New header

heefner

How hard would it be to convert a header from a Mitsu flange to a Garret or whatever flange? I not sure that I'll stay happy with the 20g-06 if I keeping hearing that I can get more from a different setup. I'm going to go with a exhaust header with the rebuild. And I don't want to spend $400+ on a header that I will evenually not be able to use anymore.

If I were in your place and not wanting to spend a lot of $$$ at once, I would get the header built with a T3 flange and use an exhaust housing from a syclone/typhoon. Then if you decide to go garret later, you don't have to modify the header. The sy/ty housing flows a lot better than the stocker. At least that's what I did :)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA0MjY1NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

ADAM

Now THAT'S what i call a real a 20G! 8)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were in your place and not wanting to spend a lot of $$$ at once, I would get the header built with a T3 flange and use an exhaust housing from a syclone/typhoon. Then if you decide to go garret later, you don't have to modify the header. The sy/ty housing flows a lot better than the stocker. At least that's what I did :)

ADAM

I did not now that was possible, I think I will do that. Does a Sy/Ty housing work with a stock downpipe, WG and everything? Or are there some other mods that I'd have to do?

TopDawg_43~

Oops, I guess I should have mentioned that. The downpipe flange for the sy/ty is a little smaller and is clocked different. I had to search around a little to find a flange that would fit. I also had to do some additional modification to the downpipe because the header I built moved the turbo back a few inches. My exhaust is the old CNM 3" that didn't have the seperate downpipe, so I put some 3" flanges at the bottom of the downpipe so if I ever have to do this again for a new turbo, I can just unbolt the downpipe and modify it instead of pulling the whole exhaust off again. If I wasn't 3000+ miles away I'd send some pics so you can see what I'm talking about. It definately took some fabrication but at least I'm ready for an upgrade if I choose to do so. PM me if you have any more questions and good luck!

ADAM

I forgot to include that the sy/ty turbine housing is internally gated like the stock housing. I made the stock wastegate actuator work, but I think the sy/ty actuator would be better. I bought one from substock but didn't have a chance to put it on before I left.

ADAM

I'm pretty sure my header is going to move the turbo, so I expected to have to deal with that. But where the best place to go to find a flange for the downpipe?

I found one at the third exhaust shop I stopped at. It was on their "misc parts" peg board. I think a 2.5" header collector is close, but the flange probably isn't thick enough to handle it. I would find a sy/ty forum and ask those guys where they get them.

ADAM

I found one at the third exhaust shop I stopped at. It was on their "misc parts" peg board. I think a 2.5" header collector is close, but the flange probably isn't thick enough to handle it. I would find a sy/ty forum and ask those guys where they get them.

ADAM

PM sent

If you are asking me, the wastegate fits. Its close quarters but I can still get to everything I need. I haven't had much time to work on it but I did get the charge pipe welded up.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTE1MjgxMTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

and here is a pic of the collector

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTE1MjgwNTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Chad did some nice work on this thing.

On a side note, I tried to get off cheap making the hard pipe for the air filter from an ebay cold air intake from a 88-89 crx. I paid $35 bucks thinking it would be 3" aluminum mandrel bends I could cut up and re weld to make fit. Turns out its only 2.75" :cry: Anyone have a good supplier for 3" aluminum bends??

I got a set of (6) 90*'s on ebay for ~$100, search intercooler tubes or pipes, there is a vendor that sells them in every size imaginable in thier ebay store. All are mandrel bends and polished. I don't think you can get less than 3 though. I got my set with the desings to only use 4 or 5 so I'll have atleast 1 spare, do you just need one?

I probably wont even need 1 whole 90. The problem I was hoping to get around by using the crx intake is that I only need partial bends and when you cut and reweld a sectioned 90, one side is 1/16th thick and the other is streched to 1/32nd. It makes it a complain to weld back together. Thanks for the info. I'll see what I come up with with that search.

• 1 month later...

The quality and workmanship look great on it.

We at the Z car side had SFP make a small run of headers for our turbo vehicles. All I can say is if you care to, read the posts about SFP, they werent very well crafted and fitment was always an issue.

That is a great looking header, and I like what the owner said, the engine bay is not a decorative bathroom.

How much more true could that statement be.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t...ight=SFP+header

J-Taylor had a SFP header, It was horrible. The Flange had rust pits all in it and it would not come CLOSE to bolting up. He sent it back to them and months later he gets it back and it STILL would not fit. If you could maybe get with James Thagard @ www.speedshopthagard.com He might help out in the header dept.He has built some awesome headers among a ton of other cool things. It would be awesome to have one. but for me Cost is too great. Maybe one day.

The quality and workmanship look great on it.

We at the Z car side had SFP make a small run of headers for our turbo vehicles. All I can say is if you care to, read the posts about SFP, they werent very well crafted and fitment was always an issue.

That is a great looking header, and I like what the owner said, the engine bay is not a decorative bathroom.

How much more true could that statement be.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t...ight=SFP+header

J-Taylor had a SFP header, It was horrible. The Flange had rust pits all in it and it would not come CLOSE to bolting up. He sent it back to them and months later he gets it back and it STILL would not fit. If you could maybe get with James Thagard @ www.speedshopthagard.com He might help out in the header dept.He has built some awesome headers among a ton of other cool things. It would be awesome to have one. but for me Cost is too great. Maybe one day.

That post sums up my experience with SFP as well. I tried 5 different alterations to 3 different headers and probably spent $100 just in shipping to get a SFP header to work. I had zero success.

• 2 months later...

This is one of the sexiest pieces that I've ever seen!

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1039/1790846/9871119/140782675.jpg

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1039/1790846/9871119/140782674.jpg

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1039/1790846/9871119/140782673.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! that thing looks nice. Will you have room for a compressor to sit on there with out hitting number 2 runner? would love to see some pics of it bolted to the head in the engine bay. It looks like the Wastgate will dump back into the down pipe or will you be running 2 "downpipes"?