New header

heefner

You should have plenty of room for the compressor. Is this home made or did you have some one build it for you? Either way I like the longer tube desing. Looks like stainless. 304, 316 or 321?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not trying to be rude. its a very nice header and quality of work looked just as good. I am just saying, there is nothing to hide. it was others who said copying was the reason to remove pictures.

• 2 months later...

Nice pics Heef!! it just gave me an idea how it would look like on mine :D the only biggest challenge for me now is the downpipe and how did you had it fabricated ? do you have it done in a shop?Going to a muffler shop would be quite impossible for me I'm mostly gonna be doing mine at the garage and driving w/o the downpipe to the shop and the midsection hangin?... nice :lol: I also noticed you don't have the o2 sensor bung welded .... you had it placed all way down as per AEM? in fact i also got them.

PS: The location of the nipple on your compressor is interesting would it matter if it's installed at the end of the housing? :? where you have it though looks more stable :wink:

Joe

I bought a modular section of 3" stainless pipe with a v-band on each end from www.atpturbo.com Then I cut and welded my old down pipe to match up. I have a welder at home.

I don't think the boost port on the turbo makes any difference where its located. That's how my compressor came from Precision.

I welded in a bung down low on the flat part (after the down section of the downpipe) to keep it as far from the turbo as possible. The less heat the better. You can mount the 02 sensor in the muffler if you want as long as you aren't running cats it will make zero difference.

id like to take a minute and thank you heefner

youve been telling and showing the results of your work and "trial and error" for a long time now..

It is very appreciated man

oh and mingo... do your thing man!!!

Monty

id like to take a minute and thank you heefner

youve been telling and showing the results of your work and "trial and error" for a long time now..

It is very appreciated man

oh and mingo... do your thing man!!!

Monty

Think nothing of it. If I can save somebody the headache and a few bucks by learning from my mistake its the least I can do.

Heef's always an asset to the community and not to mention his well built engine :D it's like man how many times he's been in the track and probably countless dyno runs :shock: .... i would'nt even dare goto a dyno right now i might $h1t bricks... something might blowup :lol:

in fact i ordered the modular pipes from atp last night i would not have known they make this stuff on v-clamp makes it more easier to fab. didn't mean to be a copycat bro :D you're sort of a guide to us hehe.

ps i ordered the long neck 90 deg this should be it right?

....all i need now is a welder ....hmmm now i need a different community for that.. say my niegborhood :wink:

Joe

It's a 3/8-16 thread, you can use grade 8 bolts from any hardware store. On the bung, use a steel pipe plug, 1/8" NPT.

Thanks Chad I'm actually gonna use the egt bung and i'm still looking for an ss 1/4-1/8npt compression fitting for it any place or site that sells it...been looking everywhere :( ...i

ps:im also gonna use 3/8 studs instead ..and still looking too.... anyway the bolts should be the last resort.

Joe

are you talking about the adapter that comes on a autometer (or other brands ?) EGT probe? Is it 1/8" NPT male on one end, and 1/8" compression on the other? the type that clamps onto the stem of the probe itself when you tighten it down?

If you are just looking to cap it, those steel (galvanised) plugs are pretty eacy to find and any place that sells plumbing parts, maybe 60 cents or so, just don't use brass.

yeah that's the one :D but the probe comes in 3 sizes 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4the latter w/c i need w/ 1/8 npt I have the autometer there's a few sites that has it but the ss so far was for a 3/16 only Anyway i'lljust get the non-ss one if need be. ...sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread heef .

PS your manifold is excellent pics soon :P

JOe

hey joe if you need stainless welded let me know i got the weld loaded with stainless wire

thanks dave i already have a welder by westbury called accurate welding excellent place :D long time no talk how's your's doin'? me and jayton might meet up soon i'll let you know

• 1 month later...

I'VE GOT 1 QUESTION? WHERE ANY OF CHADS OR ANYBODY ELSES HEADERS HEAT TREATED? MORE THAN LIKELY NONE OF THEM WHERE.

thats why they crack. i have worked in machine shops, fab shops, and even with boeing aircraft. stainless that will be exposed to heat was always heat treated, even titanium.

no heat treat will 99% of the time produce a crack somewhere on the product, no matter how much you stress relive the product.

heat treating is simple and doesnt cost very much to do if you have a bulk order to treat.

the primary reason they crack is because they are subjected to extreme temperature varriants and fast heat/cool cycles. Even if you relived built up stresses from the manufacture process, these stresses will just re-occur from the cyclical temperature abuse the headder goes though in normal opperation.

This thing is constantly heat treated. The more you use it, the harder it gets, but eventualy it will become brittle and that will cause it to fail.

The only way to truely prevent cracking is to use a material that has a solution temp that is higher than the max opperating temp, like Inconel.

depending on the material 1400-1800, so yah, about that high Heefner. it varrys from alloy to alloy, but in that range.

I thought aobut it, even got a kiln that will do it, but it's just going to loose whatever I do to the first time you get it hot. same for cryo treating, if we kept them under the solutin tepms, it would work, but we don't :twisted: .

Inconel would work, that will stay treated to something like 1950.