Chads MPI vs. Magna MPI, worth the extra $?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heefner:

Easy there man, I'm not attacking, or asking that Chad "Prove" himself. I'm asking about a flow comparison of ALL the intakes.

Just my oppinion, but we can debate based on looking at them all day long but I want to see some actual comparisons. Preferably Dyno runs.

personally I would rather support someone in the USA build MPI's from scratch rather then buying a mock up from down under...

My 2C

a mock up from down under?  didnt mitsubishi make the magna intake?  im all for supporting our own members building intakes, but cost efficiancy is sometimes needed with our cars.

Nothing towards you Kris just chatting.... but much as Chad came out to list all the reasons as to why his intake is better than EIP's at a mere 900 bucks and not even have any kind of hard data (a simple dyno run would do) to reference that it is in fact superior-proven-reliable-whatever then the stacks, plenum, retaining AC, cruise, thermo housing and water lines don't really mean jack.  Maybe at least like bolting on your own car and driving up and down the street a few times?  EIP show flow numbers?  No...but at least they show a conquest insanely screaming down the track.  If Chad's intake is hi-po steal for 900 bucks? We agree only time will tell.   I feel the magna has alot of potential - this is unchartered water and the EIP cannon you have on your car is golden.

I suppose you could flow bench test the intake but why should Chad have to prove his product over anyone elses?  The magan and EIP don't have any test numbers.  If you compare the three intakes, Chad's is most simmilar to EIP's in that it has a larger plenum and shorter intake runners than the Magna.  I can speak for EIP's intake and I like it.  There are a few things that makes Chad's better IMO.  He has the velocity stacks in side the plenum, you can retain the a/c, cruise, water lines to turbo, and the stock thermostat and housing.  For high horsepower Chad also has an intake that will allow for 2 injectors per cylinder. Its only a matter of time before some gets results from Chad's intake so that we can compare all three.

-Kris

Maybe at least like bolting on your own car and driving up and down the street a few times?  EIP show flow numbers?  No...but at least they show a conquest insanely screaming down the track.  

ROFLMAO

"Maybe at least like bolting on your own car and driving up and down the street a few times?  EIP show flow numbers?  No...but at least they show a conquest insanely screaming down the track. "

Yeah I suppose that wouldn't hurt  :)  You would think if Chad really wanted to sell these he would bolt it on to a running car.  Hopefully time will tell.

Geesh, you guys never seem to hesitate to bash a guy who tries to do some good around here making stuff from scratch for the community.  :'(

There's good reason why I haven't tried too hard to get these on my own car, I have a life...  Since I started making them I've had to close my electrical contracting business (crappy economy),  changed jobs, gotten gotten married, moved myself and wife 100 miles, and have a new baby on the way.  Not to mention the long hours at work as an electrician -and- owning a resturant.  I rarely have time to work on these, let alone my own car.  I spent a lof ot time developing this (many hundereds of hours) and many thousands $$ in material and tooling.

So... Go and you will see... (cut/paste) :

http://www.geocities.com/chad86tsi/DCP00581.jpg

:o KICK a**!!  So were you just gonna keep this a secret till someone pissed you off enough to slap them in the face.   I guess time will tell!  What kind of engine managment and turbo are you running?

that's what i'm taklin about ;D

looks to be a monster in the making.  where did you find that intercooler?  that thing is pretty sweet.  keep it up.

p.s.- please send me some more pics and specs of your car if you could, i would love to be able to compare setups.

Alright we wait for the #'s.

#'s #'s #'s, Hey Chad hurry and put up some #'s that way FNF will be happy and even if you are pushing freaking 600hp I'm sure he will have something negative to say. Nevermind the awesome engine bay and hard work he obviously put into it FNF, don't even comment on that, #'s #'s #'s, I think he gets the idea!!! As he said, he's a busy guy, you've got 3-4 cars just as he does and you know how tough it is to get even one of them up to par to where it is ready to be tested on the dyno and hundreds of bucks thrown at it as you are doing so, you've got most of the goodies, you put up some #'s!! Why can't you? Well maybe it's not all set up just yet, same for him, I'm sure he will put up some #'s just as soon as things are all aligned and ready as far as the performance parts, $, and his time. He's not going to go blow hundreds of dollars on dyno runs just to satisfy anyone, I'm sure he's got dyno runs right there in his plans but when he's good and ready.

I see where you, and others are coming from, heck yeah it would be awesome to see some dyno #'s with that big ole intake!! I'm sure you'd even sale your Magna and buy one of his intakes if it out performed your Magna, you probably have nothing against him but I just think some guys need to step back and ease off of the guy a bit. Like I said, #'s, he's heard it, he gets the idea. No offense meant and I'm sure no offense taken. Not taking any sides just telling how I see it, I consider both of you guys as friends.

