head work headache

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Helicoil-sp...1QQcmdZViewItem

Tell them to go fruck their self that's what I'd do. You can get a pick and pull that old helicoil out its like a spring then put in a new one it can't be that bad. Sounds like it was poorly done the first time and the plug came out and took part of the helicoil with it

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

na substock did a good job but the bottom of the insert was cracked and they had to take it out. they told me it came out in peices. then they told me they have a better insert than the one substock sent with the head. i said whatever and they said theyd do it and call me. all im sayin is that they better not mess my head up or charge me anything outragious. Edited by BrokenquestTSI

ok got my marnel back. looks good actually. heres a few pics....

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/brokenquesttsi/100_1139.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/brokenquesttsi/100_1141.jpg

it was only 105 and i guess that guy was just a d^%%k.

Edited by BrokenquestTSI

Hey bro, I didn't know you had them put the cam in for you. 105 is a great deal, if that's the case. Besides... like I said.. there is no reason why R&Ring a helicoil would cost more than 60-120 bucks. Hell, the shop that installed a nutsert in my supercharger case only charged me like 40 bucks.

If they would have welded and re-tapped, I would have been pissed. I would bet you dollars to donuts that your average machine shop would not be able to do that correctly for it to last. Regardless of how much it cost.... it would have been a bad idea.

Anyhow.... congrats!

Edited by TurboSportTSi

hey thanks. now im gonna try to get the engine back together and wait for that turbo situation to have a solution. (and money of course)

glad you finally got that back.

what type of insert did they put in there for you?

the KD Tools one is what DAD told me to pick up

glad you finally got that back.

the KD Tools one is what DAD told me to pick up

Hey man, I just wanted to thank you again for a smooth transaction and a great price. Hopefully my brother's quest is up and running soon because of it. :)

+rep

Dont forget to take out the Jet valve adjusters.

it isnt right the way it is? i dont know how its supposed to look. i thought the way they have it in the pics was fine?

I beleive thats the one they used that DAD told you to get. im not sure. and yeah thanks alot for your help man. im happy. :)

it isnt right the way it is? i dont know how its supposed to look. i thought the way they have it in the pics was fine?

No. Its the adjusters that are screwed into the rocker arms for the jet valves which you dont have anymore.

Just screw them out, they have no use and you dont want one to come loose in your engine, and since there is nothing to adjust them to, and the shop left them in, I would go on the assumption that they didnt even touch them and they might be loose anyway, and since you have to check to make sure they are not loose, just take them out.

There can't be any, ANY, left over material on the head or the block NONE, only bare metal, how about some gloves? Now, if you have head bolts or ARPs you only very lightly rub some oil on the threads then hold them in a rag and twist most of it all back off. You do not want to stick bolts down in the head dripping with oil or all gooey some some lubricant cause all it will do it ooze into the cracks under the gasket and ruin your seal as the bolt is turned. The head bolt holes in the block must be clean, and NO rust at all and before you put the head on using only your FINGERS you must MUST be able to totally screw the bolt/stud in COMPLETELY until it bottoms out in the block do this for every hole, if you can't you must clean those threads (old used tap / thread chaser ) if you do not your torque readings will be WAY off. If there is any liquid in the holes it must be removed, as you tighten the bolts down that liquid will either seal in and prevent you from turning the bolt and give a false torque reading or it will all come up around the threads again RUINING your head gasket seal as it oozes into the crack above and below the head gasket. If you use the felpro 8770pt, just oil the threads and both sides of the washers then torque it down to 100-110ftlbs in 3 or 4 stages and DO NOT re-torque it. Edited by Indiana

Like this?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/brokenquesttsi/000_0083.jpg

And this is what my block looks like as of now. The scraper wont take all of it off. what should i use? idk.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/brokenquesttsi/000_0085.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/brokenquesttsi/000_0084.jpg

if you have use'd a scraper on the block in that last pic,,i'd sugest you get a diff gasket scraper ,,a single edge'd razor blade scraper will work very well , the trick with any gasket scraper is it has to be VERY sharp and straight edge'd , and a dry wall puty knife is not a gsket scraper ;)

yeah i used a straight blade gasket scraper. i was just afraid to scrap too hard cuz i dodnt want to scratch the block. how much is brake kleen? Also, the scraper sometimes scrapes old gasket into the head olt holes....should i just use a q-tip or somethin? Edited by BrokenquestTSI

scrape away from the water holes, the bolt holes you can blow into with a straw and get that back out, use that scrub pad on a piece of wood to get a flat surface instead of finger tips

dull razor blades scratch, keep them sharp and cleaned off, they sell gasket remover you spray on and let soak, its about like carb cleaner though just doesn't evaporate as quick

a little wire brush on a dremel will clean up the bolt threads in the block, rinse them then twist a heavy paper towel down in them to absorb that cleaner

it will shine when all that gasket is gone

scrape away from the water holes, the bolt holes you can blow into with a straw and get that back out, use that scrub pad on a piece of wood to get a flat surface instead of finger tips

dull razor blades scratch, keep them sharp and cleaned off, they sell gasket remover you spray on and let soak, its about like carb cleaner though just doesn't evaporate as quick

a little wire brush on a dremel will clean up the bolt threads in the block, rinse them then twist a heavy paper towel down in them to absorb that cleaner

it will shine when all that gasket is gone

You Go indiana !!!

Right on - perfect advice!

Dad