study of your

engine and give you a costing.

The most expensive engine is the first prototype, after which all components

can be stamped out and produced.  You will also need a Use License from

Coates International.  However, we will send you an information package as

soon as we get your physical mailing address.

Kindest regards,

Sincerely,

Sharon Dunn/Communications Manager

here is a link to the companys web site http://www.coatesengine.com

That's cool for performance and all.... but what happens when it comes time for a valve job when those quit sealing well......... There are so many reason on why I think a standard style valvetrain is better.  

Like the valve job thing, and where would you find parts for it? How stupid expensive will it be? Would there be different sized whatever you want to call those cylinder things for different applications, like say I wanted 600hp, I would need larger spheres than someone that really only wanted 350.

soon as they send me the information I will be able to answer any question anyone may have if I can't I will contact the company and get the info anyone might require ;)      

That's cool for performance and all.... but what happens when it comes time for a valve job when those quit sealing well......... There are so many reason on why I think a standard style valvetrain is better.  

Like the valve job thing, and where would you find parts for it? How stupid expensive will it be? Would there be different sized whatever you want to call those cylinder things for different applications, like say I wanted 600hp, I would need larger spheres than someone that really only wanted 350.

DOOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

I e-mailed them over a year ago and got the response quoted below. Must be that you represent a company that got you the positive response?

How sweet would that be!!!!!!!!!!  :o  :o  :o

February 12, 2003

To:                   MidNiteRide89@aol.com

Att:  Marc Buschnyj

Re:                   Turbo applications

Mr. Buschnyj, your February 5th email message was received, and it is a pleasure to hear from you.  Please give our best regards to the Mitsubishi Starion / Chrysler Club you represent.  However, CIL has not attempted to refit the 2.6L 4-cylinder turbocharged intercooled engine which you’ve inquired about.  Yes, it is likely that the company could refit this engine with the patented and worldwide-protected Coates Spherical Rotary Valve System, but the price would be extremely cost prohibitive for just a few engines.  Since our auto program is “on a temporary hold†so that all our resources can be dedicated to mating the CSRV system with a family of large industrial engines, your question about being able to rebuild the Starion engine is moot at this time.  About the only suggestion I can make is that you periodically visit website www.coatesengine.com to check on the postings which will inform the public of changes in our product development schedule.  We’d like to be of service to your group and perhaps sometime in the future the Starion engine might receive consideration, but that time is still over the horizon.  Thank you for contacting the Coates organization and please stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Dr. Richard Evans

Director

DRE: jmg

=================================

Justine M. Golden

Receptionist/Secretary

Coates International

2100 Highway 34 & Ridgewood Rd.

Wall Township, NJ   07719-9738 USA

Tel. #732-449-7717

Fax # 732-449-0764

e-mail: justineg@coatesengine.com

If I win the Lottery, I promise that I will fund the development of a SRV head for the quest.  Short of that, I don't see how this would be possible.  I don't even want to guess what the engineering/development cost for this would be.

NU-Tech, were they able to give you any type of a ball-park for a 4 cylinder head?  They must have some idea.

not yet waiting on paper work they want me to sign an aggrement saying I won'tsteal theretechnology    ;D

If I win the Lottery, I promise that I will fund the development of a SRV head for the quest.  Short of that, I don't see how this would be possible.  I don't even want to guess what the engineering/development cost for this would be.

NU-Tech, were they able to give you any type of a ball-park for a 4 cylinder head?  They must have some idea.

I will definitely keep my eyes on this, just in case I do win that jackpot.  I must admit that the idea has an immense "Wow" factor and their site does a great job of selling the concept.

One downfall is that a key benefit of the SRV head seams to be it's ability to scale up to very high RPM, something that I don't know how well our tired old long stroke motor can do.  Maybe with a destroke and some lighter rods and pistons, but then you're basicall redesigning the whole engine.  At that point I wonder if a swap might not just be a better solution.

Now, a 4g63 SRV head would certainly have a bigger market to sell to.  That might make me consider a swap.  ;D

Good luck!

Isn't Volkswagon using the sperical valves on there I-10 . It's a 10 cylinder engine with stagered cylinders they are almost side by side and it uses one head . The block is almost twice as wide as our blocks and is used in industrial applications. Now that would be a wild engine swap..

OOOOO

OOOOO   they are  spaced like this but closer

I received the Information pack the sent yesterday I haven't had time to go threw it yet but soon as I do I will post all the information from what I did see by quickly browsing over it there was no cost of production so i will have to look in to that but so far this dose look like it might really happen they are trying to play ball long as they give a realistic price not just for production but per unit  

hey, you guys this is great, but rotary valves have been around forever. they are in all rotax powered snowmobiles, and the origional company that designed them lost the rights to the patents or they expired or soemthing, and coates has their own set of patents.

well, what is stopping us from designing a different rotary valve system for our cars or all cars? i don;t get it. it's not a coates engine origional, so why pay them tons of cash for something you could do yourself for 10G's.

and honestly, that's not a bad number. i bet if you could get a casting place to build a mold for a head and used a slightly different setup than coates, you could get rich very fast.

well, that's my new plan :)

Aright sorry for the delay of any new information but I have been real busy lately. I have received all the paper work from the company plus some really good info bout the heads I have asked lizzord30 to post the images for me since i don't know how

• 3 weeks later...

I sent Nu-Tech a couple PM's about having Marnal/AMC make the DOHC cylinder head, but I guess he's not interested.

I have had contact with the owner of Marnal andall they are asking for in approximate volume so they can determine if they would want to go through the hassle of design and manufacture.  In my opinion, unless the other components are assigned manufacturers, there wouldn't be much volume.

If anyone else is interested in having Marnal/AMC make the DOHC head and has the ability to follow through with the rest of the package, let me know.  I think the cam design and timing would be the hardest part.  Designing the head to use existing parts such as the 3.0L DOHC 3000GT engine would be the best.