Just blew my head gasket and now I must

donavon james

replace it myself. sucks I just paid $167 for insurance last friday and 2 days later the gasket blows.

it's due to the constant up hill driving i must do to visit my girlfriend

I had a friend do the head gasket 2 years ago and looking at the directions now, i don't think he went

exactly by the book but the car worked just fine

it says in the pre-removal operation in the service manual to

- Remove residual pressure in fuel high pressure hose

and remove the air conditioner v-belt

i don't have the special tools needed in the directions for removing the residual pressure

and in the directions it says to turn the car on blahblahblah well when my friend did it 2 years ago the car wasn't running

and we had to get a new battery after he hooked everything back up and it started up

so does anyone have any tips going in to this

i watched him do it last time so i have a pretty good idea of what i'm doing

does anyone have a link to a head gasket and everything else i need, online?

thanks,

donavon

Remove residual fuel pressure by by removing the the fuel rail. If you haven't been driving for a few hours the pressure will already be low and shouldn't spill more than 3 ounces fuel. You are going to get pretty messy doing this. expect some oil, coolant, and fuel spillage. Nothing some rags can't clean.

just a question, but why would driving uphill cause you to blow a head gasket?

ever walked or ridden a bike up a hill? Ever ridden a bike down a hill? Sorry, this just seems so intuitive I'm having trouble coming up with an explanation that doesn't sound condescending. Gravity works against your engine the same way it works against you. This causes an increase in load and that can be more than an old tired engine can handle. Hills and boost really don't mix.

I shouldnt complain because I was being condescending as well.... lol . My point is its not driving up hill that causes the headgasket to blow, but other factors like maybe pushing the car to hard up those hills, most likely with other problematic issues. Theres tons of reasons that could have contributed to it, but if the engine and everything was sound you could drive it uphill as much as you want. Sorry, this is getting of the actual topic and I was being an a**.....

Good Luck getting her fixed man, thats a bummer for sure...

Edited by chief34

you can unplug the fuel sending line at the throttle body and let fuel spill all over, and it will have nothing to do with how the headgasket is installed.

You may want to get the head checked for flatness. If you do that, you have to take it to a machine shop.

Or, you can get a new gasket, carefully scrape off the old gasket material from the block AND head, and reinstall it. Be sure to drain the coolant before doing any work on it. You may want to buy new stock headbolts. You can get them from a mitsubishi dealership or from Randy at www.enginemachineservice.com

Good luck. If you have more questions, post 'em up.

Not trying to be rude, but you said your friend didnt follow the factory specs... mabye thats part of why your doing this again 2 years later lol...

Post up your location up theres probably a quester nearby that could help out.

Oh and Chris the guy that did my gasket 2 years ago probably knew what he was doing he has a conquest himself he is on here.

He said he has an $8,000 motor and that he's rebuilt the car plenty of times so I trusted him.

I abused the car here and there (went 1 year 6 mo w/o my license in that time so i didn't drive the car)

but yeah it held up this whole time until I started driving it to my girlfriends house (within the last 2 months or so)

San Jose is relatively flat unless you drive on it's surrounding hills, I have to drive up Silver Creek Valley Rd. That drive is hell for this car.

Well i'm located in south San Jose, CA

Just a minute off Bernal Rd from 101 or 85.

I don't think i'll be able to get the gasket till Monday anyway

thanks for the advice.

hmm..i know were that is. im going on vacation in about a week or so. maybe when i get back i can head over there with some norcal quest friends and help you out. thats if your not done by then. although im still learning about these cars too ive already done a head/head gasket swap as well. and like someone said, its really not that hard. its just the time and effort to get it done. took me and my buddy a good 8 hours at his shop to get it done on my car.

Daniel

while you can do the head r/r the MOST important thing to do is have a machine shop check and resurface the head if nessarry and i can 99% guarranty you it will need it,, also as mention'd most likely the gasket was never retourqe'd the other time

absolutely do not remove the head and just replace the gasket,, and your going to need more then just a head gasket , so just get a head set from Dad

last time i saw any quality head gasket sell for $15 was 35 yrs ago

you will gewt what you pay for ;)

Yeah, I have mountain passes all around me. It would be insane to boost all the way up them. I let the torque do the work and keep it in a low enough gear to pull up the hill off of boost. Actually, 4th gear will pull up the passes off of boost and still be above the speed limit. Then it stays cool too. Of course I like to play with the boost uphill some too! The most competition I have it seems are those souped up diesel pick up trucks. Man, they can fly up passes on boost! They are so heavy that they handle well around the corners too. They stick to the road a lot better than I thought they could. I raced one coming back over Monarch pass one time. I had to stay boosting to keep ahead of him.

hmm..i know were that is. im going on vacation in about a week or so. maybe when i get back i can head over there with some norcal quest friends and help you out. thats if your not done by then. although im still learning about these cars too ive already done a head/head gasket swap as well. and like someone said, its really not that hard. its just the time and effort to get it done. took me and my buddy a good 8 hours at his shop to get it done on my car.

Daniel

well I haven't done anything to my car yet

I get paid tomorrow morning and i'm hoping to have enough to get what I need done

the gasket came in and I bought sealant.

now how much do you think its going to cost to resurface the head?

i'll find out tomorrow.

thanks, Donavon

well I haven't done anything to my car yet

I get paid tomorrow morning and i'm hoping to have enough to get what I need done

the gasket came in and I bought sealant.

now how much do you think its going to cost to resurface the head?

i'll find out tomorrow.

thanks, Donavon

correction*** i got most of the stuff out of the way but i havent got down to the headgasket yet. I might start that tomorrow