People of the starquest community lend me your ears (vid)

Jest3r

Hello, i was wondering if you can take a look at the video and tell me what you think. The ticking i told is to be the lifter but i am unsure.. when i went to go start the car the other day there was white smoke coming out of the tail pipe ( shown in video ) and when i pulled the dipstick there was white foam on the dipstick and well as steam and the same white foam coming from the oil cap itself. I checked the cap and dipstick again this morning and it seemed to be good as new.. the mechanic that worked on car said he had replaced the head gasket so i am unsure where there is a problem below is the link for the video hopefully it works if not you can find it under youtube the keyword was starion.. if you can help me out that would be great thanks!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b4nNBSAYo1I

Edit: a link to my first post, this has all the info i might have left out

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72161

seams like the same thing mine was doing when the head gasket was bad..did you smell the exhaust?? does it have sort of a sweet smell to it...

if the head gasket was replaced you may have a craked head..depending on were the head is craked coolent will seep in the combustion chamber..

also theres a gasket were the intake manifold connects to the throttlebody. if the car has been sitting for quite a while you may want to get a tb rebuild kit and replace all the stuff for the throttlebody, if that gasket is bad coolent will seep into the intake and in the combustion chamber.

try doing a compression check., if everything is stock from what it looks like in the video then you should see numbers at around 120-125 psi.. in each cylinder..i think...at least thats what my #s were..

and for the ticking i think thats normal, the rockers are self adjusting,..mine does that to with new stock lifters, but decreases when the car warms up more.

i hope this helps..

Daniel

As dumb as it might sound, try loosening the front valve cover bolt and see if the sound goes away.

ohh yea that too :lol:

I had the same problem after replacing my stock head with a Marnal njv head with new hydraulic lifters, but with new lifters it took me a good 10mins drive to get the ticking to go away, which in fact was replacing the air in the lifters with oil. Some people usually soak the lifters in diesel to bleed out the air but that still doesn't get rid of all the air, thus the exaggerated ticking on startup after a rebuild.

White foam in the oil...oil and filter change. Too much moisture got into the oil..change it.

With a new head gasket...I'd make sure the TB base gasket was changed. You'll need the one that already has sealant on it.

If the lifters were replaced and were not flled/ soaked in oil and assembly lubed before install....they'll make noise. Once they fill the noise should fade.

Could also mean the rocker shafts are in the wrong way so the oil holes are not properly aligned.

ok how about the whole story,,did a shop do the work and did they return the car to you sounding like that ,,and how long has the engine actualy been run sence it was togather this time ,,

does it have hyd lifter or solids was the oil change'd befor the engine was restart'd after the gasket replace,,, this has been ask'd befor with no answer

heya Shelby, i know the question was asked before, however i felt the BS forum was not the place to discuss this so i made a new post and i added some content (the vid) now on to questions!

ok how about the whole story,,did a shop do the work and did they return the car to you sounding like that

yes i had a guy who is by no means familiar with these cars, but overall a damn good mechanic work on my car. And yes he did return the car to me sounding like that, however he said that he "was sure the ticking would go away".

and how long has the engine actually been run sence it was togather this time

about 30 miles, these were on test drives NOT done by me i also started the car up 4 times.

1. the first night i had it

2. the second night

3. the following morning (that is when the white smoke/white in the oil was noticed)

4. a quick start up to get on video

does it have hyd lifter or solids

still learning these cars! it is stock so you will know :lol:

was the oil change'd befor the engine was restart'd after the gasket replace,,, this has been ask'd befor with no answer

the oil was changed AFTER the head gasket replacement this i know. what i do not know is what steps were taken in deciding weather the head was in fact still good.

i can give you all some more info on monday when i can talk to the shop again and if i have not explained something properly let me know! just yell at me alot i have thick skin :)

the exact quote from the bill is

"replace valve cover gasket set to eliminate oil leak onto motor"

i hope this helps... oh and i also got a lazer temp gun and aimed it at the engine near where the plugs are 180F and rising, needless so say i dont think im going to run it again till i get this figured out :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
I think i figured out how to do thiis.. You should call up the place and start drop kicking.. or if anything i can do ti ^.^ yaya posts! sense they deleated my other posts im telling you we should over take my backyard and build a garage with a engine lift, a big stero system ^.^ that would be sick but yes im going to wonder back to sinfield, we will some how fix the valves in the engine.. probbably have to fix alot of the things that contribute to that.. I would deffiantly invest in a new gas tank.. i wouldn't run it with that much rust in it.. if they scraped it out or not.. i can call up BGR and ill talk to nancy and we can have a gas tank putting on party ^.^ now im just rambling.. because im tired.. eh.. check out my cow picture!!! looks like amber!! :hmm3grin2orange: THE SMILlIES MOVIE!! COOL!!