I too am ready to see some #'s, whether it be from Chad's car or my own.  hopefully one of these days the machine shop will finish my motor and we get that Marnal GP going, then all that's left is putting it all together.  Chad looks quite a bit ahead of me, but his is much much prettier under the hood.  soon enough, you can't rush perfection.

I don't know chad from a tree in the ground.  I did not come on here saying I had an intake for 900 bucks listing why it is better than EIP's.......a person who once owned his intake told me all about it so I am very interested in seeing what it can do in the way it was described, looks aren't everything.  Nothing negative just needs to live up to the list of claims....  I don't make performance parts claims then try to prove them.  If he makes over 600hp thats great.  But buying on the premise of his of his 'good name' alone ain't gonna cut it for me.

#'s #'s #'s, Hey Chad hurry and put up some #'s that way FNF will be happy and even if you are pushing freaking 600hp I'm sure he will have something negative to say. Nevermind the awesome engine bay and hard work he obviously put into it FNF, don't even comment on that, #'s #'s #'s, I think he gets the idea!!! As he said, he's a busy guy, you've got 3-4 cars just as he does and you know how tough it is to get even one of them up to par to where it is ready to be tested on the dyno and hundreds of bucks thrown at it as you are doing so, you've got most of the goodies, you put up some #'s!! Why can't you? Well maybe it's not all set up just yet, same for him, I'm sure he will put up some #'s just as soon as things are all aligned and ready as far as the performance parts, $, and his time. He's not going to go blow hundreds of dollars on dyno runs just to satisfy anyone, I'm sure he's got dyno runs right there in his plans but when he's good and ready.

I see where you, and others are coming from, heck yeah it would be awesome to see some dyno #'s with that big ole intake!! I'm sure you'd even sale your Magna and buy one of his intakes if it out performed your Magna, you probably have nothing against him but I just think some guys need to step back and ease off of the guy a bit. Like I said, #'s, he's heard it, he gets the idea. No offense meant and I'm sure no offense taken. Not taking any sides just telling how I see it, I consider both of you guys as friends.

I don't know chad from a tree in the ground.  I did not come on here saying I had an intake for 900 bucks listing why it is better than EIP's.......a person who once owned his intake told me all about it so I am very interested in seeing what it can do in the way it was described, looks aren't everything.  Nothing negative just needs to live up to the list of claims....  I don't make performance parts claims then try to prove them.  If he makes over 600hp thats great.  But buying on the premise of his of his 'good name' alone ain't gonna cut it for me.

My question is why do you even care? You've got your intake, it's not affecting you. Ok so you wouldn't buy it because he hasn't put up #'s, that's great, you've made your point, he has not put up any #'s so don't buy one, we all know that, FNF WANTS CHAD TO PUT UP DYNO #'s or EVEN BOLT THE THING ON FOR A TEST DRIVE, everybody understand?! I know the person you are talking about that got that intake, he bought it second hand from another person. I'd be willing to bet that if I bought anything from Chad and had any complaints about it he'd tell me to send that thing right back to him and he'd address it. We can focus on the negative all we want, what about the guy on this thread that said he was real satisfied with the quality of his intake from Chad?

i just recieved my intake from chad, and to say the least, this thing is beautiful.  it is even one of his early models, some of the welds aren't quite perfect, but he pressure tested to make sure it would be good to go.  personally, i believe the velocity stack design to be a very good one, and there's a lot more plenum volume in this intake than the magna, which is a good thing for a car that needs to breathe a lot.  and it is light.  this thing weighs several pounds less than the stock manifold

Lets cut the crap, people selling things make claims all of the time, sometimes they are true, sometimes they are not. And I'd have to say that yes reputation has a lot to do with it, the fact that someone is skilled, knowledgable, and trustworthy with a good record of dealings in the past is very appealing to a buyer. We know very well of companies out there selling goodies for our cars boasting about this and that but they have no #'s, yet we know a 2.5" downpipe beats the hell out of a crappy stock convertor, a Magna intake beats the hell out of the stock intake, an open air can is better then a stock air can, and Chad's intake beats the hell out of the stock intake, these are all common sense. If he feels his intake is superiors to EIP's then hell yeah, rock on! Why not let us know if that's the way he truly feels? I sold SS lines and said they were superior to the stock lines, announced it right there on my SS webpage, did I ever proove it? Nope, hell, I bet it helped sale some lines though. Besides, I truly thought they were better.

K O you did install the lines on your car and make sure they were worthy ?before you started shipping them out correct ? so you at least had some ideas about length sizes heat ability etc. I will never buy another unproven product myself, unless its through somebody that can give me a terra firma that it works , holes are drilled to spec. and it holds fuel pressure. We all have a lot to learn here .  

