T3-T04 possible??

I was set on a 16G but this local guy i know has put T3-T04 turbos on a few of his quests... going against what ive read and know im asking to figure out if this is doable..

Does anyone have a T3-T04 on a stock TBI setup?? if so what boost are you running?? what trim sizes???

What rpm does the turbo actualy spool up on?? Alot of turbo lag???

Thanks guys

sams right

t3/t4 leaves a lot of choices... from 500cfm to over 1000 cfm

the main thing for you to figure out is finding the hotside in the .58 to .63 ar range for a TBi car. 50 to 60 trim on the cold side will suit you best and as far as your boost levels... That always user beware and somethign you need to figure out.

It's been succesfuly done by several membrs on TBI, but most end up upgrading further to MPI because the TBI limitations hold the turbo back too much.

Back in 1999, I ran a T04B wtih a V-trim compressor wheel and O trim turbine in a .58 housing, I was spooling by ~2900-3000, and full boost came in arround 3200. I was able to run this to about 19 PSI before the TBI limitations kept me from advancing further. I used the same tubo on an MPI setup in about 2002 and easily picked up 70+ HP. A S16G on MPI will keepup with or even out perform a T-3/4 on a TBI setup.

I'd say that you should get the t3/t4 for now. You can upgrade other parts to match it later, but get something that will be flexible for the future. So, get a bigger exhaust housing like .82 rather than the small ones. Spoolup might be decreased a bit, but you will be ready for MPI later.

You can buy a nice cast manifold from ebay and it bolts right up, but needs a custom downpipe made.

I just installed one of those cast manifolds and it rocks, cant complain about a lifetime guarantee either. I also agree go big or go home on the turbo, you want to make more HP for less money get a Garrett setup there is just way more options for the money. I'm going to try a 1.15A/R t3 in a few days lol i will let you guys know how it spools.

i have a hybrid T04b in the S-trim variety. it's like a Super 16g. i'm very very happy with it. plus, it's in the stock housing so it looks like a 12a. :wink:

Truth

is that a stock 12A turbo with an S-trim compressor wheel fited ?

Who built the turbo ?

yes. they had to machine out the housing to allow the bigger wheel of course, but yes it is in the stock housing. with the stock "hot" wheel too, except it's been clipped 15 degrees.

Just drove my car with the new split tangential t3 1.15A/R on the hot side... NOT TOO BIG its really not even that laggy i have full boost around 3k. The motor also loves to rev now, thats funny lol. :shock:

I saw a few on Ebay for under $1K, and yes, they were made famous on Nissans. great street turbo that will make 250+ RWHP at low daily driven pump gas boost levels.

They seem to varry in inlet pattern, try to find one with a T-3 incase you later want to upgrade.

disco is a hyped up overpriced overrated pos.

spools up ~200 rpm faster than a t28, 500< than a used $100 T360

$500 evoIII 16g comparable response, but.... turn up the boost to 25-30psi and it blows the disco away- proven 400+hp & 400+tq on several 11sec heavy 2L DSMs. 20g > e16 > b16

One of the best all around "small turbos" out there, no hype needed.

Truths' "moded 12A" is as close to a 'small bolt-on t3/t04B' turbo as you'd probably find.

to my knowledge no one has ever done 11's and only a couple have done 12's on a 16-G powered G54B. As far as I know, the ones that did 12's used NOS, that DSM comparrison is not a good refrence to how well turbo "X" will perform on a G54B motor.

Perhaps a GT-30. There are 100's of choices in this power range. and forevery one who loves turbo "X", you'll find someone who hates it.

disco is a hyped up overpriced overrated pos.

spools up ~200 rpm faster than a t28, 500< than a used $100 T360

$500 evoIII 16g comparable response, but.... turn up the boost to 25-30psi and it blows the disco away- proven 400+hp & 400+tq on several 11sec heavy 2L DSMs. 20g > e16 > b16

One of the best all around "small turbos" out there, no hype needed.

Truths' "moded 12A" is as close to a 'small bolt-on t3/t04B' turbo as you'd probably find.

I agree, I think a Evo 16G would be an awsome upgrade with its twin scroll and isnt it ball bearing? Maybe thats just an option I saw somewhere.

Just look at Pagemo, Kev_rm, Kronus, and Indiana. They all run adapted DSM turbos and had great success! Well, except for pagemo...... I dont think that was turbo related though.

but the twin scroll benifits only come from a twin scroll (devided) manifold, we would have to engineer something to make that work on the G54B. It's well within reason to do so, but no one has done it, and thus it won't be a cheap parts swap.

The twin scroll doens't flow better, it just spools faster.

Just drove my car with the new split tangential t3 1.15A/R on the hot side... NOT TOO BIG its really not even that laggy i have full boost around 3k. The motor also loves to rev now, thats funny lol. :shock:

What compressor and what's full boost, 12 psi ?