you actually paid someone to change a valve cover gasket? your head is cracked sorry or it was a total hack fob replacing the head gasket and those 30 miles or testing driving was done and they drove the crap out of it and its blown again, stay away from that shop you need to start over, first thing is to STOP running an engine with water in the oil your noises is all the ruined washed out from the water bearings, that motor needs a complete rebuild now and I bet a new head, sorry

I was trying to get the guy to look at it more because he was telling him to drive it drive it.. and look what happend... there was no white foam on the dip stick when i looked at it again. rebuilding the engine is probbably a good idea, he, meaning the mechanic is " still looking" for things i prefer that chris just tow it back to his house or mine so we can start the rebuild... it was running fine untill i pulled up into the driveway and then it was like a crack..well more like a crunch which i thought was the heads but that crunch was the result of the valuves themselfs... which im pretty pissed about.. I am not to familiar with starions or conquests.. but i do know a thing or two about cars and this is going to be a pain in the butt.. sense the engine was sitting for 20 years could the valves had been shot in the first place? hense the rough idling that we were experencing.. i just feel really bad because he shouldn't have seen the repair guy because i knew this was going to happen.. and yes sadly we paid someone to change the head gasket..

sense the engine was sitting for 20 years could the valves had been shot in the first place?

Yes, alot of thing can go bad by sitting that long. Where are you located? If you are near another StarQuest owner maybe one of us could look at it.

we are located in western Ma... which as far i know is a wasteland with maybe a couple starquests and no knowledge of this car at all.. if i ever move down south ill be in SQ heaven!

collapsed lifter. my guess

well the lifter when the guy had the car running it was a fast clicking sound.. he said it was the lifter and that ""it should"" clear up.. it could be differnt with these cars.. but with normal lifter the clicking would go away after like a min if it was going to clear up.. lol knowing our luck that went along with the valuves.. lol :eek1bluegreen:

Wow very confusing.

So was the head gasket or the valve cover gasket or both replaced by the mechanic?

Whats the current condition? Just ticking and a rough idle? The valves went crunch???????

I will say white smoke at start up is normal specially when its been sitting and its cold out.

And a ticking/bad lifter is pretty common too.

Let me get this straight, car sat for 20 years without once being run, then only the head gasket and valve cover gasket were replaced.

Not surprised it's ticking....and probably getting worse instead of better.

I would think the noise is one or more valves floating/ bouncing due to weak valve springs from sitting compressed all those years. Probably has a good bit of crud in the oil passages too.

This engine from sitting that long needs a rebuild.

If you'd like to save as many internal parts as possible to be reconditioned and reused...do NOT run it anymore.

The "crunch" was probably a dropped valve or spring breakage. A lifter collapse is possible as well. Doesn't take that much crud to block valve train oil, no oil, parts are damaged beyond repair in most cases.

Good luck

Wow very confusing.

So was the head gasket or the valve cover gasket or both replaced by the mechanic?

Whats the current condition? Just ticking and a rough idle? The valves went crunch???????

I will say white smoke at start up is normal specially when its been sitting and its cold out.

And a ticking/bad lifter is pretty common too.

The current condition of the car.. the guy replaced the head gasket, scraped rust from the bottom of the gas tank, pretty much the list is on the first post that he put up on this forum...i was driving it around the ticking was increasing as the car accelerated the mechanic said that it would clear up which i figured it would not.. I pulled into the driveway and there was what sounded like a can being crunched.. and the engine just shut off seemed like it was seized.. we had it towed back to the guy and he said the valves were messed up and he is still looking at it .. im not sure why. all the details were posted before but the forum deleted some posts due to the site changeover. the car is pretty much a paperweight at the moment.. i hope this clears up any confusion.