I was the first person to ever buy KO's oil cooler lines.  They have never been installed on anyones car including KO's before I bought them.   I used some judgement on how they were made, etc. in order to tell me if they would work or not.   I didn't rely on someone else to try them first.   Sometimes you just have to use your own judgement rather than seeing actual experimental results.   To me, that is one of the things that is fun with messing around with these cars.   I enjoy to experiment on my own at times.  

FnF got on me once for saying that Chad's intake is the best you can buy.  He stated that I have no proof, which is true.  So I will clarify, I feel that Chad's intake has the most potential out of the others available.   Engineeringwise, it has more potential for power on our vehicles in racing situations.   Chad did a lot of research in designing intakes when he made this.  He designed it similar to other custom made intakes on other engines.   I have yet to see a custom intake made for racing purposes look anything like the Magna!   The magna was made for an economical n/a car!  It provides performance enhancements over a TBI system but I feel it is far from the best we can do.  

And yes I chose to have the Magna intake over Chad's.  Reason being is that I got on the Magna GP already before Chad's was available and also the price was lower.   I have to stick to a budget somewhat on my rebuild.  

kev

Well i know the Magna intake is trash but it did power and Aussie Drag car to the 9's and a aussie Rail car in the 8's (both with no IC even). Yes its a Stock intake BUT its a VERY good Stock intake it was made to flow for the magna head which flows as much as a race ported normal non jet head. Unless you get a magna head their is no need at all to get anything "better" then a Magna intake. The intake like chads and EIP are good intakes if you plan on having a 8k red line. Short runners not ideal for low rever (under 7k). The Magna Intake has "ram" inlets. With a very proper sized plentum. This intake could be ported for larger runners if needed.

I was the first person to ever buy KO's oil cooler lines.  They have never been installed on anyones car including KO's before I bought them.   I used some judgement on how they were made, etc. in order to tell me if they would work or not.   I didn't rely on someone else to try them first.   Sometimes you just have to use your own judgement rather than seeing actual experimental results.   To me, that is one of the things that is fun with messing around with these cars.   I enjoy to experiment on my own at times.  

FnF got on me once for saying that Chad's intake is the best you can buy.  He stated that I have no proof, which is true.  So I will clarify, I feel that Chad's intake has the most potential out of the others available.   Engineeringwise, it has more potential for power on our vehicles in racing situations.   Chad did a lot of research in designing intakes when he made this.  He designed it similar to other custom made intakes on other engines.   I have yet to see a custom intake made for racing purposes look anything like the Magna!   The magna was made for an economical n/a car!  It provides performance enhancements over a TBI system but I feel it is far from the best we can do.  

And yes I chose to have the Magna intake over Chad's.  Reason being is that I got on the Magna GP already before Chad's was available and also the price was lower.   I have to stick to a budget somewhat on my rebuild.  

kev

AMEN my brotha.

Well i know the Magna intake is trash but it did power and Aussie Drag car to the 9's and a aussie Rail car in the 8's (both with no IC even). Yes its a Stock intake BUT its a VERY good Stock intake it was made to flow for the magna head which flows as much as a race ported normal non jet head. Unless you get a magna head their is no need at all to get anything "better" then a Magna intake. The intake like chads and EIP are good intakes if you plan on having a 8k red line. Short runners not ideal for low rever (under 7k). The Magna Intake has "ram" inlets. With a very proper sized plentum. This intake could be ported for larger runners if needed.

Ok, it seems you've gotten the impression that we were bashing the Magna.  i for one think it is a great setup for a daily driver car and still has the potential to make excellent power.  but, like kev said, sometimes you have to just trust your own good judgement.  it never hurts to be a little bit different.  i like the engineering behind his intake and i stand behind my own decision to buy it.

like it has been said before, only time will tell.  and i'll be sure to let everyone know how it works out.

Call it negative or whatever, just calling it like I see it.  A SSbraided brake line is a pretty known thing in automobile plumbing, toilet water connections, and washer water hook ups, and most high pressure hose and fluid applications for the added strenght and longevity vs a rubber hose.  Taking a chance on a 100 dollar line that everyone knows the benefits of them even untested is not like taking a chance for an intake custom intake manifold for over 1000 bucks.  Why do I care?  Because I would want someone to help me weigh the pro and cons in my 1000 dollar decision with the very limited option we have, especially when what money we have is hard enough to come by for an upgrade.  As far as something being wrong and Xhad fixing it?  He sounds pretty busy....

kev

Kev, I am prepared to pay you in full for whatever you have in your Magna , so that you can go ahead and purchase the intake from Chad, hell ill even throw in a $100 extra for gaskets and such so you can get what you want, Chads setup . Offer stands to anybody who has a Magna MPI and would like to put their support into Chad' or for that matter, Heefner can go chads too ill take the EIP off your hands .