Dyno Run - 89conquest, 14G@15psi, 1G MAS, stock

barbercb

Run today in Houston 90 degrees out. I felt bad for my poor car, It was in the wrong hood as Houston performance is almost a mustang only shop.

1989 Conquest

14G @ 15 psi

1G MAS

2" hard pipe between MAS and Turbo

Stock the rest

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL285/1463190/2790088/34005301.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL285/1463190/2790088/34005295.jpg

Not a bad showing given the 90* temp! You're car would really benefit from a full mandrel bent 3" exhaust system.

I would install a 3" exhaust, TurboXS type H34 bypass valve and short throw shifter next... for under $650.

yeah, the bigger exhaust cools it off considerably, if your concerned about heat, there are a bunch of other things you can do like aluminum radiator, higher flow water pump, and stuff.  that's cool to see the charts, and it's awesome that these engines are such torquers and better yet, so low in the rpm band.   good job.

hey chromepuff where can you get a higher flow water pump for the Quest?
yeah, the bigger exhaust cools it off considerably, if your concerned about heat, there are a bunch of other things you can do like aluminum radiator, higher flow water pump, and stuff.  that's cool to see the charts, and it's awesome that these engines are such torquers and better yet, so low in the rpm band.   good job.

Right SAE denotes a correction factor.

That's a nice run on a 14G. I would be very happy with that. Nice smooth low end torque curves.

I seem to be seeing a pattern where the smaller compressor trims are keeping the curves consistent. My 20G dyno run looked nothing like that.

Can someone help me to put my last year's dyno test here? Just to compare.

I'll be doing another dyno test soon, probably in one week from now since I trouble shooted some problems I was having.

This dyno will be with a 16G at 20psi ( I blew my super 16G  :P ), 274 TEP cam, 1G MAS, 1 extra injector, Kelly's hard pipes, my 3 inch exhaust, E2315 pump and the spark box I'll be selling soon; BTW, the extra injector is controlled by this box; the manufacturer call's it MEG.

Non jet valve head, hydraulic, non ported, no balance shafts, TEP flywheel and racing clutch.

I'm aiming 250HP at the wheels. If I can get that I'll swap the turbo to a Super 50 (another item that I'll be selling ), adjust the extra injector and dyno again. Let's see what I can get!

Heron

Man, 194 hp, I've seen worse numbers then that on a 18g and stock motor.  YOu shoudl be happy with those numbers.  I wish I had of gotten my car dynoed with the 14g on it (before the MPI).  But it's to late for that now.

Ya the man did very well. That's one of the best dyno runs I've ever saw on a 14G.

Let's face it that 14G is not that much larger than a 12A.

Probalby making ~250'ish at the crank. Not shabby at all seeing a 12A puts out 137 WHP in stock form.

Like I said nice work on that setup barbercb  8)

Thank you very much! I think I'm the luckiest guy in the world with this car. The guy that hooked me up with it is kicking himself for not keeping it b/c his is still having problems. Luckily he has turned into one of my close new friends so the ribbing about it isn't taken to heart.

I don't know if all you know but my 14G injested it's rubber spacer for the boot and destroyed it's self. So I had it rebuilt to a 17C. now that Dyno chart is gunna be interesting to see. I have it on the car now and holy crap.........

Now I really wanna go out and get it dyno'd.  Im running a 14g @ 15 psi as well.

Don't get yourself down if you end up raising your TQ a lot but HP not so much.

A simple turbo swap does wonders to the TQ band but in somewhat stock form the HP is a lot harder to boot up.

Make sure you have fuel too obviously.  :o  ;D

Yeah I keep my eye on that orange light by the fuel guauge I heard when it comes on you are dangerously low on fuel, and with our cars being as old as they are they arent always acurate. Lucky for me where I live we have gas stations all around, so I'm usually never low on fuel.

Just kidding, I know what you are saying I watch the A/F meter close, and will be upgrading fuel pumps soon, along with a RRFPR hopefully.

First run:

super 16G turbo (eclipse 14B exhaust wheel slope grinded with big 16G compressor wheel)

non jet valve head with TEP's 274 cam, hydraulic

stock air can with K&N and holes on the can

stock AFS

aeromotive FPR

E2315 fuel pump

8 puck racing clutch and pressure plate with TEP's lightened flywheel

stock TB

TEP's down pipe and stock exhaust

manual boost controller dialled in all the way, stock boost gauge at 14 psi under boost

8.8mm spark plug wires

Second run:

same as above but took the TEP down pipe and stock exhaust off and put a 3 inch exhaust in; boost went up to 18 psi by itself

Next run / actual setup

regular 16G with 20psi of boost

Kelly's hard pipes

1G AFS

extra injector (used on monopoint cars in Brazil; alcohol, good for 180HP)

Mr. Gasket inline fuel filter/ 1/2 inch blue fuel hose from pump to extra injector then to TB

50mm TB

2 1/2 and 3 inch tubes from AFS to turbo

spark box (just like MSD but stronger) with boost retard that also controls the extra injector

accel yellow coil 140001

Car feels a lot stronger then before but you never know.

I'm guessing I have 250HP at this moment.

Regards,

Heron

Wow those are some serious gains by just swapping out the stock exhaust for 3in pipes! Just more proof that upgrading your exhaust is practically a requirement on these cars if you want to make decent power. I'm glad that was the first major mod I did on my car.

Wow those are some serious gains by just swapping out the stock exhaust for 3in pipes! Just more proof that upgrading your exhaust is practically a requirement on these cars if you want to make decent power. I'm glad that was the first major mod I did on my car.

exhaust is one major key. Good head porting, opening up the exhaust manifold and opening up the hot side on the turbo IMHO.

My motor breaths so much better now with the radical head porting and header/hot side turbo combination.

• 4 weeks later...